Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I've decided to be content and satisfied with C+; I don't think I would pay more than $100 round trip extra for upgrades.

The way my travel year is going so far, it is not out of the question I'll get back to DM.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pgh234
Why would you spend that? At least if my wife spends $281 on a pair of shoes...she still has the pair of shoes at the end of the day. My value of FCM upgrades is $15 on a meal flight...the value I would have paid in the airport on dinner.
And others are willing to pay more for the extra comfort. $1/minute has been suggested as a reasonable threshold.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm being offered the opportunity to upgrade MSP-DTW and DTW-MSP into FC from C+ in a couple weeks for $455. That's a lot for three hours total in a bigger and better seat and a couple slightly better glasses of cheap wine. I won't be using SDC on this trip and obviously have SkyPriority anyway.
Now we're up to $495 to upgrade MSP-DTW and vv from C+ to FC. In the meantime, no FC seats have disappeared from the seatmaps.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Now we're up to $495 to upgrade MSP-DTW and vv from C+ to FC. In the meantime, no FC seats have disappeared from the seatmaps.
Maybe they're hoping that when they lower it back to $455 you'll think it's a bargain and grab it.

Or maybe they're on drugs.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I love it when they have first class priced that absurdly higher than coach. Means no one will bite and my upgrade usually goes through since the seats are being sold. My flight this weekend dtw/las was almost $900 to upgrade from coach to first when I booked it two months ago and never went below $850. I've cleared for both flight If FCM was only $250 more I'd be sitting in the back of the bus
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I love it when they have first class priced that absurdly higher than coach. Means no one will bite and my upgrade usually goes through since the seats are being sold. My flight this weekend dtw/las was almost $900 to upgrade from coach to first when I booked it two months ago and never went below $850. I've cleared for both flight If FCM was only $250 more I'd be sitting in the back of the bus
It's a connection between mainline and a CRJ-200. When I search for a FC ticket, it seems to break the fare and use something like A and K for the segments. At least from MSP, the broken fares DL offers tend to be much more expensive than through fares (which often require nonstop flights if available for the route).

Maybe it's a personalized price just for me since DL can see that I've purchased some G A P fares in the past, although never for prices like this. If I were to bite for the FCM offer, my total price would still be either the same or $30 less than I see for when I search for FC, although I plan to try to remember to repeat the search from a computer not associated with me to see what prices appear.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
It just continues to get more and more ugly. When I hit the upgrade window for this coming Sunday’s flights there were 8 open FC seats on the first segment and 9 on the second. On an M fare, I wasn’t upgraded and still haven’t been 3 days out. The second segment is still showing 8 seats open. Oh, and the offer to upgrade is $677! What is Delta smoking?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Jump
It just continues to get more and more ugly. When I hit the upgrade window for this coming Sunday’s flights there were 8 open FC seats on the first segment and 9 on the second. On an M fare, I wasn’t upgraded and still haven’t been 3 days out. The second segment is still showing 8 seats open. Oh, and the offer to upgrade is $677! What is Delta smoking?
There are times when it appears that FCM is strategized by someone who occasionally forgets to take his/her meds.

Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
There are times when it appears that FCM is strategized by someone who occasionally forgets to take his/her meds.

Could be the same person who came up with the whole new C+ scheme...
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Does DL just randomly decide when to give you an offer or do you have to hunt for it online or in the app? Is it likely to appear as you get closer to departure? I just checked in for my flight and no visible offers at checkin. Only 2 seats left in F on the IAH-MSP leg. Just curious. I haven't flown Y on DL in a couple years.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WWads
$109 for an SLC-LAX flight? You got ripped off. That's like an 1.5 hour flight, right?
Well to each their own, but no way I'd spend that for an hour or two.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Well to each their own, but no way I'd spend that for an hour or two.
How about spending almost $250 for an hour or two, MSP-DTW or vv? That's what DL is currently offering to me.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: DL PM
Just took $275 RT MSP-SMF. I bit because the UG is usually tough on this route (only 1 daily direct) and less than $1 / min.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Does DL just randomly decide when to give you an offer or do you have to hunt for it online or in the app? Is it likely to appear as you get closer to departure? I just checked in for my flight and no visible offers at checkin. Only 2 seats left in F on the IAH-MSP leg. Just curious. I haven't flown Y on DL in a couple years.
It sometimes seems to be random. You don't have to hunt for it as it would show at the top of the reservation if you review my trips. Also, if you check the seat chart it will show what you can purchase (FC and/or C+).

If you have had a reservation and never had an offer, I think it's unlikely that you will get one closer to departure.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:08 am

The offers seem to be given for tickets purchased from DL, not OLTAs or corporate travel agencies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.