Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MarkP24
They're offering $506 for JFK- SLC upgrade to F. I
Man, it's amazing how drastically these things can fluctuate. I paid $272 two weeks ago for MCO-LAX and $344 for a total of 3 segments between Nassau and SEA: NAS-ATL, ATL-MSP and MSP-SEA. I guess any flight ex-JFK Is going to command a premium, particularly over leisure locations like MCO and NAS.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
$168 one way SEA-RDU. Tempted but maybe not tempted enough.
Dude I would jump on that. I'd imagine that's a tough comp upgrade to get unless you're a PM, at minimum .
MEABFlyer and MarkP24 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
Man, it's amazing how drastically these things can fluctuate. I paid $272 two weeks ago for MCO-LAX and $344 for a total of 3 segments between Nassau and SEA: NAS-ATL, ATL-MSP and MSP-SEA. I guess any flight ex-JFK Is going to command a premium, particularly over leisure locations like MCO and NAS.
I assume it will continue to fluctuate, as they haven't sold many seats and need to offload some at a higher price. The weird thing is I can't even use a RUC, I can only waitlist it, so perhaps they assume there will be high demand for the F cabin (especially as it's hub to hub).
Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MarkP24
They're offering $506 for JFK- SLC upgrade to F. I think I'm going to hope for a complimentary upgrade as a Platinum, as there are over 15 seats left in F for a midweek flight. Anyone think it's worth waitlisting a RUC?
You are effectively asking anonymous people on the internet to answer a "is it worth it" question for you. That is very difficult to do. I don't know anything about you. Is ~$500 a lot of money for you? Or is it chump change that you won't even notice on your credit card statement? Do you usually fly up front or rarely? Are you miffed if not up front? Or are you fine in an exit row/C+ seat?

Ultimately, only you can make the call as to whether $506 is "worth it." If it was me, I wouldn't pay that for a this route, no way (and I can easily afford it) as I just don't see the value. I'd be fine in exit/C+ and spend that money more effectively at my destination.

Regards
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
The PDX-SEA segment is now down to $118 but unchanged on ATL. The plane is a 752 so I'll definitely keep watching and hold out for at most $300. Not sure i would bother on a 739.
With about one more week to go before my trip, I checked my offers yesterday and the PDX-SEA segment wasn't available but the SEA-ATL segment was down to $417. Today the PDX-SEA segment is (again) available for $77 but SEA-ATL is not offered... I checked the seat map and there are still 7 free seats in F. What game are they playing? I guess I'll check again at T-121 hours before Plats & Diamonds get upgraded.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Here’s a steal of a deal. ATL-MCO $389 for the luxury of F for 1 hour and 23 minutes. I passed
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
SDQ-JFK in 10 days. Booked on an award ticket. $458 for upgrade to 1st on an early morning flight with 12 seats open. No thanks, my upgrade as a PM should clear at the window.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM
My current “opportunity” to upgrade to first TPA-ATL is $393.93 one month out. Current price to purchase that seat outright: $382.20. IME this is par for the course for that route. I find if I plan ahead, make sure I get enough rest the night before, eat well, dress comfortably and fill up on free booze at the SC right before boarding, I can make it through an hour in coach. /s
MEABFlyer and MarkP24 like this.

Last edited by dalehill; Nov 3, 2018 at 9:43 am Reason: clarification
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Minneapolis MSP–Jacksonville JAX
$156.90
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by scubadu
You are effectively asking anonymous people on the internet to answer a "is it worth it" question for you. That is very difficult to do. I don't know anything about you. Is ~$500 a lot of money for you? Or is it chump change that you won't even notice on your credit card statement? Do you usually fly up front or rarely? Are you miffed if not up front? Or are you fine in an exit row/C+ seat?

Ultimately, only you can make the call as to whether $506 is "worth it." If it was me, I wouldn't pay that for a this route, no way (and I can easily afford it) as I just don't see the value. I'd be fine in exit/C+ and spend that money more effectively at my destination.

Regards
Understood. I was curious about other people's thoughts from their viewpoint, and whether they'd waitlist a RUC for this route. Personally, I don't think it's worth the $506, and as a Platinum, I get upgraded enough (probably about 50% of the time), and for a long flight like JFK-SLC (midweek with an unknown chance of complimentary upgrade clearing), I'm debating whether to throw a RUC at it to increase my chances.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Dude I would jump on that. I'd imagine that's a tough comp upgrade to get unless you're a PM, at minimum .
I cleared a Sunday SEA-RDU as a PM on a U Fare at the PM window. I don't think it's all that hard but that said, I'd still pay the upfare too.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Count me as one who grabbed a low upfare once and after that all my flights came with ridiculous high upfares greater than a clean up fare to a published fare in first.

I look forward to Delta offering Medallion members lower upfares with lower earned MQ mileage accruals a week out from the schedule, just so I don't have to do the walk of shame aboard the aircraft if I standby and don't clear a freebie
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by CMK10
I cleared a Sunday SEA-RDU as a PM on a U Fare at the PM window. I don't think it's all that hard but that said, I'd still pay the upfare too.
I’m rolling the dice on it since it’s a work trip, I have a C+ aisle already and I just shelled out for an AF business upgrade on a long TATL. As of the moment (about a week out) there are 7 vacant seats in F only about half the C+ map occupied. I’m not 100% confidence on the upgrade but enough to take my chances. If not I’ll survive in coach.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I am PM but decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. If it was still the 738 on this route, I would have passed but the A319 means both smaller cabin (bad for comp upgrade) but better F product. Plus was able to lock-in a non-bulkhead row 3 seat.

Plus booked into C so will take bonus MQM. Doesn't help me for 2018 (won't get to 125k) but more rollover for next year at least.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:01 pm

JFK-PHX

They're offering me $418 for an upgrade to F on JFK-PHX

Last edited by MarkP24; Nov 7, 2018 at 6:46 pm Reason: mistake- I had written LAX instead of PHX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.