Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
I did another buy up for my flight tomorrow even though I would have probably received the upgrade. Did it again just for FCM.

I'm flying to BWI and would rather fly to DCA. It's $380 with the change fare to be confirmed into coach. I was able to do a buyup at check in for $129 and called the diamond desk and did a SDC on the DCA flight. No brainer, saving $250 and getting a confirmed first seat.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I did another buy up for my flight tomorrow even though I would have probably received the upgrade. Did it again just for FCM.

I'm flying to BWI and would rather fly to DCA. It's $380 with the change fare to be confirmed into coach. I was able to do a buyup at check in for $129 and called the diamond desk and did a SDC on the DCA flight. No brainer, saving $250 and getting a confirmed first seat.
^ but, they'll find a way to prevent this in the future.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by tentseller
I flipped three cars for a quick profit without registering title. Buyer paid up and I gave him paperwork and keys to drive it away from delivery centre. Acura NSX original, Mazda RX7-J spec final edition and right-hand drive Tesla S.
That's a different story. In the first one you paid three times for one car. In this one you paid once each for three cars.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
As they should.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES

Gamer
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM

^^ Well Done!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If we keep bragging about it here, they sure will.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I wrote a few days ago on this thread that DL wanted $665.00 to upgrade a $353.20 V fare IAD-LAS and return for travel in mid-April.

DL now wants $821.00 to upgrade this fare.

Guess I'll be joining Ted Rall in coach.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gooselee
This is not even an appropriate analogy. Better would be someone paying $X more than base to get leather seats and a navigation system in their car, and then you saying they are foolish and stupid because you personally don't care for leather seats or navigation.
Not completely foolish, but a better way is to get navigation is to use your mobile for it (and get an appropriate mount to use it legally while driving.)
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
This is not even an appropriate analogy. Better would be someone paying $X more than base to get leather seats and a navigation system in their car, and then you saying they are foolish and stupid because you personally don't care for leather seats or navigation.
Not completely foolish, but a better way is to get navigation is to use your mobile for it (and get an appropriate mount to use it legally while driving.)
Good god. Ok, so just leather seats. Or perhaps a backup camera. Surely there isn't an app for that, yet...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ND76
I wrote a few days ago on this thread that DL wanted $665.00 to upgrade a $353.20 V fare IAD-LAS and return for travel in mid-April.

DL now wants $821.00 to upgrade this fare.

Guess I'll be joining Ted Rall in coach.
Seems to go either way -- a few days ago a DCA-DTW-FLL-ATL-MCI-MSP-DCA flight, the upgrade offer was $540 or so. Today it was $325
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Good god. Ok, so just leather seats. Or perhaps a backup camera. Surely there isn't an app for that, yet...
Well.... 2016 models will all have standard backup cameras thanks to uncle Sam.

Someone ran over a kid and lobbied Congress, Congress wanted votes so they passed a bill... Now everyone pays $500 more for new cars so they can watch their camera and get sideswiped by a car or bicycle...

...Fortunately in 2018 congress will pass a law mandating side view cameras as well...

Sorry, just giving you a hard time

I think the real question in all this is how much data Delta is gathering on the true value of FC for EACH flyer. It wont be long before the offers are tailored specifically by person by flight...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by scracer14
I think the real question in all this is how much data Delta is gathering on the true value of FC for EACH flyer. It wont be long before the offers are tailored specifically by person by flight...
Are you suggesting that those who brag that they can afford FCM buy-ups, who claim they almost always partake, and then assert their superiority over those who don't/can't.... may find themselves, based upon their past purchasing habits, targeted for buy-up incrementals that are higher than those offered mere mortals?

If only such karma existed.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Are you suggesting that those who brag that they can afford FCM buy-ups, who claim they almost always partake, and then assert their superiority over those who don't/can't.... may find themselves, based upon their past purchasing habits, targeted for buy-up incrementals that are higher than those offered mere mortals?

If only such karma existed.
I'm suggesting, if I were Delta, if you bite on $250, your offer will be $275 next time.. Depending of course on many factors, like who else is on the flight who might take an offer. PAX XYZ flies the same route as you and every other week takes the FCM offer for $350, I would offer to them first, then you for $275 (because you took it last time) then Joe Vacationer for $150...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:29 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
FCM on Premium routes to JFK

Has anyone been offered a buy-up at check-in to Business on SFO-JFK or vice versa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.