Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
MCO-LGA roundtrip in G for $354. Early June.

Easy deal, especially when UA is charging $600+ to go to EWR.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by cmd320
MCO-LGA roundtrip in G for $354. Early June.

Easy deal, especially when UA is charging $600+ to go to EWR.
Was $354 the FCM increment, or the total cost of the ticket?

I expect the latter since I am seeing G fares for as low as $374 RT, all in, in early June (vs. $216 in the main cabin).

That $158 additional cost is less likely to stimulate the increased exclusiveness that some here asserted would result from an increasingly paid for FC cabin.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Was $354 the FCM increment, or the total cost of the ticket?

I expect the latter since I am seeing G fares for as low as $374 RT, all in, in early June (vs. $216 in the main cabin).

That $158 additional cost is less likely to stimulate the increased exclusiveness that some here asserted would result from an increasingly paid for FC cabin.
Total cost of the roundtrip ticket. That's a great deal as far as I'm concerned. The DL product is definitely better than the AA product on this route and about on par with the UA product unless one can get one of their 757s with flats (to EWR of course).
Old May 5, 2016, 2:51 pm
tjm

Programs: Marriott: LT Titanium, Amtrak: Select Exec; Hertz: PC
Latest FCM saga:

Atl-Mia and five seats available at the upgrade window. Not cleared, but that really isn't unusual. Same five seats are available at checkin at T-24. The new wrinkle, at least for me is the offer for me to upgrade to one of those five seats for $29. I declined knowing that it was likely that someone else would bite. Sure enough, three of those seats disappear in the next thirty minutes.

I stay first for two seats until around T-2 but end up 2 for one seat.

So from Delta's point of view they have no seats for a diamond upgrade during the entire upgrade window (not unreasonable) but at checkin seats are now available for diamonds for the nominal fee of $29.

Yes, I realize I could just give them a few bucks for the seat and if that is now SOP, then I will do so, but it would be nice to just let us know ahead of time what the rules are. As of now I have seen nothing in writing that Diamond upgrades may cost $29 on various random flights.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjm
Latest FCM saga:

Atl-Mia and five seats available at the upgrade window. Not cleared, but that really isn't unusual. Same five seats are available at checkin at T-24. The new wrinkle, at least for me is the offer for me to upgrade to one of those five seats for $29. I declined knowing that it was likely that someone else would bite. Sure enough, three of those seats disappear in the next thirty minutes.

I stay first for two seats until around T-2 but end up 2 for one seat.

So from Delta's point of view they have no seats for a diamond upgrade during the entire upgrade window (not unreasonable) but at checkin seats are now available for diamonds for the nominal fee of $29.

Yes, I realize I could just give them a few bucks for the seat and if that is now SOP, then I will do so, but it would be nice to just let us know ahead of time what the rules are. As of now I have seen nothing in writing that Diamond upgrades may cost $29 on various random flights.
Put on your asbestos jockey shorts, since you will soon be flamed by the WFBF cheering section.

To correct one misconception... they are not just selling "Diamond upgrades," they are selling upgrades to anyone with, in your case, $29 in their pocket (assuming they paid the same base fare as you did).

Someone on their first ever, and perhaps last, flight on DL can grab that upgrade for $29.

In this case DM don't mean dip.

To correct another misconception... the increment might be $290 on another route. $29 is exceptionally low, even for a single segment.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Total cost of the roundtrip ticket. That's a great deal as far as I'm concerned. The DL product is definitely better than the AA product on this route and about on par with the UA product unless one can get one of their 757s with flats (to EWR of course).
I just purchased from BOS to MCO in June at $440ish. Great deal as far as I'm concerned. Meals both ways ^ I just hope that it's the upgraded interior on the A320; some of the older ones are definitely long in tooth. Although I'll take an old interior over B6 which is the competition I get on this route.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I just purchased from BOS to MCO in June at $440ish. Great deal as far as I'm concerned. Meals both ways ^ I just hope that it's the upgraded interior on the A320; some of the older ones are definitely long in tooth. Although I'll take an old interior over B6 which is the competition I get on this route.
I was recently on an A319 with an upgraded interior. DL did a nice job with it.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I was recently on an A319 with an upgraded interior. DL did a nice job with it.
+1. On a recent trip I did the outbound leg in coach on a refurbed 319, and in FC on the same bird on the way back. IFE at every seat, nice large redesigned OHBs, and everything generally shiny and new.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Thanks gents; good to know. I connect through DTW regularly and it seems like we always have the ex-NWA airbuses which are definitely showing their age. On the positive side though, in flight service has been great and DTW is so easy to connect through. Self service bar in the SC doesn't hurt either
Old May 5, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Thanks gents; good to know. I connect through DTW regularly and it seems like we always have the ex-NWA airbuses which are definitely showing their age. On the positive side though, in flight service has been great and DTW is so easy to connect through. Self service bar in the SC doesn't hurt either
^^^

DTW is a great alternative to ATL.

I connect thru there as often as I can, especially when:

1) I can snag a 747 to anywhere

2) I am confirmed in FC with a chance of relegating Bubba to coach (just kidding )
Old May 8, 2016, 6:14 am

Flying same day r/t LGA->DCA next week. L fare tix were $331 r/t. The app is offering me a chance to upgrade to first for the low low price of an additional $298.

Thanks for the offer Delta. The extra 500 MQM and cocktail served in a class instead of a plastic cup isnt going to do it for me this time.

I usually jump as reasonable FCM offers, but is anyone actually buying this upgrade on the 40 minute flight?
Old May 8, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

There are some terrific deals to be had Florida-NYC. I've scored FLL-JFK for $320 r/t in F.
Old May 8, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by injera
Flying same day r/t LGA->DCA next week. L fare tix were $331 r/t. The app is offering me a chance to upgrade to first for the low low price of an additional $298.

Thanks for the offer Delta. The extra 500 MQM and cocktail served in a class instead of a plastic cup isnt going to do it for me this time.

I usually jump as reasonable FCM offers, but is anyone actually buying this upgrade on the 40 minute flight?
I still don't think that DL has the FCM system fully worked out. I've seen a lot of offers that just don't make sense, whether it be too high or too low.
Old May 8, 2016, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
I still don't think that DL has the FCM system fully worked out. I've seen a lot of offers that just don't make sense, whether it be too high or too low.
I have seen some really funny ones lately. A couple of months ago I had to buy a r/t PDX to IAD <7 days out. I don't know the fare class, but the ticket priced out at about $1,250 for coach. As a lowly gold, I started looking online for C+ opportunities almost immediately - and was offered an FCM upgrade (Whole Trip!) for $720. The next day it was $780, the day after that back down to $720.

At OLCI the price had dropped somewhat - to $86. I think I hurt my arm pulling my credit card out....
Old May 8, 2016, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krlcomm
There are some terrific deals to be had Florida-NYC. I've scored FLL-JFK for $320 r/t in F.
Definitely. Seems like 4-5 weeks out is the sweet spot for DL F deals, at least in the FL-NY market. Looking to book 2-3 weeks out right now and DL isn't competitive at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.