Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Was expecting to utilize FCM next week, but had a funny experience this week when booking flights from west coast to MCO. I was looking at either SEA or PDX for departures and found a flight via SLC that was the later departure I wanted. Out of either SEA or PDX, Y on that flight was super expensive. Because I wont be exactly in either SEA or PDX, I looked at "nearby" airports with ITA and actually found an F seat RDM-SLC-MCO for about 1/2 the price of the Y ticket from Seattle or Portland (and it's not much less convenient to drive to RDM than PDX for me). I booked it to hold with intention to look around some more and went back the next day and nothing near it in Y let alone F. So looked for MCO-RDM return since my car will be there and what do you know, discounted F pops up. So overall got paid discounted F for about 75% of what it would have cost via SEA or PDX in Y.
I feel like I am in an open air bazaar with DL.com sometimes...
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
JFK-PHX $149. Wow

have to be in Phoenix to help my mom with some legal stuff in early August.

Now I know it's not a great time to visit PHX weather wise. 125 degrees no thank you.

But a few things surprised me...

Delta has 3 daily non stops in both directions JFK-PHX. Since when? Wow?

All flights for most days are not sold at all. Big D still offering T or lowerfares on virtually all flights.

And from the lowest coach fare an upgrade to F is only $149 each way. DOUBLE WOW! I sprang for first on the outbound evening flight. But opted for economy plus on red eye return. Probably get the last of my comp medallion upgrades ever on this flight.

Goodbye Delta. I barely knew thee.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:41 pm

Over a 50% load factor for paid in F/C last quarter. Don't stop Glenn Moneystein short. Wants above 75%. As I've posted in other threads, Economy Comfort or whatever it's called is Delta's new plan for an upgraded class.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by n7371f
Over a 50% load factor for paid in F/C last quarter. Don't stop Glenn Moneystein short. Wants above 75%. As I've posted in other threads, Economy Comfort or whatever it's called is Delta's new plan for an upgraded class.
Indeed. No argument there.

But see my example above. Upgrade pricing is more and more like it was post deregulation. 1980's...

Honestly i would rather pay $100-300 for a guaranteed F seat than take a chance on the upgrade fairy who visits less and less often.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mridley2
... Honestly i would rather pay $100-300 for a guaranteed F seat than take a chance on the upgrade fairy who visits less and less often.
I've posted this several times before: the typical FCM on my TCONs (WAS <--> LAX/SEA) is around $160, and the flexibility to SDC to any flight -- including WAS-JFK-LAX -- with an open F seat makes this a no-brainer as a PM
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I know we are in the minority on Flyertalk, but those of us who fly primarily on our own dime and can make reservations in advance are really enjoying FCM (and its not just Delta). I used to have to wait and pray that there would be space available for a First upgrade, now I reserve right into First on the flight that fits with the price without loyalty (I will give the caveat the that past 18 months I have been avoiding UAL like the plague and willing paying more to fly Delta/American on like routes). Sure its non-refundable, but I can deal with that, I have not been in coach in a long time.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Was hoping for a FCM offer on my DTW/SFO trip next weekend but they want $750 to upgrade. I'm surprised because 75 percent of F is still open on the seat map, but maybe it's a good thing--at those rates people are going to be a lot less likely to buy F making my upgrade chances better (I am 100% on DTW/SFO and SFO/DTW and make that trip 4 times a year)

