Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
When I fly Delta despite another airline being cheaper and/or more convenient, I'm paying with money and time for the extra miles/status I earn [see that word?] on Delta.

When I intentionally use a longer routing to get more MQM, I'm paying in time and convenience.

You might choose to consider that your time is worth nothing, or that any extra money you might spend doesn't count, but many of us believe that our time and money have value.
lol....how much did you actually pay for that RUC? From your post you make it very clear that you DO NOT value your time or money. But DL loves ya for it.....all the way to the bank. I am going to trump you (and every other DM who is using a RUC) on every flight unless you buy up with FCM if I am also using a RUC. Almost a fools game isn't it?

Everything you mentioned.....you choose....and they flew you from point A to point B, just like every one that was the flights you were on. If you want to play the game.....and game the system that is great, but in the end you paid ZERO for RUC.

Suggest you read the T&C of the program as well.......

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Jul 7, 2015 at 5:07 pm
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Suggest you read the T&C of the program as well.......
Oh, but piedmont...that would debunk most of the arguments on this board.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
All I can say is that as a non-status with DL now, the airline offers zero incentive for me to consider gaining status again. With FCM, I can often fly DL up front cheaper than Y would cost me on AA. Furthermore, since Y+ is very often more than half the cost of just buying up to F, it's really a no-brainer for me. At this point, I'm pretty much just using AA, DL, and UA as a means to position to other airlines anyway, so by spreading business and avoiding being sucked into loyalty schemes, I have the freedom to choose the best product and equipment at the best price, each time.

It basically means I end up spending far less money with domestic carriers, and far less money overall, as I find better intercontinental J fares with foreign airlines typically. All in all, I'm enjoying FCM, it does nothing to help the slew of crappy F products across the board at AA, DL, and UA, but as long as what I'm paying is marginally more expensive than a discount Y fare, the product at least matches the pricing.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by cmd320
All I can say is that as a non-status with DL now, the airline offers zero incentive for me to consider gaining status again. With FCM, I can often fly DL up front cheaper than Y would cost me on AA. Furthermore, since Y+ is very often more than half the cost of just buying up to F, it's really a no-brainer for me. At this point, I'm pretty much just using AA, DL, and UA as a means to position to other airlines anyway, so by spreading business and avoiding being sucked into loyalty schemes, I have the freedom to choose the best product and equipment at the best price, each time.

It basically means I end up spending far less money with domestic carriers, and far less money overall, as I find better intercontinental J fares with foreign airlines typically. All in all, I'm enjoying FCM, it does nothing to help the slew of crappy F products across the board at AA, DL, and UA, but as long as what I'm paying is marginally more expensive than a discount Y fare, the product at least matches the pricing.

I think this is a pretty important point. The majors are getting much better at monetization, and much better at making it important to stick with one carrier to get miles. But as they dilute the value of those miles, and continue to narrow the benefits/value of loyalty, they are going to miss out on otherwise captive traffic that now buys exactly what they want a la carte -- and where the dollars really count, that often means with superior foreign carriers.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by cmd320

I agree with you. After all but one purchase in the past six months being paid F/premium cabins on foreign carriers, I see little reason to chase status and do MRs (especially with increased medallion thresholds). It's harder now that I have a wife, and will be harder still in the future. Eventually when I travel, it'll be nonrev to deadhead as a pilot, or probably paying for Y for us and the kids. However, as tempting as it is for me to think of FCMing on other carriers, DL is more often than not cheaper out of SLC, and often times can be a nonstop. Latest trip I booked, just for comparison: Y on AA and UA required connections and were at least $50 more per person (not including C+), and paying for C+ was still less than WN. But hey, I guess I'm not really complaining; if DL is cheaper and more convenient, offers decent FCM at times, I'll go with it. Then by next year I can have all the miles I need to take my wife on a big trip and then probably be done with the whole status/miles thing.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by sethb
When I fly Delta despite another airline being cheaper and/or more convenient, I'm paying with money and time for the extra miles/status I earn [see that word?] on Delta.

When I intentionally use a longer routing to get more MQM, I'm paying in time and convenience.

You might choose to consider that your time is worth nothing, or that any extra money you might spend doesn't count, but many of us believe that our time and money have value.
Um...I value my time and money very highly, which is why I will happily fly UA or AA when they offer a better route and schedule at a cheaper price.

All things being equal, I will certainly choose DL. But if it's a direct flight on UA for $300 vs. a connection on DL for $400, DL is going to lose every time.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
lol....how much did you actually pay for that RUC? From your post you make it very clear that you DO NOT value your time or money. But DL loves ya for it.....all the way to the bank. I am going to trump you (and every other DM who is using a RUC) on every flight unless you buy up with FCM if I am also using a RUC. Almost a fools game isn't it?

