Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
a cent a second

What you've already paid is indeed a sunk cost, but I can see both points.

If you're billing a customer or sending it through the trolls in accounting, you might get some real pushback somewhere north of $1200 domestically.

OTOH, one rule of thumb seems to be a dollar a minute. I'm more in the a cent a second camp, but flexible when I'm so unwise as to book a late-afternoon ATL or anytime JFK cxn.

And for one last 747 UD, rational thought goes out the window, doesn't it?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by AKC6
What you've already paid is indeed a sunk cost, but I can see both points.

If you're billing a customer or sending it through the trolls in accounting, you might get some real pushback somewhere north of $1200 domestically.
If that matters, you need a higher quality of accounting troll. If they'll let a $1000 upgrade on a $150 fare pass, but challenge a $200 upgrade on a $1100 fare, they're doing it wrong. (I'm assuming the same city pairs.)
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mrcimino1
Are you kidding me? $750 for an upgrade DTW-SFO??? Earlier this year they offered me an upgrade between MSP and LHR for only $500, which was a no-brainer. No one in their right mind would pay $750 to upgrade a 4.5 hour flight, would they??????
Glad I didn't bite. Got upgraded at the window tonight on the outbound at least Even if I don't get upgraded coming back (I should F still has a lot of seats) I'll be in a C+aisle
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I agree. I really don't consider $1,300 to be a good deal for First class for DTW/SFO roundtrip even though that is probably the regular rate. If I can fly coach for $500 RT in a c+ aisle seat $800 sure isn't worth it for a slightly bigger seat and crappy meal and a couple extra drinks. I figure I can stay in the sky club and have another beverage if I really want a PDB and I can dine very nicely in SF on that $800 I am saving when I land

Now if it was a B fare that I was paying $1,200 for and the FCM different was $100 I would definitely bite.
Looked at non-stops leaving Sat 8/15 returning Wednesday 8/19 and tix start at $1500+ so $1300 total isn't that bad of a price. And I would give some thought to $798 r/t but that's just me.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Looked at non-stops leaving Sat 8/15 returning Wednesday 8/19 and tix start at $1500+ so $1300 total isn't that bad of a price. And I would give some thought to $798 r/t but that's just me.
Try SFO-FLL (or any of the usual cheap east coast suspects) with a DTW connection. Much cheaper at least on the outbound as long as you don't check bags.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by krlcomm
The $798 was the ADDITIONAL fee to upgrade from my coach ticket to fist. There's a lot better things I can do with $798 than use it to upgrade to first class, especially when I have an aisle C+ seat and can just grab an extra drink at the SC if I really want a PDB that bad (which doesn't always get served anyway). I was feeling guilty about spending money on an apple watch but it is a lot cheaper than paying RT to upgrade for 8.5 to 9 hours of flying.

I cleared at the window for my flight on Friday, so I'm REALLY glad I didn't buy up now. Coming back Monday I'm in an aisle C+ seat as well, am not going to drink at all and will eat lunch with a friend before heading to the airport so I won't be enjoying the wonderful first class lunch even if I do get upgraded.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Miesque
I know we are in the minority on Flyertalk, but those of us who fly primarily on our own dime and can make reservations in advance are really enjoying FCM (and its not just Delta). I used to have to wait and pray that there would be space available for a First upgrade, now I reserve right into First on the flight that fits with the price without loyalty (I will give the caveat the that past 18 months I have been avoiding UAL like the plague and willing paying more to fly Delta/American on like routes). Sure its non-refundable, but I can deal with that, I have not been in coach in a long time.
I like it too. As a Silver Medallion I'm 1/12 on upgrades this year. However, I've had a few trips where I got to fly in F because of the competitive FCM pricing. This is the way flying is now, I'm going to take advantage of it when I can.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
For my flight Tuesday afternoon MSP-LAS im still getting offered a buy up for $298. Looks like 5 open seats up front.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
Just booked a Thanksgiving flight from SLC-SEA and at checkout was offered $138 RT to upgrade. Declined. Now when I go to my trips its at $116. Tempting at that price point considering the craziness of traveling that time, would be nice to have some extra room and overhead bin space dedicated.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mbaker0936
Just booked a Thanksgiving flight from SLC-SEA and at checkout was offered $138 RT to upgrade. Declined. Now when I go to my trips its at $116. Tempting at that price point considering the craziness of traveling that time, would be nice to have some extra room and overhead bin space dedicated.
Precisely when is the flight? When I lived in Mpls and flew to NYC to see family Thanksgiving morning, that was the easiest upgrade I've ever seen, despite being MSP-LGA (a route on which I later averaged about 10% as DM).
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mbaker0936
Originally Posted by sethb
Precisely when is the flight? ... Thanksgiving morning ... easiest upgrade I've ever seen.
$58 one way is well within the $1/min parameter (not that that's necessarily a universal standard of acceptability) ... remember too that the purchased UG gets you rebooked into G/A/P, which gives you SDC privileges if there's an available FC seat regardless of inventory
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jrl767
$58 one way is well within the $1/min parameter (not that that's necessarily a universal standard of acceptability) ... remember too that the purchased UG gets you rebooked into G/A/P, which gives you SDC privileges if there's an available FC seat regardless of inventory
SDC and bonus MQM.

On some flights, those can be more worthwhile than the actual seat (esp. if you already have a nice C+ seat and there's no meal service).
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by gooselee
SDC and bonus MQM.

On some flights, those can be more worthwhile than the actual seat (esp. if you already have a nice C+ seat and there's no meal service).
How is $138 for only 680 MQMs worth it.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I've had pretty good pricing so far this year with FCM. But looked today for a ticket DCA-MSY in early October. The base ticket that met my time schedule was $303 -- FCM would have added $600+ each way. I'm holding off a while on my purchase.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
How is $138 for only 680 MQMs worth it.
How is "worth it" a decision that anyone but the purchaser should be making in this case? For all we know this could be someone's last flight of the year, and without the buy-up they'll end the year at 24.5k MQM.

I was merely pointing out that up-faring to the P/A/G fares also gives you the bonus MQMs, in addition to SDC flexibility.

Besides, FCM offer in question is now $116 for:
- A guaranteed FC seat both ways
- 680 extra MQMs
- SDC flexibility both ways

And while OP appears to be GM or PM, if he/she were not, that $116 would also provide:
- Extra checked bags both ways
- SkyPriority both ways

Personally, I think that's a solid deal, and I've certainly paid more than that just for the SDC flexibility when I've needed or wanted it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.