No problem at all getting an aisle C+ seat. The past four months, EVERY trip I booked on Delta has had aisle C+ seats available so maybe medallions that used to take those seats are taking advantage of FCM leaving more of the C+ seats available??
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Was hoping for a FCM offer on my DTW/SFO trip next weekend but they want $750 to upgrade. I'm surprised because 75 percent of F is still open on the seat map, but maybe it's a good thing--at those rates people are going to be a lot less likely to buy F making my upgrade chances better (I am 100% on DTW/SFO and SFO/DTW and make that trip 4 times a year) ...
you need to remember that not all those FCM candidates are ex-DTW at that $750 price point ...
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
at all getting an aisle C+ seat. The past four months, EVERY trip I booked on Delta has had aisle C+ seats available so maybe medallions that used to take those seats are taking advantage of FCM leaving more of the C+ seats available??
My guess would be it has more to do with DL doing away with C+ benefits at booking for GMs, who instead now have to wait until 72 hours. As a GM I've yet to pay for C+. I either 1) buy FCM or 2) select a regular/preferred seat and hope for an upgrade or at least a decent C+ seat at 72 hours.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Was hoping for a FCM offer on my DTW/SFO trip next weekend but they want $750 to upgrade. I'm surprised because 75 percent of F is still open on the seat map, but maybe it's a good thing--at those rates people are going to be a lot less likely to buy F making my upgrade chances better (I am 100% on DTW/SFO and SFO/DTW and make that trip 4 times a year)
Are you kidding me? $750 for an upgrade DTW-SFO??? Earlier this year they offered me an upgrade between MSP and LHR for only $500, which was a no-brainer. No one in their right mind would pay $750 to upgrade a 4.5 hour flight, would they??????
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mrcimino1
Are you kidding me? $750 for an upgrade DTW-SFO??? Earlier this year they offered me an upgrade between MSP and LHR for only $500, which was a no-brainer. No one in their right mind would pay $750 to upgrade a 4.5 hour flight, would they??????
That's RT (and I was wrong on the amount it is $798 not $750) but that is still crazy. That's $400 each way, a lot better things to spend $798 on, especially since I have a really good chance at the upgrade and if I don't get upgraded I have a good C+ seat. I've seen DTW/LAS RT for less than $798 with a FCM fare before.

Paying $500 to fly to LHR is a no brainer. Just the flat bed seat and ability to sleep is worth it alone
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
My guess would be it has more to do with DL doing away with C+ benefits at booking for GMs, who instead now have to wait until 72 hours. As a GM I've yet to pay for C+. I either 1) buy FCM or 2) select a regular/preferred seat and hope for an upgrade or at least a decent C+ seat at 72 hours.
What I'm seeing lately, whether due to FCM (which I buy whenever feasible) or people on OPM or whatever the reason, is F cabins much fuller closer to the 72 and 24 thresholds, but not really many or any C+ seats opening up. As much as I hate dislike at least not getting a discount on C+, it's always makes the buy-up that much easier. $50/person per flight for a four segment itinerary? Oh, and F is only ~$200 more than Y? I'm not going to wait for the "free period" to try and poach a C+ seat, especially since I pretty much travel with my wife all the time. Unless the flight is short (like less than an hour), I'll suck it up and pay for C+ or F. That's exactly what DL wants, I know, but if I wanted regular old seats somewhere in the back half of the bus, I'd fly on someone else.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
That's RT (and I was wrong on the amount it is $798 not $750) but that is still crazy. That's $400 each way, a lot better things to spend $798 on, especially since I have a really good chance at the upgrade and if I don't get upgraded I have a good C+ seat. I've seen DTW/LAS RT for less than $798 with a FCM fare before.

Paying $500 to fly to LHR is a no brainer. Just the flat bed seat and ability to sleep is worth it alone
The $798 amount would depend on what you paid for the original ticket, at least for me... if the original Y ticket only cost $400-$500 then adding $798 r/t trip for F would work for me... $1200-$1300 r/t in F on that route seems like a deal IMO. If the original Y fare was $1k+ then maybe not so much. Good luck on the UG!
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by krlcomm
The $798 amount would depend on what you paid for the original ticket, at least for me... if the original Y ticket only cost $400-$500 then adding $798 r/t trip for F would work for me... $1200-$1300 r/t in F on that route seems like a deal IMO. If the original Y fare was $1k+ then maybe not so much. Good luck on the UG!
I don't understand that at all. The only question that would matter to me is whether the difference between Y and F is worth $X. The Y ticket is a sunk cost.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
I don't understand that at all. The only question that would matter to me is whether the difference between Y and F is worth $X. The Y ticket is a sunk cost.
I agree. I really don't consider $1,300 to be a good deal for First class for DTW/SFO roundtrip even though that is probably the regular rate. If I can fly coach for $500 RT in a c+ aisle seat $800 sure isn't worth it for a slightly bigger seat and crappy meal and a couple extra drinks. I figure I can stay in the sky club and have another beverage if I really want a PDB and I can dine very nicely in SF on that $800 I am saving when I land

Now if it was a B fare that I was paying $1,200 for and the FCM different was $100 I would definitely bite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.