Everything you mentioned.....you choose....and they flew you from point A to point B, just like every one that was the flights you were on. If you want to play the game.....and game the system that is great, but in the end you paid ZERO for RUC.
You can keep claiming I paid ZERO, but I know that I got the RUCs because I flew enough miles on Delta, and I flew those miles on Delta at a cost. That is what the RUCs actually cost, no matter how many times you claim ZERO.

Being "loyal" to Delta is becoming more and more of a fool's game, yes. When enough people realize that and act on it, Delta will find out it isn't necessarily all that profitable long-term to drive customers away for small immediate profits.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
However, a lot of you are talking about getting offers after booking economy tickets and later checking on my trips. Do you just check every day? Is it only shown when you check "My Trips" on the website? Is there any sort of consensus on when or why they may be offered?
Yes, I typically check every day. In my experience, every flight that I booked on Delta.com has had an upgrade offer in My Trips (either on the website or the app), except one that had no F tickets for sale. Tickets booked through my work's travel agent do not have the offer presented.

The couple times I've bought the upgrade, my ticket was reissued in G or A class (with 50% MQM bonus, etc).

Others have mentioned here on FT of getting upgrade offers at check in. I've never seen one, but from what I've gathered (and I could be wrong) these are more like an RP type upgrade with no MQM bonus.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
The couple times I've bought the upgrade, my ticket was reissued in G or A class (with 50% MQM bonus, etc).

Others have mentioned here on FT of getting upgrade offers at check in. I've never seen one, but from what I've gathered (and I could be wrong) these are more like an RP type upgrade with no MQM bonus.
I've been reading as much as I can (what I need right now are extra MQD) My past couple trips I've had offers in MyTrips and haven't taken advantage (usually they aren't that appealing but a couple have been...)

I've searched this thread (but, it's really long and totally possible my search terms are inadequate) as well as the Delta website - is there any way to know which offers will get you that G or A ticket (with appropriate MQDs) vs treating the money you pay to upgrade as a "fee" that doesn't count as MQD (which I've seen mentioned in a few places here, mainly in response to the upgrade at OLCI)?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Um...I value my time and money very highly, which is why I will happily fly UA or AA when they offer a better route and schedule at a cheaper price.

All things being equal, I will certainly choose DL. But if it's a direct flight on UA for $300 vs. a connection on DL for $400, DL is going to lose every time.
Well that stratergy would not have worked too well for UA today.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
been watching an upcoming trip from STL>AUS and it's been all over on the FCM offers. Started out @ $213, yesterday it was @ $354, now this AM it's @ $254. I've done this same trip, same routing the last 3 years and have been UG on all 4 legs every time......no way I'm paying, but I do find it interesting how the dollar amount jumps all over the map.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: DL PM; SPG Plat 100; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I've been reading as much as I can (what I need right now are extra MQD) My past couple trips I've had offers in MyTrips and haven't taken advantage (usually they aren't that appealing but a couple have been...)

I've searched this thread (but, it's really long and totally possible my search terms are inadequate) as well as the Delta website - is there any way to know which offers will get you that G or A ticket (with appropriate MQDs) vs treating the money you pay to upgrade as a "fee" that doesn't count as MQD (which I've seen mentioned in a few places here, mainly in response to the upgrade at OLCI)?
Any time that I have purchased prior to T-24, I have always been booked into G or A. That is not to say that it still couldn't happen inside of T-24; I just do not have any experience doing that.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by RDUKingFisher
Any time that I have purchased prior to T-24, I have always been booked into G or A. That is not to say that it still couldn't happen inside of T-24; I just do not have any experience doing that.
Thanks. That does seem to be the norm for the few posts I've seen that separate out the issues of timing.

I guess I'll just have to pick a price I'd be happy with for a future flight and just do it. (not today, though. T-24 and I'm happy with C+ for free and being on the upgrade list - not holding my breath though, I don't think we've ever been upgraded on this itin to MKE)
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Darth Chocolate
Well that stratergy would not have worked too well for UA today.
True. But it worked just fine the three or four times I've flown UA or AA/US this year.

DL also had me stuck at DTW for 6+ hours last month, so...
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:19 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gooselee
True. But it worked just fine the three or four times I've flown UA or AA/US this year.

DL also had me stuck at DTW for 6+ hours last month, so...
And UA has left me stuck at Ohare for just as long and the CO part of UA left me stuck at Newark overnight and told me they couldn't fly me out until late the next day when I was able to buy a ticket for the morning of the next day on them. So what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.