Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bergamini
It's a hard search term, but if you take an FCM offer do you always get 100% bonus MQM? I've been booking GAP fares direct this year mostly and am used to the 50% bonus MQM with them. Yesterday I flew ORD>LGA and last week I took the $98 FCM offer when it became apparent I might need to take a later flight via SDC (which I did). It rebooked me in G but when my SM posted, it gave me 100% bonus.
IME:
If you take an FCM offer before T-24, you get the 50% MQM bonus as if you'd purchased it at booking (based on the new fare class you're booked into, usually a PAG fare).
If you take an FCM offer after T-24 as part of the check-in process, you retain your original coach fare class and simply get a FC seat assignment, and as a result you do NOT get the 50% MQM bonus.

For the former, I've never known an FCM offer to rebook you into full F/J, which is what would generate the 100% bonus. I suppose it could happen, but per your post you were rebooked into G, so I have no idea.

Maybe it was a bonus reward for having freshly shined shoes.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
LOL - the line was too long yesterday!

OK, so I looked at the itinerary and when I did the SDC and the PM rep did the manual re-issue, it appears to have put me into F which I know is 100% so that makes sense. But the wording on my SM account for the 100% bonus is "Seat Upgrade". If FCM is going to give me 100% bonus MQM I'm going to start doing that instead of buying GAP fares for my remaining 6 work trips this year but if it's really because she put me in the F bucket on the SDC then I won't.

With that said, it's BS that FCM doesn't show up in MQD. If they are holding firm on $15K for DM next year, they've got to start aggregating all ticket revenue.
Attached Images   
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

OK, so I looked at the itinerary and when I did the SDC and the PM rep did the manual re-issue, it appears to have put me into F which I know is 100% so that makes sense. But the wording on my SM account for the 100% bonus is "Seat Upgrade". If FCM is going to give me 100% bonus MQM I'm going to start doing that instead of buying GAP fares for my remaining 6 work trips this year but if it's really because she put me in the F bucket on the SDC then I won't.

With that said, it's BS that FCM doesn't show up in MQD. If they are holding firm on $15K for DM next year, they've got to start aggregating all ticket revenue.
Hmm, that looks like you just lucked out with how the PM rep rebooked you. Not sure I'd count on it happening as a regular occurrence.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton

I just finished a couple of flights where I took FCM offers about 30 days in advance. Under my account activity I have a separate line item for each flight labeled "Seat upgrade: Mileage and MQD Accrual". The SM and MQD are consistent with the FCM upgrade price.

For whatever, the normal flight info (MQMs, MQDs for base fare) for the trips haven't posted yet even though the first flight was 10/23. It's giving Reason Code Q (Still processing - should complete within 24 hours) even though the first flight was over 72 hours ago. Is it normal that flights with FCM buyups take longer to calculate or do I need to contact DL and see what's wrong? I took the return flight today (upgraded both on the same FCM offer) and I'm wondering if both have to finish before the system calculates the info for the upgraded flights.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Grogs
I just finished a couple of flights where I took FCM offers about 30 days in advance. Under my account activity I have a separate line item for each flight labeled "Seat upgrade: Mileage and MQD Accrual". The SM and MQD are consistent with the FCM upgrade price.

For whatever, the normal flight info (MQMs, MQDs for base fare) for the trips haven't posted yet even though the first flight was 10/23. It's giving Reason Code Q (Still processing - should complete within 24 hours) even though the first flight was over 72 hours ago. Is it normal that flights with FCM buyups take longer to calculate or do I need to contact DL and see what's wrong? I took the return flight today (upgraded both on the same FCM offer) and I'm wondering if both have to finish before the system calculates the info for the upgraded flights.
Mine posted within 24 hours at the (erroneous) 100% bonus but not counting towards MQD both times I did FCM well in advance of 24 hours, so our experiences are quite different. Mine was a 3 sector multi-trip so maybe that's a factor but I really don't know.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
Mine posted within 24 hours at the (erroneous) 100% bonus but not counting towards MQD both times I did FCM well in advance of 24 hours, so our experiences are quite different. Mine was a 3 sector multi-trip so maybe that's a factor but I really don't know.
Everything posted this morning. Guess I had to finish the return leg before they posted the flights from Monday. This is how the return flight and upgrade posted to my account:
Attached Images  
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got an email today offering to sell me an upgrade for a RDU-DCA trip in December. If I clicked a link in the email it took me to my reservation page where I could buy the FCM offer ($61 for a 40 minute flight...nope). First time getting an email like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Random question:

I have a couple of segments I bought an upgrade for to first class.
When viewing online it shows fare class G now, but in receipt it is still showing original fare class.

Would I be eligible to SDC into first on day of flight?

Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
yes, once the ticket is reissued into G/A/P you have all the associated benefits (SDC, baggage, etc)
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jrl767
yes, once the ticket is reissued into G/A/P you have all the associated benefits (SDC, baggage, etc)
Thank you!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
sorry to all those waiting on a comp UPG on my JFK-LAS flight tomorrow. I did FCM last night and took the last seat in FC.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
sorry to all those waiting on a comp UPG on my JFK-LAS flight tomorrow. I did FCM last night and took the last seat in FC.
And there will likely be misconnects in which case a discussion of your flight will invariably be addressed in the "Shena" thread...
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
Hmm, that looks like you just lucked out with how the PM rep rebooked you. Not sure I'd count on it happening as a regular occurrence.
Agreed. This happened to be and was put into "F".
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
My wife has been waitlisted w/an RUC on CVG-LAS for the past 4 months; travel is end of this month.

I noticed that the front cabin seemed to be filling, yet my wife's upgrade hadn't cleared. Agent assured me it was coded correctly

On a hunch I asked an agent to remove the RUC. Viola- an FCM offer for $138. Considering the fare difference between her ticket and the published P fare was over $400, this was an easy choice.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:14 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I have an itinerary I'd like to snag a FCM offer on, but when I got to "review and pay" the only way to pay is in cash. I thought they had updated this so I could pay with miles? Is that doable over the phone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.