Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old Jun 21, 18, 10:25 am

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
booked a one way award JFK-SKB (taking advantage of the awesome promotion at the Park Hyatt!) for 18,000 miles. FCM offer is $299. C+ is pretty wide open and there are still 12 FC seats less than a month out. I think I have a good shot of the comp UPG, so I'm passing.
Old Jun 21, 18, 11:55 am

Programs: Skymiles
Flew PVG-DTW yesterday. When I booked, it was $313 to upgrade to PS. Asked at the gate thinking something might have changed, it did. Was quoted $1070 to upgrade to PS one way. Ehh no...
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 21, 18, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
booked a one way award JFK-SKB (taking advantage of the awesome promotion at the Park Hyatt!) for 18,000 miles. FCM offer is $299. C+ is pretty wide open and there are still 12 FC seats less than a month out. I think I have a good shot of the comp UPG, so I'm passing.
The Delta computer program will no doubt recognize this history as well and open up the buy-up at the 24 hr mark for $99. Meanwhile you will have been already upgraded to C+ and awaiting another freebie to F which should go from 10-12-available to 1 available 2 hrs before the flight

good luck scoping out the Delta system
Old Jun 21, 18, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
The Delta computer program will no doubt recognize this history as well and open up the buy-up at the 24 hr mark for $99. Meanwhile you will have been already upgraded to C+ and awaiting another freebie to F which should go from 10-12-available to 1 available 2 hrs before the flight

good luck scoping out the Delta system
yea Iíll def be fine in C+ for 3.5 hours with multiple bloody Maryís and skipping on the mediocre FC quiche/omelette.....def not worth $299 for a breakfast flight even on a free award ticket.
Old Jun 27, 18, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
This gave me a good laugh for a OW ticket. Both legs currently have only 2 and 1 FC seats sold respectively.

Old Jun 27, 18, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I've been watching the holiday flights (Xmas, North East to Florida ) for buy-ups or even outright paid fare upgrades. They seem to have blocked most buy-ups to F as well as displaying no F seats available on their MD flights. If I do a dummy booking the F seats show all are available but the fare jumps to $1600-$1900 RT which of course is so unreasonable for the routing that nobody is buying it.

I am guessing that maybe they have not yet figured out what aircraft and routings will be available months from now and prefer not to encourage bookings in F until it gets sorted.

Any other ideas?
Old Jun 29, 18, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
I've been watching the holiday flights (Xmas, North East to Florida ) for buy-ups or even outright paid fare upgrades. They seem to have blocked most buy-ups to F as well as displaying no F seats available on their MD flights. If I do a dummy booking the F seats show all are available but the fare jumps to $1600-$1900 RT which of course is so unreasonable for the routing that nobody is buying it.

I am guessing that maybe they have not yet figured out what aircraft and routings will be available months from now and prefer not to encourage bookings in F until it gets sorted.

Any other ideas?
theyre playing chicken and betting the consumer will blink first. When I was looking at going to Florida last year at the holidays, coach tickets were $800-1000+ from the West Coast. They didnít really drop. And Iíd guess the flights went out full. I stayed home.
Old Jul 1, 18, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
This gave me a good laugh for a OW ticket. Both legs currently have only 2 and 1 FC seats sold respectively.

If Delta would serve good, real champagne in domestic first-class and bring back better catering then maybe, just maybe I would consider some of these first-class buy-ups. But this is insane, especially if you have an aisle seat in comfort plus or an exit row, non-middle seat.
Old Jul 1, 18, 6:35 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post

theyre playing chicken and betting the consumer will blink first. When I was looking at going to Florida last year at the holidays, coach tickets were $800-1000+ from the West Coast. They didnít really drop. And Iíd guess the flights went out full. I stayed home.
If you can reposition, check out Vancouver. Of late, I've been positioning myself to Toronto as the price for Delta first-class out of YYZ is often the same price as economy or comfort-plus out of Detroit. I've seen Montreal and Vancouver have similar low airfares.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 2, 18, 4:24 pm

Delta offered me a buy-up into first-class at $534.60 for DTW–LAX and $984.58 for LAX–DTW. The ticket was $1,000 and change.
Old Jul 11, 18, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA SILVER, PP, AMEX PLAT, SPG G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select
JFK-LAS Delta ONE Buy Up Offer

I purchased a ticket yesterday for a flight within 10 days JFK-LAS (757 D1 Plane) as a dummy to see what the buy up offer would be. Fare was $202 in Coach. D1 was $802. Buy up offer after check out and all of today has been at $981. Go figure.

Cancelled the ticket, as I will use points to actually buy a real ticket. (points offer is 12K which is decent in coach)

My question is being, has anyone gotten a reasonable offer on this segment? or similar segment with D1? Should I see it go down as we get closer? (were within 9 days) 11 open seats currently. I don't mind paying $3-350 but anything above that no desire. Otherwise I think I may just book EWR-LAS in J on United with AMEX Plat rebate but I really wanted to try D1.
Old Jul 11, 18, 1:36 pm

LGA-MIA recently was $299 one way buy up to FC (same cost as my post about JFK-SKB). I was on an award ticket but still got upgraded to FC at the GM window
Old Jul 12, 18, 12:43 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Interesting data point, I have an upcoming trip with one passenger on a cash ticket and another on an award ticket, the FCM offer is exactly the same for each on both the outbound and return.
Old Jul 12, 18, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
Interesting data point, I have an upcoming trip with one passenger on a cash ticket and another on an award ticket, the FCM offer is exactly the same for each on both the outbound and return.
The FCM buy-up offers seem invariant of the fare class bought. Interesting that it's the same for both passengers though (as the passenger seems to be the most common 'variable' - generally medallions are "rewarded" with more expensive buy-up offers for example).
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 13, 18, 11:16 am

Programs: DL PM
I am currently being offered C+ to FC on a TPA-ATL flight for the bargain price of $292.35. FC seats on that same flight right now are $261.20. It's actually insulting.
strickerj likes this.

Search this Thread