Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
The fine print LBJ alludes to should appear on the checkout screen when you click to accept the offer, before the final payment.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
$799 upgrade from Moscow to JFK one week out - i pulled the trigger; but then the lady claimed it would not give me 1.5 MQM (which I think is wrong) - so they refunded. The email receipt showed U class; but Delta website app showed Z class. I would have done for 1.5 MQM, but not without - not on a half empty flight with bulkhead.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
$799 upgrade from Moscow to JFK one week out - i pulled the trigger; but then the lady claimed it would not give me 1.5 MQM (which I think is wrong) - so they refunded. The email receipt showed U class; but Delta website app showed Z class. I would have done for 1.5 MQM, but not without - not on a half empty flight with bulkhead.
Was U your original fare class? U could not have been the reticketed class after the upgrade processed. Z makes sense as the reticketed class, and this would have earned the 1.5 MQM.

Almost any "upgrade offer" purchased before check in is the fare difference/special offer, and retickets in a F/J fare class and earns the extra MQMs. Anything offered within the checkin window usually retickets into RU (complimentary upgrade) and does not earn the added MQMs. If I were you, I would call back for that upgrade as that is a decent price and that is a decently long flight (and you should earn the added MQMs - I am surprised the DM Desk couldn't tell you this clearly, given it seems you were being reticketed in Z).
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
If I were you, I would call back for that upgrade as that is a decent price and that is a decently long flight (and you should earn the added MQMs - I am surprised the DM Desk couldn't tell you this clearly, given it seems you were being reticketed in Z).
Ok I took your advice and spend the $799 for an upgrade - should I have used a global upgrade instead? I figured 799 seemed to good to pass but now am wondering.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Ok I took your advice and spend the $799 for an upgrade - should I have used a global upgrade instead? I figured 799 seemed to good to pass but now am wondering.
Depends on if you are going to take any more international trips this year. If you aren't, I would have probably used a GU (assuming there was inventory for it to clear) as opposed to using it on a domestic trip. If you are going to be able to use it on an international trip I would have probably paid the $799 seeing most international trips cost a lot more than $799 to upgrade to J into and you get the MQM's as well.

When I flew to LIM in December I paid for J instead of using GU's. It wasn't even $1K TOTAL RT to fly in F/J and the bonus MQM's were great

Regardless though you got a great deal for that long of a flight

Last edited by jamesteroh; Jun 14, 2017 at 8:30 am
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
PBI-LGA and back next week offering $202 upgrade to F each way. I am on a pretty cheap T fare ($220 R/T).

I'll pass.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by apodo77
PBI-LGA and back next week offering $202 upgrade to F each way. I am on a pretty cheap T fare ($220 R/T).

I'll pass.
Might as well since it is off-season and at that time even the PBI-LGA flights have some comp upgrades available. I don't know exactly where a PM on a T will be on the pecking list but it should be high enough much of the time.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Don't second guess this one. That's a great price for route and I've always gotten 1.5 MQM on my FCM purchases.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Can you upgrade an award ticket to F or C+? I thought you could but I don't see the offer anywhere on my trip summary. Or does it appear later and/or at random? (Trip is for Thanksgiving, 11/23 - 11/28.)
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj
Can you upgrade an award ticket to F or C+? I thought you could but I don't see the offer anywhere on my trip summary. Or does it appear later and/or at random? (Trip is for Thanksgiving, 11/23 - 11/28.)
No you cannot. Only way is to cancel, redeposit, and rebook as a C+ or F award. There would be an exception for TATL awards where C+ can purchased (or selected within your window if Medallion) as C+ is not a separate fare class on TATL routes.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
No you cannot. Only way is to cancel, redeposit, and rebook as a C+ or F award. There would be an exception for TATL awards where C+ can purchased (or selected within your window if Medallion) as C+ is not a separate fare class on TATL routes.
Drat... can't cancel and rebook since the tickets were a gift (my dad paid with his miles). I've upgraded to EC/C+ on award tickets before, but I take it that's changed since C+ is its own class now?

The wife won't be pleased with this development...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by strickerj
Do you have status with Delta? Award tickets are still upgrade eligible you are just at the bottom of your level on the upgrade list. Most of my award tickets clear into first
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Do you have status with Delta? Award tickets are still upgrade eligible you are just at the bottom of your level on the upgrade list. Most of my award tickets clear into first
Nope, just a kettle. All my upgrades have been paid.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Was U your original fare class? U could not have been the reticketed class after the upgrade processed. Z makes sense as the reticketed class, and this would have earned the 1.5 MQM.

Almost any "upgrade offer" purchased before check in is the fare difference/special offer, and retickets in a F/J fare class and earns the extra MQMs. Anything offered within the checkin window usually retickets into RU (complimentary upgrade) and does not earn the added MQMs. If I were you, I would call back for that upgrade as that is a decent price and that is a decently long flight (and you should earn the added MQMs - I am surprised the DM Desk couldn't tell you this clearly, given it seems you were being reticketed in Z).
U was the original fare class; and the rebooked fare class (???) - and I only got 1 times MQM.

I called in just now, and they told me it was a mistake and that I should have gotten 1.5 and they will do that now. I think what happened was that I purchased the upgrade at Check-in - but that was check-in on the outbound - even though the upgrade was for my return flight which may be why it did not switch me from U?

I have done many Last minute upgrades and on domestic it always changes fare class; this is the first time this has happened. But at least it ended well.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by monitor
Might as well since it is off-season and at that time even the PBI-LGA flights have some comp upgrades available. I don't know exactly where a PM on a T will be on the pecking list but it should be high enough much of the time.
I was upgraded at the 5 day window for both segments as an FYI.
main cabin was sparse compared to most flights I take.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.