Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
SMF-LAX-TUS $159 one way from coach to F

basically the same as booking F, which was $305 one way...my coach fare was $139
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by VFR
Is it new that FCM offers can quote prices in miles? I'm being given an offer for $74.18 or 6,900 miles on PHL-BOS.

Just got an email saying this is rolling out officially on delta.com, and in the app in 2019...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by defrosted
Just got an email saying this is rolling out officially on delta.com, and in the app in 2019...
Yeah, I received the email this morning. It's been discussed both here and on several blogs.

I think it's interesting for two other reasons.

First, Delta must have hundreds of millions of unredeemed miles circulating. Obviously, corporate would rather customers use miles for upgrades, buying premium alcohol in lounges and so forth than using miles for flights. I presume because planes are so full that Delta would rather have cash revenue. As they say, cash is king. I can understand that position, but what's objectionable -- truly objectionable -- is devaluing miles. It's one thing if the award-redemption seats are never available. It's altogether something else if you're artificially devaluing the miles to the point where nobody in their right mind collects miles to redeem for that dream, aspirational trip to Bora Bora or wherever. I mean, seriously, 500,000-plus miles for under 8 hours in business-class to Paris is outrageous. At that rate, Australia and South Africa will be 1,000,000 miles.

Second, most of us presume that the number of Delta diamonds will drop in February since they've it more difficult to qualify for the top level of elite status without legitimately spending $15,000 or more on airfare and flying 125,000 MQMs. Presumably they figure there will be enough former diamonds willing to pay $50, $70, $125 or even $200 to get the upgrade they're no longer going to get.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Here's the press release Delta just sent out to the media:

How Delta is making it easier to upgrade using your miles

SkyMiles Members can use industry-leading delta.com function to pay for seat upgrades after booking​Delta SkyMiles Members wanting a little extra leg room or the premium Delta experience can now purchase that upgrade using miles instead of cash on Delta.com after booking their ticket. Delta is an industry leader in offering this simple self-service option via its website, with the same functionality coming to its award-winning Fly Delta app in early 2019.

Using miles for upgrades after booking builds on the functionality Delta pioneered with post-purchase upgrades last year that allows customers to buy a premium seat online using either the same or a different method of payment from the one they used to buy their ticket.

Sandeep Dube, Senior Vice President — Customer Engagement & Loyalty and CEO of Delta Vacations, said expanding the use of miles is about providing SkyMiles Members with more flexibility and an easier way to choose the experience that best meets their needs.

This new option, made possible by Delta's ongoing digital investments, will give Members traveling for business or leisure the ability to use their personal miles to upgrade their experience whenever they fly — and miles can be used to upgrade a single leg or multiple legs of a journey.

"Whether you're just starting to build your SkyMiles account, or you've been collecting miles for years, Delta is making all of our Members' miles more valuable by offering more ways to use them for Delta purchases, big and small," he said. "Our ultimate goal is for SkyMiles Members to have the choice to use miles anywhere they can use cash with Delta, and to be able to make those transactions available in digital channels."

Delta already offers SkyMiles Members the option to redeem miles for items digitally, including award travel, gift cards, Delta Vacations, SkyMiles Experiences and in Delta Sky Clubs.

Here's how it works after a ticket has been purchased:

A customer can log in to Delta.com to buy Delta Comfort+, First Class, Delta Premium Select, or Delta One as an add-on, or ancillary purchase, as available — regardless of where or how the original ticket was purchased. The customer can select a premium seat on any individual segment of their journey, or the entire trip, and use miles or a different method of payment for the transaction. Only flight segments operated by Delta are eligible for purchasing upgrades after booking a ticket, subject to availability.

Delta already offers customers the option to upgrade using miles or cash during the booking process on each leg of the trip, based on availability.

Dube added that with more customers than ever earning miles for activities other than flying - like using their Delta SkyMiles American Express Credit Card, grabbing a Lyft or staying at an Airbnb — even Members with lower balances will find their miles more valuable as the global airline expands the ability to use them.

