Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Quick question - I don't know if it's already been addressed, but if I buy the buy-up to F during check in, does the money count as MQD?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was monitoring it every day, the seat numbers haven't changed. There's an upgrade list of 34, you'd think they'd try to offer it for say $99 which a reasonable person with a bad Y seat might pay. But hey what do I know.
Perhaps RM is also calculating the likelihood of selling that seat so someone going XXX-ATL-FLL, where XXX-FLL is a market that tends to sell more last-minute FC seats?

I have no idea...just a random thought.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:52 pm

FCM offer popped up on a 8000+ mile round trip for $1500. That's only $375 per leg.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
On my last 3 domestic segments Delta sold 39 out of 40 F seats in advance. One of those segments, MSP-DCA on Monday morning, had 61 pax on the UG list; I was #5; my PM wife was #20. No one got upgraded.

On the last of the three, JFK-DCA on a CRJ-900, there was one seat unclaimed in F; they didn't upgrade #1 on the UG list, but rather gave the seat to a military officer in uniform (it was Veterans' Day) (I was #2 on the UG list).

On the other side of the coin, my wife got extremely lucky--we were flying DCA-ATL-SEA on a Thursday morning on cheap coach tickets; the ATL-SEA was an ETOPS 767 with 34 flat bed seats up front; my UG cleared 3 days in advance; leaving DCA, my wife was #5 on the UG list on my phone for 4 open seats--when we hit the ground at ATL, about 50 minutes before departure on the SEA leg, we got the great news that there was a no show and that she got the final UG to flat bed glory.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by woodchuck
FCM offer popped up on a 8000+ mile round trip for $1500. That's only $375 per leg.
Were all of the segments domestic or was international included in FCM? Perhaps northern South America or was it the long way to Alaska?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Silver
I try not to buy up to first often but this one was too tempting.

Flying next week I am on a u fare sea-dtw and back. Seat map was showing about 8 seats open on a 757. It's been a tough upgrade for me this year. Earlier this week it was $424 for the upgrade, then mid week $262. I was frustrated waiting for someone to jump on them.

I had missed my last 4 upgrades going to either msp or dtw as a diamond and usually by 6 or 7.

Today I looked and it was $166 to upgrade for both legs... I bit.

No wonder I never get upgrades anymore.

Lately there have been 3-4 seats at t-24 and by take off they are gone.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Were all of the segments domestic or was international included in FCM? Perhaps northern South America or was it the long way to Alaska?
Destination is south of the US border.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Destination is south of the US border.
South of the North US border? Or South of the South US border?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
South of the border usually means Mexico, right?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:27 pm

But not always.

South of the Border
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Howste
South of the North US border? Or South of the South US border?
I don't know if you're joking or purposefully pedantic.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:10 am

I don't know if you're joking or purposefully pedantic.
Oops, I forgot the
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
FCM has been joined by C+M
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
MSP PLT and UG/FCM

As I end the year I share my thoughts and welcome others with their UG strategy and experience out of MSP for PLTs. At the beginning of 2015 I had about 50% UG experience but that fell off after maybe March. My connections are mostly east and west coast (LGA/DC/SFO/LAX). Begin to notice FCM not that much higher than coach especially if plan ahead. So for the rest of the year did FCM most of the time. I'm sure DL likes that. Now planning for 2016. How is UG's at the 72 hour time point or at the gate for other PLT's in MSP currently. Still a challenge? Also I've noticed UA FCM often beats DL $$$$$ for west coast. Something I"m keeping in mind. Welcome others strategies and experiences out of MSP. Thanks
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
DM now, was PLT 50% of the year - have the reserve card. Purchase mostly airfare 1-2 weeks in advance.

Made about 66% of UG on status MSP to LAX/SFO/SMF and those barely, never ever in by a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.