Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Mom krazykanuck was offered an upgrade to F for ATL-SRQ for $19 at check in yesterday via the mobile app for her flight today. She is a general member, and I think has the base level DL Amex. Not sure the fare basis. Even though it is a barely over an hour flight she jumped on it. I would too...
Old May 9, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by injera
Flying same day r/t LGA->DCA next week. L fare tix were $331 r/t. The app is offering me a chance to upgrade to first for the low low price of an additional $298.

Thanks for the offer Delta. The extra 500 MQM and cocktail served in a class instead of a plastic cup isnt going to do it for me this time.

I usually jump as reasonable FCM offers, but is anyone actually buying this upgrade on the 40 minute flight?
Well I will be doing the same trip week after next and I have not seen any fares lower than $513 coach and $592 first. The first is so obscene that in that context, the second actually is not too absurd.

When they first put in the two class airplane, for a couple of years it was an automatic upgrade for a DM. However, nowadays, it is far from that and since the comfort of the ERJ in coach militates against paying any more than the ridiculous $513, I mostly end up riding in back on that route.
Old May 9, 2016, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Mom krazykanuck was offered an upgrade to F for ATL-SRQ for $19 at check in yesterday via the mobile app for her flight today. She is a general member, and I think has the base level DL Amex. Not sure the fare basis. Even though it is a barely over an hour flight she jumped on it. I would too...
i would not have been able to get my CC out fast enough for a $19 offer even on such a short flight. solid FCM score for sure.
Old May 10, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i would not have been able to get my CC out fast enough for a $19 offer even on such a short flight. solid FCM score for sure.
Indeed. Three drinks and you're already coming out ahead on that deal!
Old May 10, 2016, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Agree, the extra MQM's alone are worth it not to mention the guaranteed SDC
Old May 10, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Agree, the extra MQM's alone are worth it not to mention the guaranteed SDC
That's why I occasionally buy first on my frequented DCA-CVG route, even though I always clear T-3 or earlier as a PM. Either I know that I'm going to need the flexibility, or I have extra time, so I route DCA-MSP-CVG to pick up 2300 MQMs.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I am doing a DCA-JFK-PBI-ATL-DCA itinerary tomorrow.

I got upgraded in advance for all segments except JFK-PBI. I checked in on the Delta app this morning and got an offer to upgrade JFK-PBI for $39.00. I grabbed it. My total airfare for this trip, including the FCM, was $284.00; not bad for an F trip.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
At checkin this morning a friend with no DL status was offered $29 for JFK-DTW. I advised accepting right away.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Air Houston
At checkin this morning a friend with no DL status was offered $29 for JFK-DTW. I advised accepting right away.
Delta's version of United's TOD's. I would hope that Delta is doing this only on flights where all Plats and Diamond already got upgraded at the window.

Last Saturday, I flew a rt LAX-PDX. Plat wife and I got upgraded at the 5-day window in both directions. The outbound morning flight on an EMB-170 went out with three empty first class seats. Those are the ONLY type of flights that should have ultra cheap upgrades.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Delta's version of United's TOD's. I would hope that Delta is doing this only on flights where all Plats and Diamond already got upgraded at the window.

Last Saturday, I flew a rt LAX-PDX. Plat wife and I got upgraded at the 5-day window in both directions. The outbound morning flight on an EMB-170 went out with three empty first class seats. Those are the ONLY type of flights that should have ultra cheap upgrades.
Relatively sure some of the stories here are from DM/PM/GM getting these offers at check in, meaning they did not get a window UG.

In which case, it's more of a pay to jump the UG list thing.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:03 am
tjm

Programs: Marriott: LT Titanium, Amtrak: Select Exec; Hertz: PC
Originally Posted by tjm
Latest FCM saga:

Atl-Mia and five seats available at the upgrade window. Not cleared, but that really isn't unusual. Same five seats are available at checkin at T-24. The new wrinkle, at least for me is the offer for me to upgrade to one of those five seats for $29. I declined knowing that it was likely that someone else would bite. Sure enough, three of those seats disappear in the next thirty minutes.

I stay first for two seats until around T-2 but end up 2 for one seat.

So from Delta's point of view they have no seats for a diamond upgrade during the entire upgrade window (not unreasonable) but at checkin seats are now available for diamonds for the nominal fee of $29.

Yes, I realize I could just give them a few bucks for the seat and if that is now SOP, then I will do so, but it would be nice to just let us know ahead of time what the rules are. As of now I have seen nothing in writing that Diamond upgrades may cost $29 on various random flights.
I got a personal phone call from Delta Corporate telling me in no uncertain terms that this was not supposed to happen. The only check-in offer at a price like this should be to C+. Based on several reports since my post, it seams it is indeed more than a one-time occurrence and clearly not limited to medallions.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by ND76
I am doing a DCA-JFK-PBI-ATL-DCA itinerary tomorrow.

I got upgraded in advance for all segments except JFK-PBI. I checked in on the Delta app this morning and got an offer to upgrade JFK-PBI for $39.00. I grabbed it. My total airfare for this trip, including the FCM, was $284.00; not bad for an F trip.
Mrs. TrojanTraveler nor I have ever gotten one of these offers, whether on the app, PC, etc. I really wonder why that is.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ND76

I've never gotten a single segment offer. But I don't recall many cases where all but one segment cleared. Two weeks ago, flying DCA-MSP-ORD-CVG-DCA everything except DCA-MSP cleared at the windows. And DCA-MSP never cleared -- a 12 seat 717. I think I made it to 3 for 0. My EC seat was surprisingly comfortable.

I did get an FCM offer of $111 for a $417 U fare DCA-ATL-MSY-DTW-DCA. I took that one -- for me worth it for the seats and the 50% MQM bonus.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
MEM-->MSP-->SMF booked as a one way first Saturday in June. FCM has varied from $380 down to $124.50 the other day. FC is showing half full on the first leg and not a single seat occupied on the 2nd flight.

The outbound (one way SMF-->LAX-->MEM) is varying usually between $240 and $380.

Both flights were about $193 each. Might bite on the return if it drops again, although I am already confirmed in EC.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Dennis88
MEM-->MSP-->SMF booked as a one way first Saturday in June. FCM has varied from $380 down to $124.50 the other day. FC is showing half full on the first leg and not a single seat occupied on the 2nd flight.

The outbound (one way SMF-->LAX-->MEM) is varying usually between $240 and $380.

Both flights were about $193 each. Might bite on the return if it drops again, although I am already confirmed in EC.
at $125 i'd probably take it. that MSP-SMF can be an obnoxious upgrade if it is on an A320 and you are not DM status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.