This latest customer offering is part of the innovative investments Delta is making in its SkyMiles program, which was recently named a Best Travel Rewards program by U.S. News & World Report. Industry-leading partnerships with brands like Lyft and Airbnb allow customers to engage with Delta by earning miles for everyday activities, while the award-winning Delta Sky Club experience continues to be a reason Members choose to fly Delta.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It's altogether something else if you're artificially devaluing the miles to the point where nobody in their right mind collects miles to redeem for that dream, aspirational trip to Bora Bora or wherever. I mean, seriously, 500,000-plus miles for under 8 hours in business-class to Paris is outrageous. At that rate, Australia and South Africa will be 1,000,000 miles.
You must be asleep at the wheel - Sydney and Johannesburg are already 960K miles all the time (although I do recall seeing some 580K availability not too long ago.. not sure if it is still there).
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ethernal
You must be asleep at the wheel - Sydney and Johannesburg are already 960K miles all the time (although I do recall seeing some 580K availability not too long ago.. not sure if it is still there).
That's just insane. I had to do a search so I just went to Delta.com. According to what I saw there is only one day between now and June 1 when a round-trip award redemption between Detroit and Sydney is under 500,000 miles in business-class (440,000 miles on January 21, 2019). Meanwhile, there are only two or three days where a redemption is under 600,000 miles. There were quite a few days in February in the 610,000–740,000 range with all of the periods being around 930,000 miles. Outrageous.

There's no way I would fly economy-class, at least on miles, to Sydney. But if you had to there is lots of availability, including during Australian summer, for under 100,000 miles round-trip.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
That's just insane. I had to do a search so I just went to Delta.com. According to what I saw there is only one day between now and June 1 when a round-trip award redemption between Detroit and Sydney is under 500,000 miles in business-class (440,000 miles on January 21, 2019). Meanwhile, there are only two or three days where a redemption is under 600,000 miles. There were quite a few days in February in the 610,000–740,000 range with all of the periods being around 930,000 miles. Outrageous.

There's no way I would fly economy-class, at least on miles, to Sydney. But if you had to there is lots of availability, including during Australian summer, for under 100,000 miles round-trip.
This is honestly better than it used to be. For a period of time these routes were truly blacklisted - it was 960K (or maybe it was 930K) for every date. At least now there are "options".
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most of the good deals now on DL miles are in coach. people have been talking about getting round trips from the west coast to EU for like 30-40K sometimes even less. that is real good if you can tolerate the abuse of Y.

my strategy now is use the miles for domestic hops in coach, and spend the money on international PE and J. i won't make status anymore with that strategy, but don't really care since upgrades are going to basically disappear soon anyways with people redeeming their miles for "FCM" upgrades.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Can't compare miles any longer because they are not a mile-for-mile or dollar-for-dollar award. Until DL shifts to a simple points system where every $1 in spend gets you a point, the suckerspassengers will keep looking at what they earn, not what a ticket costs.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Can't compare miles any longer because they are not a mile-for-mile or dollar-for-dollar award. Until DL shifts to a simple points system where every $1 in spend gets you a point, the suckerspassengers will keep looking at what they earn, not what a ticket costs.
The problem with the current system is Delta talks about rewarding customers who spend the most but then cap the number of miles you can earn on a ticket. If you buy the $7,000, $8,000, $10,000 tickets for Delta One you aren't actually getting all the miles you should be getting.
emrdoc, KenTarmac and PV_Premier like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Just saw this on my trips page: Is this normal for a 1200 mile/3 hour trip? Is it because maybe it is an international itinerary, FC is $787 to buy outright (difference between C + and FC is $275). I saw that most of econony is nearly full, but FC is 75% empty and Comfort + is 60% empty. My tickets are award tickets I got for 7K miles each in Comfort +.

Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eknock007
Just saw this on my trips page: Is this normal for a 1200 mile/3 hour trip? Is it because maybe it is an international itinerary, FC is $787 to buy outright (difference between C + and FC is $275). I saw that most of econony is nearly full, but FC is 75% empty and Comfort + is 60% empty. My tickets are award tickets I got for 7K miles each in Comfort +.
Is it normal? Not really, but nothing is normal with FCM. What you are seeing is more of a symptom of bad IT than anything else. I have a similar one right now, for travel next week SFO-JFK -- got award ticket for 9k one way, FCM offer is $965 but at the time I bought the ticket, a Z fare in D1 was only $749 one way.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Is it normal? Not really, but nothing is normal with FCM. What you are seeing is more of a symptom of bad IT than anything else. I have a similar one right now, for travel next week SFO-JFK -- got award ticket for 9k one way, FCM offer is $965 but at the time I bought the ticket, a Z fare in D1 was only $749 one way.
I just thought it was comical when I saw it. As if somehow, the allure of a first class seat on a pseudo-domestic 3-hour flight was worth nearly $1000 to someone. I guess that is the reason why most of the front of this flight is empty at the moment. Normally these flights in FC to this destination run between $300 and $400. I guess Delta is just trying to exploit the fact that we are entering the winter break (peak travel period). All that matters is that we will still get free booze in Comfort +.
KenTarmac and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
MSP - SLC for $157 on DEC 5.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL
SFO-ATL on the 22nd: $385
ATL-JAX: $109

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.