Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
By now I've come to the realization that the 6 day window has become a fairy tale like unicorns, leprechauns, and the Loch Ness monster. ATL-PWM is not a hot ticket and a DM flying on an S fare would normally see the UG in the 6 day window, but DL is trying real hard at this FCM thing. At 6 days out there were 8 FC seats. Today, one day out, I got the UG and there were 8 seats still available. I am 40 of 41 so far for the year with UG, but 80% + have been battlefields (many with 5+ seats available).

Last edited by SYRRDU; Mar 12, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Old Mar 12, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
By now I've come to the realization that the 6 day window has become a fairy tale like unicorns, leprechauns, and the Loch Ness monster. ATL-PWM is not a hot ticket and a DM flying on an S fare would normally see the UG in the 6 day window, but DL is trying real hard at this FCM thing. At 6 days out there were 8 FC seats. Today, one day out, I got the UG and there were 8 seats still available. I am 40 of 41 so far for the year with UG, but 80% + have been battlefields (many with 5+ seats available).
Last week I was with co-workers, in which three of them are DM. All of them got UG for RT MSP-CLE and one was doing RT BOI-CLE. All of the cleared 6 days out. I am goin MSP-IAH Tuesday and as a GM got my UG yesterday M Fare.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
Last week I was with co-workers, in which three of them are DM. All of them got UG for RT MSP-CLE and one was doing RT BOI-CLE. All of the cleared 6 days out. I am goin MSP-IAH Tuesday and as a GM got my UG yesterday M Fare.
They are flying to Cleveland and you are flying on a Tuesday. Makes a huge difference
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by mspreh
I am almost done with Delta, I am done buying tickets on Delta (unless something changes dramatically). I have 3 round trips left, with 10 segments. So far this year I have flown 11 segments, with 0 upgrades. I was number 12 this morning on DEN to MSP after all the upgrades cleared as a Diamond. The closest I have gotten is ORD to MSP I was number 2 after they all cleared. Going to DEN last Thursday F was sold out 10 days in advance. Going to Maui in less than 3 weeks, only a few seats remain in F for MSP to LAX, and LAX to OGG. Coming back OGG to SEA is full in F. No reason to be loyal. I am facing more connections with American, but my average fair is 15% less now too. This first class monetization will keep getting worse until Delta loses enough of it's loyal flyers. The path they are on, it will difficult to get Comfort+ unless you book out super far in advance as a Diamond or Plat, Gold might as well get a hardy handshake when they check in.
Medallion upgrades while a stated benefit have mostly been eliminated with FCM, and the opportunities for upgrades will be less and less going forward. If this is your motivation for status with Delta I can see why your frustrated.

FWIW I have changed my purchasing patterns to 1) Buy into FCM when the price is right and 2) use my RUCs on the long segments. Both of these strategies put me up front most of the time.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 7:59 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Easily took the $60 offer for my one-way ORD-ATL-SDF. I have to check a bag, so that eats up almost half the fee.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I, for one, would like to welcome our new FCM overlords. Haven't flown Delta in 5+ years. Total kettle.

Offered $89 for SLC-OAK today; I have two checked bags ($60) so that means my net cost was $29 for a bigger seat, a couple beers, priority screening/boarding, and more miles (125%) sent to my AS account.

United is doing this too, and it makes no sense to me. Great for me, but engenders zero loyalty and I'm not sure the folks at HQ have this figured out.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
FWIW - I've been upgraded on all my flights this week to DFW @ the respective windows. 3 show as RU and oddly one (ATL>DFW) shows as OU.....never seen OU before.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
FWIW - I've been upgraded on all my flights this week to DFW @ the respective windows. 3 show as RU and oddly one (ATL>DFW) shows as OU.....never seen OU before.
The ATL-DFW segment is probably the continuation of an international flight (sharing the same flight number). The premium cabin on flights like that code as business, even though the service is exactly the same as standard domestic first.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by dordal
I, for one, would like to welcome our new FCM overlords. Haven't flown Delta in 5+ years. Total kettle.

Offered $89 for SLC-OAK today; I have two checked bags ($60) so that means my net cost was $29 for a bigger seat, a couple beers, priority screening/boarding, and more miles (125%) sent to my AS account.

United is doing this too, and it makes no sense to me. Great for me, but engenders zero loyalty and I'm not sure the folks at HQ have this figured out.
HQ has promised to sell 70% of the FC seats; they didn't say how much they would charge for them. Many discussions on the loyalty issue.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
duplicate

Last edited by miraclebear2003; Mar 13, 2016 at 11:41 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
They are flying to Cleveland and you are flying on a Tuesday. Makes a huge difference
They flew in Wedensday, I received my UG at the gate. Cleveland isn't a hot route in my experience because as a FO and now GM get UG. I got my UG for my Retrun Thrusday yesterday.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by dordal

Similarly, I haven't flown DL in years. As far as loyalty goes though, I've been paying for DL's F lately (no FCM) and have been generally very pleased with the service. If you can offer a better F product, that will yield a different kind of loyalty. I don't think AA's HQ has figured that one out yet.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
Last week I was upgraded at the window for a Sunday afternoon ATL-BOS on an award ticket. I was fairly shocked when I got that email.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta PM
Sorry, was having a rough time going thru all 100+ pages of this thread on my phone - but quick question - If I am offered FCM at OLCI, does that qualify for 150% EQM?

Thanks!!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
That's a pretty good average! I just looked at my reservation for Thursday morning from BOS to DTW and First is showing only 6/12 seats taken, including myself. I would think that there would be a lot more Diamonds, Plats and Golds on this route who are within the upgrade window. Or is Delta upgrading en masse at T-24 these days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.