Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Reply

Old Dec 9, 18, 3:37 pm
  #4066  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Now: SAT. Previously: SEA, DAY/CVG
Programs: Delta PM
Posts: 4,793
$896 or 83,400 miles to UG TPA-ATL (and only that leg - no buy-up offer for leg two to SAT.)

Is 250 extra MQMs worth the extra $896? Or would it be better to use 83,400 miles for a F upgrade on ATL-TPA over an Int’l J award redemption?

ATOBTTR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 18, 3:48 pm
  #4067  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 1,800
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
$896 or 83,400 miles to UG TPA-ATL (and only that leg - no buy-up offer for leg two to SAT.)

Is 250 extra MQMs worth the extra $896? Or would it be better to use 83,400 miles for a F upgrade on ATL-TPA over an Int’l J award redemption?
In fairness, I don't think 83,400 will get you any international J awards anymore. Isn't 86K the new 82K (in the unlikely chance you find any awards at that rate)?
ethernal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 18, 4:10 pm
  #4068  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 11,777
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
... 83,400 miles for a F upgrade ...
in this case, “F up-” is right, and “-grade” is superfluous
jrl767 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 18, 4:12 pm
  #4069  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 5,858
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
In fairness, I don't think 83,400 will get you any international J awards anymore. Isn't 86K the new 82K (in the unlikely chance you find any awards at that rate)?
Maybe on a partner airline, though a couple of blogs have suggested Delta's award-redemption prices are much lower if you're originating outside the United States even on flights with Delta metal.

But regardless, Detroit–Paris ranges between 205,000 and 210,000 miles round-trip in economy for most of December. In January and February, it's mostly in the 105,000–116,000 range, though there are some dates around Valentine's Day for 50,000 miles round-trip. For Delta One business-class, the cheapest between now and the end of March was 150,000 for two days in February. On many dates Delta wants 560,000 miles round-trip for business-class, which is highway robbery if you ask me.
hockeyinsider is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 18, 4:48 pm
  #4070  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 1,800
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Maybe on a partner airline, though a couple of blogs have suggested Delta's award-redemption prices are much lower if you're originating outside the United States even on flights with Delta metal.

But regardless, Detroit–Paris ranges between 205,000 and 210,000 miles round-trip in economy for most of December. In January and February, it's mostly in the 105,000–116,000 range, though there are some dates around Valentine's Day for 50,000 miles round-trip. For Delta One business-class, the cheapest between now and the end of March was 150,000 for two days in February. On many dates Delta wants 560,000 miles round-trip for business-class, which is highway robbery if you ask me.
Careful, @LBJ will come here and highlight the one random Tuesday to the one random European city that we didn't even know DL flies to on a 763 and show us how we're wrong that these 86K one way J fares don't exist..
ethernal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 18, 5:17 pm
  #4071  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CLE
Programs: UA Silver, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Posts: 741
Just curious why the system isn't offering an upsell to F when the flight has 5 F seats for sale and 4 "R" availability in F. I'm no status, in EC flying ATL-MSY tomorrow. Couple days ago it was offering the upsell for something like $139.
paule123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 18, 11:48 pm
  #4072  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSN
Programs: Delta DM, Ritz PP, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,956
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post
Just curious why the system isn't offering an upsell to F when the flight has 5 F seats for sale and 4 "R" availability in F. I'm no status, in EC flying ATL-MSY tomorrow. Couple days ago it was offering the upsell for something like $139.
I see this fairly regularly. It seems to hit a certain threshold of something and then stops the offers. I have called DM line and gotten offers in line with what was there before sometimes and other times it was outrageous.
bergamini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 18, 6:04 am
  #4073  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 5,858
I think revenue management has to have astronomical prices for upgrades because they need to convince us, psychologically, that first-class is worth paying at the time of booking. If you know you can always upgrade for $75 or $100, let alone get a complimentary upgrade at the gatehouse, you'll never pay for first-class. I doubt anyone is paying $896.23 for Tampa to Atlanta.
hockeyinsider is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 18, 8:29 am
  #4074  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 1,800
Originally Posted by bergamini View Post
I see this fairly regularly. It seems to hit a certain threshold of something and then stops the offers. I have called DM line and gotten offers in line with what was there before sometimes and other times it was outrageous.
As I mentioned above, I feel like DL is easing off of FCM offers when there are fewer than 5 seats or it's within 1-2 days of departure. It may just be anecdotal but I have seen a lot more F seats going to the gate on the same routes I used to take.

Heck, on a flight this AM, I was #18 on the F upgrade list but still managed to grab a C+ seat at the gate. This would never have happened to me even a few months ago.

It's nice because I have a new record of not sitting in the very last row of the plane - a full month now - thanks to either F upgrades going through or someone getting bumped to F and me being able to get their C+ seat.
ethernal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 18, 10:13 am
  #4075  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Rochester, MN
Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Posts: 715
How much is a FC meal worth, in value terms?
Hawkeyefan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 18, 10:21 am
  #4076  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 1,800
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan View Post
How much is a FC meal worth, in value terms?
Isn't that a subjective question? From a pure monetary perspective it isn't worth more than any $15-20 meal you could find at the airport. The real question is the opportunity cost - if being able to eat on the plane means you don't need to eat on the ground, that may save you time - and time is money, but the amount of money time equals is variable between people.
ethernal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 18, 10:28 am
  #4077  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
If time is the reason you can't eat on the ground you're probably missing a lot of flights.
pvn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 18, 10:35 am
  #4078  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 1,800
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
If time is the reason you can't eat on the ground you're probably missing a lot of flights.
What's that supposed to mean? I generally aim to get to clear security and get to the gate at T-40. I'm pretty good at achieving +/- 5 minutes on this (with the big variable of course being security). I've never missed a flight (except a SDC I did while sitting in a terrible traffic jam that delayed me in aggregate of 3 hours - and getting to the airport a half hour earlier wouldn't have saved me there).

While one could argue that you don't have to board at T-40, that begins to trigger a whole separate set of time tradeoffs related to dropping off and picking up a checked bag.

I definitely view the single biggest value of a first class meal as being the fact that it saves me from having to worry about a meal on the ground before/after a flight.
emrdoc likes this.
ethernal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 18, 10:36 am
  #4079  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
it means it takes like 2 minutes to grab a sandwich at a kiosk
pvn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 18, 10:38 am
  #4080  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 1,800
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
it means it takes like 2 minutes to grab a sandwich at a kiosk
Fair, but I assumed we were talking about a hot meal. Even a fast food stop at the airport seems to take 10-15 minutes in aggregate these days. If that is the comparison point then you might as well say the value of the meal is $10.99 since that is the cost of the wrap they serve in Y.
ethernal is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread