Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
at $125 i'd probably take it. that MSP-SMF can be an obnoxious upgrade if it is on an A320 and you are not DM status.
I'm a lowly FO at the moment, so the chance of getting an upgrade is about as much as winning the lottery without buying a ticket.

Does anyone have an idea what kind of meal to expect in F at 5 PM? It's been years since I've been in F on that route. It's showing 1513 miles so it should be the 3-course one, right?
Old May 12, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dennis88
I'm a lowly FO at the moment, so the chance of getting an upgrade is about as much as winning the lottery without buying a ticket.

Does anyone have an idea what kind of meal to expect in F at 5 PM? It's been years since I've been in F on that route. It's showing 1513 miles so it should be the 3-course one, right?
I would definitely take that upgrade. You're not going to get it as an FO. It's worth it for that flight length.
Old May 12, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,

By "3 course" do you in reality mean 3 tiny little dishes on 1 tray? No 3 course meals.
Old May 12, 2016, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
MSP-SMF you will get a choice of two mains, likely chicken or pasta. It will be served with a salad and dessert on the same tray, all at once. It is not a multi-course service like transcon or INTL. You can take a look at the meals thread for more info.

MEM-MSP will be snack basket I think.
Old May 12, 2016, 8:03 pm

First time that I have to book DL this year. Looks like I booked it outright, $25x from MCO to IAD A fare. Managed to get a layover in MSP to grab a drink/bite with my colleague who's based there.

Almost got another $27x A fare from TPA-NYC with a MSP stop in June, but changed my mind to get back to AA. DL almost got that ticket from me too.
Old May 13, 2016, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Put on your asbestos jockey shorts, since you will soon be flamed by the WFBF cheering section.

To correct one misconception... they are not just selling "Diamond upgrades," they are selling upgrades to anyone with, in your case, $29 in their pocket (assuming they paid the same base fare as you did).

Someone on their first ever, and perhaps last, flight on DL can grab that upgrade for $29.

In this case DM don't mean dip.

To correct another misconception... the increment might be $290 on another route. $29 is exceptionally low, even for a single segment.
To me it doesn't make sense not to give elites discounts on the "buy up" offers. If a DM pays $29, DL gains $29, but if a kettle pays $29, DL is likely to only gain at most $4 if the person is checking a bag or even, depending on the route and number of bags,, DL can lose money on the bag fees.
Old May 13, 2016, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me it doesn't make sense not to give elites discounts on the "buy up" offers. If a DM pays $29, DL gains $29, but if a kettle pays $29, DL is likely to only gain at most $4 if the person is checking a bag or even, depending on the route and number of bags,, DL can lose money on the bag fees.
Down in that price range, I have to suspect that the incremental price is a secondary or tertiary consideration to Va Ave.

The primary issue has to be saving face on Wall St and satisfying the 70% paid FC ego promise.

Perhaps the secondary consideration is the thought of hooking another newbie on the FC drug in order to increase future competition for FC, thus incentivizing the customers to do even more financially silly things to get there.
Old May 13, 2016, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Down in that price range, I have to suspect that the incremental price is a secondary or tertiary consideration to Va Ave.

The primary issue has to be saving face on Wall St and satisfying the 70% paid FC ego promise.

Perhaps the secondary consideration is the thought of hooking another newbie on the FC drug in order to increase future competition for FC, thus incentivizing the customers to do even more financially silly things to get there.
I keep offering my consulting services to advise DL how to get their FCM percentages up to at least about 95% and to do so almost instantly. No problem, they just need to pay my fee and do as I say.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I keep offering my consulting services to advise DL how to get their FCM percentages up to at least about 95% and to do so almost instantly. No problem, they just need to pay my fee and do as I say.
I am very very afraid. Would you not rather spend some Skymiles relaxing on some beach somewhere. Please!
Old May 16, 2016, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Havent' flow the past two months and wow a lot of changes all around. For sure most of the F cabins are 50-75% full at the EUA window for DM's. Not the case for the routes I am used to. Guess WFBF is the new norm if you want an UG. And technically then it is no longer and UG.
Old May 16, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
LAX-BOS in July

H Fare $402.10
P Fare $541.10

OPM picking up the H fare, so I paid $139 out of pocket, which is a steal. DL F cabin prices are consistently a reasonable premium over main cabin, unlike AA/UA.

Just to compare, on the way back I am going BOS-JFK-LAX on MINT, and it was $696.10, well worth the $155 premium. I can't wait for LAX-BOS MINT nonstop in the fall. If priced around $599-$699, the DL F fare wont look so hot.

Last edited by anc-ord772; May 16, 2016 at 6:24 pm
Old May 16, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Are those lax-Bos prices for RT non stops?
Old May 16, 2016, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Are those lax-Bos prices for RT non stops?
OW NS

RT NS Main Cabin (H/T) would have been $639.20 and an additional $221.50 each way for F.
Old May 16, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if you have the time, you can SDC to LAX-JFK-BOS with that P fare (sorry, Bubba)
Old May 16, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
if you have the time, you can SDC to LAX-JFK-BOS with that P fare (sorry, Bubba)
Will that show on the mobile site? I had LAX-BOS-LAX in F last week and no options came up when trying to change my flights at check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.