Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old May 21, 18, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
For BOS-CVG, I was offered ~$100 and change for a long time, and I didn't take it. It has since gone up to over $300 and is now sitting just under $300 for the upgrade. (Makes sense, since the ~$100 fare difference probably involved an advance purchase requirement).

I think I'll be alright in the only single seat on the 717

My connecting flight to ORD is a CRJ
Are you UG's to the wonderful bulkhead Comfort+ seats on the CRJ?
Old May 22, 18, 12:46 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
No. Either that row is blocked or already taken. They're not even offering it.

BOS-CVG is now $326.21 or $44.02 for C+.

At least I don't have a seatmate on CVG-ORD (yet).

EDIT 5/25: BOS-CVG is now $100.46, $44.02 for C+.

Last edited by diburning; May 25, 18 at 12:51 am
Old May 26, 18, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG/Marriott Platinum, DL
For the last two weeks, FCM offer on my DTW-SFO (one way) has been $986.85.
Tempting...
strickerj likes this.
Old May 27, 18, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by aacar View Post
For the last two weeks, FCM offer on my DTW-SFO (one way) has been $986.85.
Tempting...
I hope you're kidding ... $986.85 is not worth it, remotely.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old May 29, 18, 2:07 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL KM, GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓, CLEAR, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I hope you're kidding ... $986.85 is not worth it, remotely.
r/woosh lol
gooselee likes this.

Last edited by sky303; May 29, 18 at 2:12 pm
Old May 29, 18, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, IHG Spire Elite
I've been kind of bummed that FCM fares seem to have gone way up. From DFW-SLC it used to regularly be under $100 which was fair I thought. Typically $80-90. AA regularly has these buy up fares from $75-90 for F on the route, but Delta has jumped ahead, now it's typically $149 or more. I've skipped and as a DM have been upgraded almost every time, but if I could guarantee for say $75-80 I'd do it. Maybe I'm being cheap, but I'd say F isn't worth that much more when DM gets you a pretty fair shot at F class.
Old Jun 12, 18, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
No pricing to offer here - because it seems FCM is working too well. Looking on routes into ATW from BTR for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of this week and FC is sold out. Maybe 1 seat open on the map, but not being sold. After being on a long work trip I was looking to buy straight away, frustrating I can't even do that. Doesn't help they downgraded the afternoon ATL-ATW to a CRJ-700 this week. Seems Delta doesn't want to compete for pure market share with the addition of 3 round trips to ORD from AA and a few more from UA to ORD and trying to hold pricing via capacity. While I am tied in as a DM, tempting to give one of the others a try in FC just for fun. Other then no desire to travel through O'hare....
Old Jun 13, 18, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
I have a SEA-LAX today; C+ seat selected.

Earlier this week I saw I could select a First Seat for something more than $650 ... no thanks.

Last night while reviewing CFC options via online check-in, I saw I could select a First seat. Just for laughs I tried it, expecting some unrealistic figure but was surprised with just $29.

OK ... why not ...

I went though the process and but errored out right at the last stage. However, my CC was charged the $29 and my booking was showing the first seat I had selected.

This morning it has stuck.

BP show First (RY) as the class, so no extra status earn.
Old Jun 13, 18, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM; HZ PC; Natl Exec Elite; SPG; Amex Plat
I'm so used to bad FCM offers I've stopped checking, but I just got one that's not terrible: PDX-JFK for $224.68 on a red-eye 737. There are 13/20 seats showing open on the seat map at T-7d, so my UG chances as a DM are probably fairly high, but for the MQMs+MQDs and a guaranteed seat in F, you could do worse.
Old Jun 13, 18, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
I have a SEA-LAX today; C+ seat selected.

Earlier this week I saw I could select a First Seat for something more than $650 ... no thanks.

Last night while reviewing CFC options via online check-in, I saw I could select a First seat. Just for laughs I tried it, expecting some unrealistic figure but was surprised with just $29.

OK ... why not ...

I went though the process and but errored out right at the last stage. However, my CC was charged the $29 and my booking was showing the first seat I had selected.

This morning it has stuck.

BP show First (RY) as the class, so no extra status earn.
You don't get bonus MQM's/MQD's for FCM offers at OLCI.
Old Jun 13, 18, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm flying RSW-ATL tonight which is all of 75 minutes in the air. WN kiosk offered me $176 to buy up to Business Select. I feel like I need to experience how the other half does FCM for research purposes.
Old Jun 13, 18, 6:56 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I'm flying RSW-ATL tonight which is all of 75 minutes in the air. WN kiosk offered me $176 to buy up to Business Select. I feel like I need to experience how the other half does FCM for research purposes.
I think they'll often sell any unoccupied A1-15 at the gate for like $40.
Old Jun 13, 18, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH
First time here, but very glad I found this forum (if for no other reason than realizing others are sharing in the wealth of ridiculous FCM offers). DTW- LAS last week. Upgrade offer was originally $400 for FC and then disappeared, so I ended up taking a decent deal on C+. A few days before my trip, I saw that the price for FC had dropped but I couldn't upgrade online. Headache started when I called in...30 minutes of being told I didn't book w/ Delta and they couldn't help me (before looking up the code they saw to figure out it was through Delta Vacations (which I had already told them). They offered to upgrade me at $600 RT even after I had already paid for C+ (current difference from C+ to FC was about $250 RT). I asked about using miles, and was told that they C+ didn't qualify for miles upgrades and that I would have to pay $200 to downgrade my ticket first.

Now I have another trip booked next month (GRR-MSP-LAS), and it is the same deal. Fare difference is about $350. Offer was to upgrade at almost $800 RT... I guess that's the price I pay for getting sucked in on the dirt cheap FCM in the past, but I tend to get my money's worth in C+ at least.

1) Is it actually true that you can't use miles to upgrade C+ to FC?
2) Has anyone else had better luck getting reasonable upgrades through the phone agents?
Old Jun 13, 18, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
I think they'll often sell any unoccupied A1-15 at the gate for like $40.
Eh, I was mid-Bs but didn't even get to the gate until they were calling C1-30. Still got an aisle seat about 10 rows back that everyone was walking right by for some reason.

For that short of a flight, I'd rather deal with a middle and grab a nice bottle of wine on the way home.
Old Jun 13, 18, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
You don't get bonus MQM's/MQD's for FCM offers at OLCI.
No big deal - I was booked into W class in the first place, and am looking at Velocity status anyway.

Last edited by serfty; Jun 13, 18 at 11:26 pm

Search this Thread