Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by cmd320
Lol! Yeah I wouldn't be interested in that offer at all.
I paid $700 for flight home for Christmas on popular travel days. Upgrade offer has been as low as $335 but now it's sitting at $881 for departure on the 22nd.

No thank you for all. I'm in C+ going NYC-ATL-CHA rt. I'll be just fine with a couple drinks and some peanuts. Thanks delta.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Talk About FCM

Flying LGA to MCO, out on 12-24, back on 12-28.

DL's been offering me the FCM upgrade for two of us at $201 each for the round trip since I booked a month ago. This morning the price jumped to $993 each. There are still 7 seats open up front on the trip down and 8 on the trip back.

Nice FCM prices if DL can get it.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:14 pm

Now this is an FCM!!

Flying to MCO for a conference in Feb. Will be flying EWR->MSP->MCO which I know is out of the way but i want to travel with an MSP based colleague so we can prep for the conference on the flight down and regroup on the way back.

We booked our economy tixx and took exit rows next to each other. He's offered a chance to UG for $88 r/t, i'm giving the chance to UG for $94 r/t. I'm guessing anything to MCO is an easy UG but the MQM alone is worth it. $23.50 per leg, each 2 hours plus is a no brainer.

Thanks Delta
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by injera
Flying to MCO for a conference in Feb. Will be flying EWR->MSP->MCO which I know is out of the way but i want to travel with an MSP based colleague so we can prep for the conference on the flight down and regroup on the way back.

We booked our economy tixx and took exit rows next to each other. He's offered a chance to UG for $88 r/t, i'm giving the chance to UG for $94 r/t. I'm guessing anything to MCO is an easy UG but the MQM alone is worth it. $23.50 per leg, each 2 hours plus is a no brainer.

Thanks Delta
FCM has changed the easy upgrades to and from MCO. You did the right thing to guarantee FC.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat

Thanks Delta
Agree. Have FCM for a little over $100 going MCO-LGA-MCO. Besides for MQM, I didn't have to wait to be able to select C+.

Last week flew MCO-JFK-LAS and since I was on award ticket I didn't get offer to upgrade. However, got my free upgrade to JFK.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Thanks Delta
Be careful. Often DL presents the prices as per direction or even per segment. Also, for prices this low, you don't what to use pay with miles because DL tends too round up (not in your favor).

If you go for it, try to make both changes simultaneously (phone call as both are logged into FF accounts on delta.dumb) just in case there's only one seat at such prices.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
I paid for Comfort+ and all I'm seeing at the top of my reservation online and in the app is "Upgrade to Delta Comfort+." There's no mention of a First option.

Is this a glitch? Or perhaps what happens when FCM is not being offered? Or something else?

-Curious in Coach
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by snorkmaster
I paid for Comfort+ and all I'm seeing at the top of my reservation online and in the app is "Upgrade to Delta Comfort+." There's no mention of a First option.

Is this a glitch? Or perhaps what happens when FCM is not being offered? Or something else?

-Curious in Coach
Did you book via a TA? I've never gotten an offer when I book through mine.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by snorkmaster

-Curious in Coach
FCM isn't automatic. On some bookings I've seen it come and go and then come back again. You could call and see if there is anything available. Without knowing when and where you're flying it's hard to guess why it's not being offered now.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Kettle's Offer: FCM == price of C+ upgrade and 1 checked bag

My spouse, a SM member without status, has an upcoming ATL to TUS roundtrip. Her employer booked her coach seats.

We logged into delta.dumb to attach her SM # to the reservation and to pick seats. Both seatmaps only offered center seats in the last two rows (between the engines). I then checked her C+ and FCM prices. The FCM offer was the exact amount as the C+ upgrade plus $25, the cost of her first checked bag.

And that's how there were two fewer FC seats for elite upgrades...
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be careful. Often DL presents the prices as per direction or even per segment. Also, for prices this low, you don't what to use pay with miles because DL tends too round up (not in your favor).

If you go for it, try to make both changes simultaneously (phone call as both are logged into FF accounts on delta.dumb) just in case there's only one seat at such prices.
When I buy the ticket it generally shows per direction (or segment). When I look at it later, the offer is for the full trip.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:38 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by sethb
When I buy the ticket it generally shows per direction (or segment). When I look at it later, the offer is for the full trip.
I've seen FCM priced by segment after booking... I have not attempted to collect any data but my vague impression is that the higher the overall amount the more likely they are to break it up by direction/segment to make the price seem more attractive.

ETA: it wouldn't surprise me if they were doing various sorts of A/B testing to see what works better in general or with specific people's buying patterns, big data the .... out of it.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: AC100,DLSilver,ALMVP,Fairmont Platinum
The last 6mo I've been purchasing mostly FC tickets for short money over the economy. I'm also in a push for gold so I need the extra miles.

However I do keep thinking to my self if I'm buying the FC seat bc upgrades are so hard to come by, then why do I even care about my medallion status?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:08 am

Can I upgrade to first, and then SDC from a nonstop to a route with a stop and still get the MQM bonus? Just thinking about collecting some MQM miles before the year ends.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold, ICH P Club Plat, Hertz#1 5Star, Marriott Gold
I usually buy the cheapest Y fare ..wait for a FCM offer I want to grab ..and if either I don't find one by 21 days out ..or I see one of the "Only x number of seats at this fare" message for the A or P fare ..I'll grab the offer at this point. I have a MCO-ANC one way in February (conference in Orlando) ..and all of a sudden the FCM offer price jumped up 50 pct higher than the actual current A fare! I've never seen that before. Called in, and was able to upfare the ticket into the A price without a change fee. It sounds like I'm not the only one this happened to. I wonder if they are trying to incorporate a past history algorithm. Next time I'm traveling with the GF ..who doesn't have much history on DL, I'll book us on separate PNRs and see if we get different offers.

While I'm at it ...Any new thoughts on the DL-AS partnership. They seem to keep getting further apart ..but the (what seems to me to be crazy) mileage earning anomaly continues. If you buy an A or a P fare on DL ..credit it to AS ..you get 100%(A), 75%(P), bonus over actually flight mileage, as opposed to spend based on a 675 dollar ticket crediting to DL. Works great for me as an AS MVPG ..but that can't go on ..can it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.