Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old May 18, 15, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
that's a bit above the $1/minute threshold discussed upthread; I'd be perfectly happy with C+ on those trips
Thank you,
but not following the math? Total 5hr flight time for 148$ is 300m/148$=0.5$ per minute?

But assuming being under the threshold would indicate a good price?
Old May 18, 15, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA DULtArer
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Excellent points, but there are also counterpoints:

1) I find myself quite frequently on flights that are full by only have 10 people on the UG list. It depends on time and market. I fully admit I don't know the larger trends across the board for all flight at all times, but I know that IME, the length of UG list varies greatly but the filled capacity of the flight seems to be consistent.

2) Again, I have no data to back this up, but I feel like many FTers greatly overestimate the number of travelers, even elites, who will pay more or take inconvenient routings/schedules just to maintain loyalty/status. I would actually venture that most elites in all programs get there "naturally" - that is, they simply travel enough or maintain consistent enough patterns that always choosing the best price/schedule/routing gets them status without them having to go out of their way to use one airline/hotel over another.

3) Agree that it's a balance. I don't have the information nor am I smart enough to know the answer. I'm mostly just trying to point out that there is a clear path of reasoning behind FCM and the airlines' choosing to give less attention to their elites these days. Whether that strategy pays off in the long run...I don't think any of us has that answer.

I think the difference here is that many FTers make purchase decision based on what gets them the best miles and path to status. Most others, including myself and most of the people I know, make purchase decision based on cost vs. product, where product primarily includes routing, schedule, and service.

In a situation where DL costs $5 or $10 more to fly vs. AA/US/UA for the same route, same # connections, and essentially same schedule, you end up with three types of people - from my experience, this is the order from biggest group to smallest:
1. People who just buy the cheapest fare and don't look back.
2. People who will buy the higher DL fare because they like DL's planes and people better and have had positive experiences in the past.
3. People who will buy the higher DL fare because they want those miles and status.

I believe that outside of FT, #3 is actually a very, very small group, which is why the airlines are focused on the people in 1 and 2.
Well done. I think group 3 is <0.1% of flyers, to be honest.

Whats nice here in DL is the respect that the members have for 1,2,3 without the apologist, Stockholm-syndrome, ****=hater labels that are rank in 'other' Fora

No "Anyone who flies DL is insane" and other tripe.
Old May 18, 15, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry View Post
Can book a RT SEA-LAS for 308$, or 466$ in F. Does not seem like a bad deal for 2x 2.5 hr flights. Opinions?
I wouldn't. The bonus MQM's wouldn't be that much and you probably wouldn't have a full meal service. I would just sit in C+ and hope for the upgrade. If you don't clear you will have a free drink or two in C+ and could spend that $150 in Vegas on a nice meal
Old May 18, 15, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry View Post
Thank you,
but not following the math? Total 5hr flight time for 148$ is 300m/148$=0.5$ per minute?

But assuming being under the threshold would indicate a good price?
:facepalm: missed "RT"

but my statement stands, I'd be perfectly happy to stay in C+ and keep the $$ to indulge in whatever LAS indulgences I might want to enjoy
Old May 18, 15, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
jamesteroh, jrl67, thank you for your feedback, excellent points!
Old May 24, 15, 1:32 pm

Programs: HH Gold
Normally, I wouldn't post but am curious. Have no status, but am looking at a one-way itinerary RDU-DTW-SEA. The difference between Y and F is roughly $150. If I have the extra $$ to spend, would it be worth it for extra space and checked baggage (and a Woodford or two)?

Note: The only other DL "premium experience" I've had was SEA-JFK in BE, so obviously I'm not expecting something similar.
Old May 24, 15, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by timboy219 View Post
Normally, I wouldn't post but am curious. Have no status, but am looking at a one-way itinerary RDU-DTW-SEA. The difference between Y and F is roughly $150. If I have the extra $$ to spend, would it be worth it for extra space and checked baggage (and a Woodford or two)?

Note: The only other DL "premium experience" I've had was SEA-JFK in BE, so obviously I'm not expecting something similar.
I can't say for you, without looking into your bank account.

But, that figure is within the range I would be willing to pay to avoid flying DL coach coast-to-coast.

Clearly, RM is trying to find the sweet spot on UP-fare increments.
Old May 24, 15, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA LT PLT
Absolutely. Even without checked bags, I'd pay $150 to avoid 6+ hours in DL Y.
Old May 24, 15, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold

Worth it on what is a transon itinerary IMO. On a pair of hour long flights maybe not, but that's a pretty good deal for those flights.
Old May 24, 15, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether it's worth it is a personal financial decision. What does $150 mean to you.

To me, it's well worth it for the 2-2 seating alone.
Old May 24, 15, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It passes the initial requirement of the CMK10 Bright Line Test: Cost must be $1/minute or less. Plus you'll get a meal, it's two flights and one of them is significant length. I'd pay the money too.
Old May 24, 15, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
[QaUOTE=Ben and Jerry;24834511]Can book a RT SEA-LAS for 308$, or 466$ in F. Does not seem like a bad deal for 2x 2.5 hr flights. Opinions?[/QUOTE]

Well worth it at this price. You will be glad you did it. (I am assuming you won't be sacrificing on meals or accommodations by making the choice, of course.)
Old May 25, 15, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others

How many bags are you thinking of checking? If 3, that's most of the cost right there.
Old May 26, 15, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Seeing a ~2hr flight out of Atlanta that's 444 RT in Basic Economy (no upgrades), 464 in regular economy (T), and 488 in First (G). So $20 RT to go from basic to regular, $24 to go from reg to first.
Old May 26, 15, 7:41 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by dk240t View Post
Seeing a ~2hr flight out of Atlanta that's 444 RT in Basic Economy (no upgrades), 464 in regular economy (T), and 488 in First (G). So $20 RT to go from basic to regular, $24 to go from reg to first.
That's a fairly high fare though for a 2 hour flight... esp. if you're looking at something like ATL-DCA...

Search this Thread