Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
So full blown fraud is the logical answer? And people wonder why DL is trying to get rid of the entitled mentality.
I fail to see the fraud in buying an FCM ticket (or upfaring to one). Perhaps you believe DL is committing fraud by advertising unlimited medallion upgrades and then severely limiting them by FCM?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Yes. You can also upgrade individual segments* in advance by calling in.

*Assuming a nonstop. For connecting itineraries, you're basically up-faring so would need to upgrade that particular fare component. E.g., MDW-ATL-MCO, if ticketed on a CHI-ORL fare, you'd need to upgrade both legs at once).
Thanks. In this case, is it likelier than the MDW-ATL outbound is $100.50 to upgrade and the ATL-ORD inbound is $100.50 to upgrade, or that the outbound is $X and the inbound is $Y and X+Y=$201?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by abefroman329
Thanks. In this case, is it likelier than the MDW-ATL outbound is $100.50 to upgrade and the ATL-ORD inbound is $100.50 to upgrade, or that the outbound is $X and the inbound is $Y and X+Y=$201?
Are they the same class? (Not that the answer to that would be definitive, you'd have to phone and ask to know for sure.)
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sethb
I fail to see the fraud in buying an FCM ticket (or upfaring to one). Perhaps you believe DL is committing fraud by advertising unlimited medallion upgrades and then severely limiting them by FCM?
Seth...you need to read a little closer, my friend.

I was commenting about the poster upthread that wanted to book multiple F tickets and refund them within 24 hours to leave an empty F cabin as punishment to DL. That is fraud.

I know its fun to jump the guy that doesn't participate in the whole "F the airlines" bandwagon, but I don't think any could defend that.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Are they the same class? (Not that the answer to that would be definitive, you'd have to phone and ask to know for sure.)
+1. Just call and ask. Then if you decide you want to do it, you're already on the phone with an agent who has your PNR pulled up.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
And people wonder why DL is trying to get rid of the entitled mentality.
No, that's complete crap. Some guy spouts off something stupid and you write DL a blank check excuse for anything they go to screw over their FFs - or, as you nicely rewrite, get rid of the entitled mentality.

Remarkable.

FTF
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seth...you need to read a little closer, my friend.

I was commenting about the poster upthread that wanted to book multiple F tickets and refund them within 24 hours to leave an empty F cabin as punishment to DL. That is fraud.

I know its fun to jump the guy that doesn't participate in the whole "F the airlines" bandwagon, but I don't think any could defend that.
I agree that buying tickets with no intent to use them is fraud. (That doesn't include things like buying multiple tickets with the intent to use one of them but not knowing yet which one will be feasible or required, or buying a new ticket that requires abandoning (part of?) an old one.)
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I agree that buying tickets with no intent to use them is fraud. (That doesn't include things like buying multiple tickets with the intent to use one of them but not knowing yet which one will be feasible or required, or buying a new ticket that requires abandoning (part of?) an old one.)
I'm relatively sure that the vast majority of us agree with this statement.

I've certainly thrown away my fair share of tickets that I absolutely intended to use when I bought them, but later realized that I couldn't/wouldn't need them. Part of why I almost always buy two one-ways instead of RT tickets.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:46 am

Yes, they're both V class.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I had a free skybonus ticket about to expire and decided to use it on DTW/YYZ since airfare is so absurd on this route and I wouldn't be able to get away from the office early enough to cross the border to take Porter or Via from Windsor. Tickets are not eligible for upgrade.

First for me, it offered me the opportunity to buy up to first class for $179. I'm in 5b (aisle bulkhead c+ seat in an RJ with no bulkhead wall) so it was no brainer declining that. I can't believe anyone would bite for an hour flight. I can buy a lot of drinks and nice meals the entire weekend for that. Seeing it's a SB free ticket no bonus MQM's either.

I've never been offered a buyup to first before on a SB free ticket
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
FCM variant

Just booked two award tickets three weeks out.

No 25 K awards, of course, but FC award tickets were equal to or cheaper than coach, depending upon itinerary selected.

I wonder if award tickets count towards the goal of 70 to 80% "paid" FC seats?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold
First time offer today for PVD-ATL for $109. Turned it down since I had a good C+ seat and I cared more about the ATL-PHX flight although that one wasn't offered. In the end, I missed that flight anyway and bought first class outright for an extra $80 for a ATL-PHX tomorrow am. Glad I didn't bite on the first offer.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Just booked two award tickets three weeks out.

No 25 K awards, of course, but FC award tickets were equal to or cheaper than coach, depending upon itinerary selected.

I wonder if award tickets count towards the goal of 70 to 80% "paid" FC seats?
A friend of mine (no status who has a lot more miles through Am Ex spending than flying) booked DTW/LAX yesterday on miles and it was only 5,000 more miles for first than coach. Helps to explain why sometimes diamonds aren't clearing that route using an RU
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
lga to dfw in 13 days. I paid $294.00 for the non stop flights. I can upgrade for $233.00 RT. It gives me an extra 1400 MQM. Total price paid if I UG my ticket will be $527.00. If I do a dummy booking and want to buy an F ticket with the same flights, the price comes to $635.00. This one is a tough decision. $233.00 for the extra 1400 MQM isn't great but it also isn't bad.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
lga to dfw in 13 days. I paid $294.00 for the non stop flights. I can upgrade for $233.00 RT. It gives me an extra 1400 MQM. Total price paid if I UG my ticket will be $527.00. If I do a dummy booking and want to buy an F ticket with the same flights, the price comes to $635.00. This one is a tough decision. $233.00 for the extra 1400 MQM isn't great but it also isn't bad.
That's a bit steep for me. It certainly fails my < $1/minute test. You're basically doubling your ticket price for the fairly mediocre product on that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.