Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Well, it's definitely NOT available for transatlantic. The few itineraries we had this summer; the option was not offered. We have very few 100% US Domestic flights. I made a point of looking for it. Could I be mistaken, of course. But I do not believe the option was there. I seem to recall the same on other (US Domestic) itineraries in the last year (or so). But, like I said, we have very few situations like this; so I can't say with 100% certainty the option was not there.
I started reading that post the same way you did, but I think the actual point was that the poster thinks it would be beneficial to both Delta and the customer to always offer that option and therefore Delta should add it to all trips.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I started reading that post the same way you did, but I think the actual point was that the poster thinks it would be beneficial to both Delta and the customer to always offer that option and therefore Delta should add it to all trips.
I agree with your reading of the post. Most of my flights have an offer but sometimes it's not reasonable. For a round trip MCO-ATL-ROA I was offered an upgrade of a little over $100 which I purchased. A few extra MQMs, SCD availability and not having to wait for T-72 move to C+ are my reasons. I have an upcoming round trip flight MCO-ATL-MSY and they have offered an upgrade at unreasonable prices and it stands at $773 now. I don't even consider that a "real" offer.

I have not seen an offer when using a companion ticket. If DL is trying to sell seats it seems they would still offer an upgrade especially since you can't get upgraded.

As far as an upgrade for a segment or the return flight I have not seen anything. I know they use to offer segment upgrades at the gate, but I haven't seen anything recently.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:02 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Well, starting June 2016 (?) "all" international fare classes can upgraded with miles. Now, the number of miles... that's sort of the issue.

Though, the "rare" ex-USA kiosk offers for transatlantic have been around 75K miles or $750. (I heard that data-point, did not experience it myself)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
I have not seen an offer when using a companion ticket. If DL is trying to sell seats it seems they would still offer an upgrade especially since you can't get upgraded.
Unless they want to "discourage" using companion tix for upgrade purposes. They'd rather you pay a higher fare to be eligible to be offered a paid upgrade. That whole price discrimination concept from economics class...
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flying RDU-ATL-PHX today on a V Fare. ATL-PHX got changed from a 737-900 to a 757-200 with lie flats back in August. I've been checking every day to see if it was possible to upfare but they've only been selling the route with a full F fare pricing out at about $900 above my fare. This was as recent as last night.

Today I get up, fly to ATL and check one last time to find out they've finally released a P-Fare. I paid $200 at the Skyclub 10 minutes before boarding and got the last seat left (it was showing 2 available seats for upgrade since I checked in yesterday). I probably broke #2 on the upgrade list's heart.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
Flying RDU-ATL-PHX today on a V Fare. ATL-PHX got changed from a 737-900 to a 757-200 with lie flats back in August. I've been checking every day to see if it was possible to upfare but they've only been selling the route with a full F fare pricing out at about $900 above my fare. This was as recent as last night.

Today I get up, fly to ATL and check one last time to find out they've finally released a P-Fare. I paid $200 at the Skyclub 10 minutes before boarding and got the last seat left (it was showing 2 available seats for upgrade since I checked in yesterday). I probably broke #2 on the upgrade list's heart.
^ - nice score. If you are DL - why give F seats away when people will buy them. Good for you, good for DL, and as us Brits would say - tough-tittie for number 2 on the UG list.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Oct 12, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Which means we might shortly see a "potential Shena on ATL-PHX today" post or thread.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Wow--you're more insistent than me in checking prices! Which SkyClub? I'm surprised they were competent enough to reprice it mid-travel and accept payment.

I bought a ticket from SFO last weekend just two hours prior to departure. I was immediately #1 on the list. Someone who checked in the day before was probably ticked!

I also helped a family member by a ticket on Thursday for travel on Friday. Since she hasn't flown in forever and the -up fare was only $100 more I splurged... I wonder how many people in F these days are travelers like her? On some flights I've noticed a lot of non-business traveler looking folks (e.g. elderly women).
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:45 pm

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Smile

Originally Posted by bajrbajr
Do OLCI buy-up offers ever happen with award tickets?
I am wondering the same thing!!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InTokyo
I am wondering the same thing!!
Don't know about DL but got one at check-in both ways on a UA award ticket.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

ATL-PHX is about 3 hrs (180 min), so $200 doesn't quite make your $1/min metric for WFBF/FCM ... but good on you for knowing how to play the game
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
ATL-PHX is about 3 hrs (180 min), so $200 doesn't quite make your $1/min metric for WFBF/FCM ... but good on you for knowing how to play the game
The ATL-PHX flights today are all blocked between 4:10 and 4:13. Actually comes out to better than $1/min. More like $0.80/min or so.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Wow--you're more insistent than me in checking prices! Which SkyClub? I'm surprised they were competent enough to reprice it mid-travel and accept payment.
This was the A17 Club. The first agent I asked had no idea but she got a coworker who was able to figure it out. Only took him about two minutes.

Originally Posted by jrl767
Or does it? Announced flight time was 3hr29 today which just inches it over my metric Flight Aware shows 3hr23 btw.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or does it? Announced flight time was 3hr29 today which just inches it over my metric Flight Aware shows 3hr23 btw.
Don't forget taxi time! And I factor in sitting at the gate too to some extent. Much better to be sitting in a more comfortable seat not squished between my neighbors, as I prefer to board early and ensure my overhead bin space.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I bought a ticket from SFO last weekend just two hours prior to departure. I was immediately #1 on the list. Someone who checked in the day before was probably ticked!
How is this any different from someone high on the UG list checking in two hours before departure? I often wait until I'm certain that I won't need to try a SDC to check in because I've found those are easier for the agents to process if I'm not checked in. This often means I check in 1-2 hours for a flight.

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Don't forget taxi time! And I factor in sitting at the gate too to some extent. Much better to be sitting in a more comfortable seat not squished between my neighbors, as I prefer to board early and ensure my overhead bin space.
Plus, if regular F seats are worth $1/min, the lie-flats must be worth some additional premium. This sounds like a great score.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.