Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by Sez_Who

But… but… but…

We have had improvements, just as predicted. We now have Starbucks coffee and new seat covers. And maybe an olive or two. Yep, just as predicted, we are seeing a much improved FC.
But looking at it another way, has Delta (like other industries, most notably food) done anything to cheapen its FC product?

It's all about improving the margins. Delta could have gone another way and cheapened its FC product.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by hazelrah
But looking at it another way, has Delta (like other industries, most notably food) done anything to cheapen its FC product?

It's all about improving the margins. Delta could have gone another way and cheapened its FC product.
It's hard to see how.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by sethb
It's hard to see how.
If they cheapened it anymore, it would be like the new EC. On a flight in an aircraft with personal IFE and with no meal service there wouldn't be much difference between EC and First with the exception of the PDB service and a little better seat.

I sat up front Sunday night on the SEA/DTW redeye and wasn't much difference between there or if I would have been in EC. I had Bailey's on the rocks in the SC about a half hour before (helps knocks me out for a red eye) so I skipped the PDB and I slept the entire flight so the free IFE, drinks and food (no meal service anyway on domestic redeyes) didn't matter. If I had an EC or exit row seat on a redeye I sure wouldn't pay to upgrade to first unless it happened to be an aircraft with flat bed seats repositioning
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If they cheapened it anymore, it would be like the new EC. On a flight in an aircraft with personal IFE and with no meal service there wouldn't be much difference between EC and First with the exception of the PDB service and a little better seat.

I sat up front Sunday night on the SEA/DTW redeye and wasn't much difference between there or if I would have been in EC. I had Bailey's on the rocks in the SC about a half hour before (helps knocks me out for a red eye) so I skipped the PDB and I slept the entire flight so the free IFE, drinks and food (no meal service anyway on domestic redeyes) didn't matter. If I had an EC or exit row seat on a redeye I sure wouldn't pay to upgrade to first unless it happened to be an aircraft with flat bed seats repositioning
I'm pretty much with you on this, with the sole exception being that my principal redeye run is SEA-JFK ... I'm not a SkyClub member, so having comp entry with the F/J boarding pass gives me the chance to shower and change on arrival, then have some oatmeal and a self-serve espresso or two before my connection to WAS ... that's a big benefit when I have to be in the office until 6pm or so
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Exclamation WARNING: Check DL's arithmetic on FCM

Today I was looking at schedules and prices for a domestic trip.

Using Safari on an ipad, after picking flights DL offered an "upgrade" for $10 more than the difference between the lowest coach fare and the G A P fare. When I clicked to take the upgrade for money, it correctly showed the G A P fare as the price. However, I suspect that if I had purchased the upgrade with miles, DL would have taken 1,000 too many miles.

When I next looked at the same flights using Chrome on the same ipad, the "upgrade" price was correct and reflected exactly the difference between the G A P fare and the coach fare, in both miles and money.

I've noticed before that the upgrade cost after flights have been selected can lead to a higher fare than if one goes back to redo the search, for example, by searching for fare class Z or higher. This is the first time I've seen the browser make a difference.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm pretty much with you on this, with the sole exception being that my principal redeye run is SEA-JFK ... I'm not a SkyClub member, so having comp entry with the F/J boarding pass gives me the chance to shower and change on arrival, then have some oatmeal and a self-serve espresso or two before my connection to WAS ... that's a big benefit when I have to be in the office until 6pm or so
The skyclub is $25 to $50 for a day pass depending on if you have the right Am Ex, so that would be a savings off the FC fare. I like being able to shower and eat at the SC in DTW after a redeye and just heading to the office a lot of times.

Doesn't the SEA/JFK route have flatbeds? That would also help justify the fare difference on a red eye for sleeping
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
think its 29$ with a Delta amex now.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The skyclub is $25 to $50 for a day pass depending on if you have the right Am Ex, so that would be a savings off the FC fare. I like being able to shower and eat at the SC in DTW after a redeye and just heading to the office a lot of times.

Doesn't the SEA/JFK route have flatbeds? That would also help justify the fare difference on a red eye for sleeping
No more flatbeds (rarely had the right equipment anyway) on JFK-SEA.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Using CMK10's dollar-per-minute rule, I just paid $158 to upgrade ATL-PHL and back.

As a bonus, the return appears to be operated by a 75S which is a nice treat (even if only for a couple hours), and it's worth it for the SDC flexibility and extra MQMs alone, anyway.

Sorry, DMs.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by gooselee
Using CMK10's dollar-per-minute rule, I just paid $158 to upgrade ATL-PHL and back.

As a bonus, the return appears to be operated by a 75S which is a nice treat (even if only for a couple hours), and it's worth it for the SDC flexibility and extra MQMs alone, anyway.

Sorry, DMs.
It is hilarious you guys think we DMs are stewing over you buying up to F.

I actually feel sorry for you that you think a 665 mile flight on an MD90 is worth an extra 158 dollars for a drink and a banana.

Last year I spent $500 to get 15K MQM's so I would say I got a better deal than $158 for 600.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs

I actually feel sorry for you that you think a 665 mile flight on an MD90 is worth an extra 158 dollars for a drink and a banana.

Last year I spent $500 to get 15K MQM's so I would say I got a better deal than $158 for 600.
And yet you post every time, if you really didn't care, you wouldn't bother saying anything. As I said to you earlier, the spending of money is relevant only to the spender.

gooselee, I fully support your purchase, and I'm glad you like my rule. Nice score on the 75S too ^
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs

Glad you feel so superior to me. In addition to the complaints in this very thread, there's a whole other thread of PMs (I'll even include myself) and DMs kvetching about the decrease in UGs as a result of FCM: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...read-lack.html

If you think all I'm buying is a drink and a banana on an M90, you clearly didn't read my post. The collective benefits of a FC ticket on those days, that route, and for my particular needs/preferences is worth well more than $158.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If you think all I'm buying is a drink and a banana on an M90, you clearly didn't read my post. The collective benefits of a FC ticket on those days, that route, and for my particular needs/preferences is worth well more than $158.
Indeed, not the least of which are the extra miles and MQDs. Plus, I think Delta has a good First Class policy and my flights are far more pleasant when I'm sitting there. That's worth the expense to me.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
gooselee, I fully support your purchase, and I'm glad you like my rule. Nice score on the 75S too ^
Thanks! I think my rule is slightly different from yours (or perhaps I just didn't read yours the right way).

If it's <$1/min, I will consider the UG, but won't always purchase it. There are plenty of flights with cheap FCM where I just don't care about sitting up front and have no need for the SDC flexibility (the latter of which is honestly the bigger benefit for me).

And of course on the flights where F/J is important at the get-go...it's WFBF.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:44 am

Thanks! I think my rule is slightly different from yours (or perhaps I just didn't read yours the right way).

If it's <$1/min, I will consider the UG, but won't always purchase it. There are plenty of flights with cheap FCM where I just don't care about sitting up front and have no need for the SDC flexibility (the latter of which is honestly the bigger benefit for me).

And of course on the flights where F/J is important at the get-go...it's WFBF.
Oh no we have the same rule. The CMK10 Bright Line Test is that you can't even consider it until it's under $1/Minute. Then you weigh the factors: likihood of upgrade, your current Y seat, meals if any, aircraft etc.

One of the first rules I learned in law school was: all rules have an exception. So any test I make has to have some.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.