Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Being offered an upgrade of "only" $283 each way DTW/EWR next month. I think I'll chance being stuck in my aisle c+ seat
Old May 22, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
$83 ATL-DAY for upsell. Worth it?
Old May 22, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by kylep1256
$83 ATL-DAY for upsell. Worth it?
Worth it is really situational. The flight is only 432 miles, probably just over an hour gate to gate. But, if you're planning to check a bag or two, it might be a better value proposition.

For me, I usually only take FCM offers if they translate into $50/hour or less. Sometimes I will go a bit higher if I know I need to work or sleep on the flight.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
DCA-JFK on 7/4 -- $77.88 on top of a purchase price of $84.20. Already upgraded to C+.
Currently available for sale for $133.
I'm using this to connect to one of the good fares JFK-EU. But gave myself plenty of time for the connection -- 6 hours.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mot29
DCA-JFK on 7/4 -- $77.88 on top of a purchase price of $84.20. Already upgraded to C+.
Currently available for sale for $133.
I'm using this to connect to one of the good fares JFK-EU. But gave myself plenty of time for the connection -- 6 hours.
You should be able to call DL and upfare your ticket for the difference in fares, with no change fee.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
C+ on a CR9 for 35-40 min time in the air DCA-JFK is perfectly adequate ... I wouldn't pay an extra $77.88 for F unless I needed the additional free checked bags and/or the 250 additional MQM
Old May 22, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jrl767
C+ on a CR9 for 35-40 min time in the air DCA-JFK is perfectly adequate ... I wouldn't pay an extra $77.88 for F unless I needed the additional free checked bags and/or the 250 additional MQM
Nor will I -- the $133 fare was available when I booked the ticket and I didn't take it then. Unless there are problems -- 40 minutes of taxiing and 40 minutes in the air, maximum. And I expect July 4 on a Tuesday to be a pretty lite travel day.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mot29
Nor will I -- the $133 fare was available when I booked the ticket and I didn't take it then. Unless there are problems -- 40 minutes of taxiing and 40 minutes in the air, maximum. And I expect July 4 on a Tuesday to be a pretty lite travel day.
if your handle designation as being a DM is accurate you're gonna get upgraded on that flight anyways in all likelihood.
Old May 24, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I'm doing one of my "mental health Wednesday" trips next week, DCA-JFK-PBI in the morning, PBI-ATL-DCA last flights out in the evening.

There are plenty of F empties on all flights. Delta offers me the following upgrade deals: $74.18 for DCA-JFK (typically 42 minutes en route); $186.13 for JFK-PBI (usually 2:15 or so); or a combination of both for $213.93.

On the way back, they'll sell me an upgrade at $314.92 per segment.

At least they serve free adult beverages in C+ on three of the four segments (there is no drink service in C+ DCA-JFK).

I used to get at least 3 segments upgraded at the 5 day window on this type of trip. We'll see what happens at 5 pm tomorrow.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Delta expands flexibility so customers can buy premium products post-purchase, manage upgrades

http://news.delta.com/delta-expands-...age-upgrades-0

Remember folks, FCM is all about "choice".

Oh they say they will now let YOU choose to downgrade from C+ middle seat when Delta.dumb auto dumps you into a crappy seat!
Old May 24, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Delta expands flexibility so customers can buy premium products post-purchase, manage upgrades

http://news.delta.com/delta-expands-...age-upgrades-0

Remember folks, FCM is all about "choice".

Oh they say they will now let YOU choose to downgrade from C+ middle seat when Delta.dumb auto dumps you into a crappy seat!
Being able to downgrade from C+ middle on your own was much needed.

I'm curious as to how we should interpret this bit, though. Surely it's not back to old-school just pick a C+ seat at booking/window. Something more like you get an email if your UG clears but no seat is assigned until you pick it? Could be a disaster in an oversell or something, not to mention potential for medallions to be "skipped" if they're unable to log in to grab a seat when their UG clears. I'm assuming/hoping the existing seat is retained until the pax picks their upgraded seat.

[Medallion Members may choose, instead, to self-select upgrade seats from the seat map once their eligibility window opens
Old May 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Renes Points
From the article:

The seat map will also allow a Medallion Member to choose to revert back to Main Cabin with one touch if they aren’t happy with their upgrade seat assignment, for example, to a middle seat.
So I guess if you don't like the middle C+ seat now you are free to go back and choose whatever middle C- seats are left at that point. Fantastic!
Old May 24, 2017, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah, it says "revert back" to coach, not reclaim your previous seat.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
From the article:

So I guess if you don't like the middle C+ seat now you are free to go back and choose whatever middle C- seats are left at that point. Fantastic!
It appears this may not be fully rolled out yet (or they didn't think through all cases yet). I have a trip coming up with RUCs pending, and it still shows the blocked seat maps outside of C+. No indication of how I can move back to main cabin if I wanted to.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by gooselee
... (or they didn't think through all cases yet)....
to no one's surprise ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.