Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Is this a great deal, no. Is it FCM, no idea.

Booked LAX-JFK-ROC for the weekend after Christmas. Paid $121+20k miles each for two pax. DL had been pricing the upsell to D1 between $550-625 per person, which was too rich for my blood.

I was poking around my itineraries before my flight on Saturday and noticed DL peddling an upgrade to an I fare for $324 per person. I bit.
$445 for a route that generally runs $1K+? Not bad at all. I would have gone for it too.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by WWads
$445 for a route that generally runs $1K+? Not bad at all. I would have gone for it too.
$445 was the cash portion; don't forget the 20K miles included in the price.

Still a good price? Up to the buyer.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Is this a great deal, no. Is it FCM, no idea.

Booked LAX-JFK-ROC for the weekend after Christmas. Paid $121+20k miles each for two pax. DL had been pricing the upsell to D1 between $550-625 per person, which was too rich for my blood.

I was poking around my itineraries before my flight on Saturday and noticed DL peddling an upgrade to an I fare for $324 per person. I bit.
Checked my credit card bill and noticed Delta processed the first upgrade at $324, and the second at $824 for a total of $1,148. A very nice agent and a supervisor agreed to refund the $500 difference. They said the actual price should have been $1,148, but honored the website amount of $648.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
...They said the actual price should have been $1,148, but honored the website amount of $648.
Maybe a web site glitch.

I suspect there was one seat at $324 which exhausted that fare bucket and the second seat came out of a higher cost bucket. If that were the case sure the offer should not have occurred in the first place.

Of course, this is just conjecture.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Maybe a web site glitch.

I suspect there was one seat at $324 which exhausted that fare bucket and the second seat came out of a higher cost bucket. If that were the case sure the offer should not have occurred in the first place.

Of course, this is just conjecture.
That's what I think happened as well. I've never seen a multi passenger web upsell list two different prices.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's what I think happened as well. I've never seen a multi passenger web upsell list two different prices.
If it behaves like buying multiple tickets on the same reservation, the price would have been $824 each for two seats.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
When the fare class availability differs, you need to make the reservations separately in order not to fall into Delta's trap of pricing both tickets at the higher fare.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If it behaves like buying multiple tickets on the same reservation, the price would have been $824 each for two seats.
Quite true. In this case however something went haywire.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Dec 14, 2015 at 5:21 pm
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Checked my credit card bill and noticed Delta processed the first upgrade at $324, and the second at $824 for a total of $1,148. A very nice agent and a supervisor agreed to refund the $500 difference. They said the actual price should have been $1,148, but honored the website amount of $648.
I had a similar experience. I was quoted $200 to upfare ATL-PHX at the ATL A17 SC. A week later I notice my card was dinged for $586. I managed to get the difference refunded too.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by CMK10
I had a similar experience. I was quoted $200 to upfare ATL-PHX at the ATL A17 SC. A week later I notice my card was dinged for $586. I managed to get the difference refunded too.
Ah, DL taking a page out of UA's book. Awesome.

Upgraded 6 days in advance for EYW-ATL into F5, but still not cleared for ATL-RSW tomorrow despite F8. The upgrade processor is dyslexic or something.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Same day trip from MCI-ORD coming up, had booked it inexpensively, and at least two of the upgrades were unlikely to clear. Checking seat assignments today and found an offer to upgrade the entire itinerary for $141. I bit.
Except when I got past the payment page, I got an error with a phone number to call website support.
Website support told me the price to upgrade was $600+. Not interested.
"What were you offered?" - $141. (I took a screen shot, but didn't offer this info)
"I'm not seeing that, the best I can get is $298, let me get a supervisor to over-ride it."
Ok.
Took 19 minutes with website support, but honored the price originally quoted.

Honestly, I get that inventory is dynamic. I even get that the offer may not have been valid any longer based on bookings. I don't get, and will never understand, why there is not a record of what is offered. It has to generate from somewhere.

Anyway... I'd say this one fits the FCM name...

Added: Just received the emailed itin / receipt, and they simply rebuilt the itinerary in A class (the upgrade offer didn't specify class) and the total cost was $5 less, so lightheartedly, I guess that makes my time worth about $15/hour to Delta... (said tongue-in-cheek, based on spending 20 min to save $5.)

Last edited by brkandjfk; Dec 16, 2015 at 9:23 am Reason: Updated info
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:54 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I think I'm done flying for 2015, 52 segments on DL, 28 were FCM. The only reason it's not higher is I don't like to pay on tickets I'm concerned may get cancelled by clients (I'd have to eat the FCM portion). I expect the number will be higher in 2016, I have really come to appreciate the SDC flexibility of these tickets along with the bonus MQM, bonus SkyBonus points, and ability to select seats early.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I just took advantage of FCM for a New Years trip.....DL has some dirt cheap FC fares out there during the holidays (obviously when biz travel slows down).
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I'm seeing a great offer to upgrade for
$771.00(USD) per passenger entire trip*
*total price including taxes and fee
on a one-way SAT-ATL-DAY. I paid $251 all-in for my U class ticket, so I'll try my luck at the upgrade lottery.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I'm seeing a great offer to upgrade for

on a one-way SAT-ATL-DAY. I paid $251 all-in for my U class ticket, so I'll try my luck at the upgrade lottery.
Lol! Yeah I wouldn't be interested in that offer at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.