Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
I'm no longer getting any FCM offers on my upcoming flights or last few completed flights. Kind of strange for them to have gone away. Got a couple of segments I wouldn't mind paying to upgrade.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
not sure if this has been reported by others but a cautionary tale about my most recent FCM experience and SDC

i bought a $117.80 one way ticket LAX-SMF in T class and later accepted an FCM for $41.93 from the booking page. the flight appeared to rebook in G class. note that this was the exact same cost as the price differential between T and G at the time that i accepted the FCM.

today i went to SDC the reservation (one of the primary reasons i chose to take the FCM) and was told that while my booking class was G, my fare class was T, and that my non-medallion companion was not eligible for premium cabin SDC fee waiver, nor was i eligible without paying an upfare to the lowest currently available fare class which was of course like S or something.

i was facing a check-in deadline at LAX and disconnected the call with the agent when i got to the front of the SP line at LAX T3. the agent there was able to override everything and rebook us in time to still make the check in cutoff and get on the 8:30am flight.

nonetheless, next time i see an FCM that is the same as the fare difference, i am just going to phone it in for a full blown ticket exchange.

DL really seems to have no idea what they are doing with this system once it goes beyond the idea of capturing additional revenue.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
today i went to SDC the reservation (one of the primary reasons i chose to take the FCM) and was told that while my booking class was G, my fare class was T, and that my non-medallion companion was not eligible for premium cabin SDC fee waiver, nor was i eligible without paying an upfare to the lowest currently available fare class which was of course like S or something.
They were right about one thing -- SDC fee waiver is by elite status, not premium cabin. There are various reports of agents waiving companion's SDC fee when accompanied by a GM+ but it's a favor, not the rule.

There has been speculation about whether new wording in the FCM offer would inhibit F SDC rules, but I can't imagine that's what they intended, from a customer service perspective. Unfortunate that you didn't have time to HUCA, I'd be curious to see what another agent had to say.
manacit likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Had an awful experience with FCM and SDC today that ended in a downgrade to get on the earlier flight. The kicker was that the flight I did standby on definitely had open FC seats, but they were given to people who probably weren't people who paid for FC (based on the upgrade list, where someone went from Standby to C+ to FC in a matter of 15 minutes).

Getting a refund was a nightmare. The supervisor was so defensive and kept drawing analogies that made no sense ("If YOU were a Platinum and a Diamond did standby at the last minute and bumped you down the list, how would you feel?!" ). The fact is I was a paying FC passenger, and while I was standing by, it doesn't make much sense to being lower priority than a Y passenger or (even worse) a non-rev.

I'm surmising that DL's system interprets FCM as a FC ticket but when SDC comes about, it doesn't process the flight change as expected.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:00 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Had an awful experience with FCM and SDC today that ended in a downgrade to get on the earlier flight. The kicker was that the flight I did standby on definitely had open FC seats, but they were given to people who probably weren't people who paid for FC (based on the upgrade list, where someone went from Standby to C+ to FC in a matter of 15 minutes).

Getting a refund was a nightmare. The supervisor was so defensive and kept drawing analogies that made no sense ("If YOU were a Platinum and a Diamond did standby at the last minute and bumped you down the list, how would you feel?!" ). The fact is I was a paying FC passenger, and while I was standing by, it doesn't make much sense to being lower priority than a Y passenger or (even worse) a non-rev.

I'm surmising that DL's system interprets FCM as a FC ticket but when SDC comes about, it doesn't process the flight change as expected.
Wait, did you do same day standby or same day confirmed? Those aren't the same thing. It sounds like you should have done SDC (if there were F seats available) and never been on the list at all, so yes, you should definitely file a report about this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by pvn
Wait, did you do same day standby or same day confirmed? Those aren't the same thing. It sounds like you should have done SDC (if there were F seats available) and never been on the list at all, so yes, you should definitely file a report about this.
I made the request via kiosk. Should I have called the Diamond line instead?

I ended up forcing them to refund the charge and got a $100 voucher. Numerically that's fine and all, but the supervisor was so offensive I had to threaten to take my business to another airline.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
As a PM I am convinced now that whether i go ATL-STL or ATL-LAX or ATL-SEA I ALWAYS see he exact same price of $203.18 one way.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:51 am

These FCM offers should really be time, aircraft and amenity dependent.

Offering me $117 each way for JFK-BNA on a CRJ9 (no meals, no seatback IFE, 1 hour 40 flight) to go from Y to F is just far too much.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by fusionblue
These FCM offers should really be time, aircraft and amenity dependent.

Offering me $117 each way for JFK-BNA on a CRJ9 (no meals, no seatback IFE, 1 hour 40 flight) to go from Y to F is just far too much.
Well, looking at it another way, assuming that FCM offers are relatively uniform across a fare class regardless of passenger status, booking time, etc (a notably poor assumption), then high FCM offers are more likely to translate into additional complimentary medallion upgrades. I'd still rather get it for free than pay $20 or $117 or $375.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I'm getting offered an upgrade from C+ to F for $190.76 one way BWI-SLC and return (I got upgraded at the window for SLC-SMF and SMF-SLC).
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta DM
I'm not seeing jack s***. I am waitlisted with RUC. Is that why?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I haven't seen a FCM in 8+ months.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: delta dm
Last week I had CMH JFK wide open first class for 84 dollars when I knew I would get the upgrade. LOL
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
$78 for DTW-DCA and $116 for FNT-ATL.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:22 am

Uograde strategy SLC JFK redeye

I am booked in paid C+ on a weekday SLC JFK redeye, waitlisted for first but slim chance since I have very low status for DL. Still for now one out of twenty FC seats is booked, with five weeks to go until the flight. Upgrade is offered for $300, but I value this at 150, it is just a FC seat on a 738. What would you do? Nothing and be happy in C+? Pay $300? Expect this price to come down? Anyone has experienced upgrades on this flight? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.