Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by hazelrah
You seem to identify several of the salient points, but you should add:

Delta and its program partners reserve the right to change program rules, benefits, regulations,Travel Awards, fees, mileage Award levels, Pay with Miles terms and conditions and special offers at any time without notice.
And, you should add the point that retaining the right to do something does not necessarily make it right to do.

Let's look beyond FCM. Do you believe it was right for VA Ave to cut GM 2016 benefits in December 2015, after GMs had worked all year to earn them?

VA Ave was certainly using its retained rights, but was this the right (as in ethical) thing to do?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
And, you should add the point that retaining the right to do something does not necessarily make it right to do.

Let's look beyond FCM. Do you believe it was right for VA Ave to cut GM 2016 benefits in December 2015, after GMs had worked all year to earn them?

VA Ave was certainly using its retained rights, but was this the right (as in ethical) thing to do?
ShiB, I've given up on the complaints about the program. I was a complainer 4 years ago when it was evident the ways things were going, and there were a vocal few, and a few walked, but no one really did anything. At this point it's de rigueur. It's a case of the boiling frog and I hopped out a long time ago.

Maybe miles are going the way of green stamps.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:41 am

All I know is that I continue to see deadhead folks filling up first and no room left for the dozens of schleps on the upgrade list. Two flights today, one out of SFO and of the 12 FC seats, two were DHs, one was a non Delta pilot. And folks - "First Class has checked in full"...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by hazelrah
ShiB, I've given up on the complaints about the program. I was a complainer 4 years ago when it was evident the ways things were going, and there were a vocal few, and a few walked, but no one really did anything. At this point it's de rigueur. It's a case of the boiling frog and I hopped out a long time ago.

Maybe miles are going the way of green stamps.
I understand your feelings.

But, the portion of your post that I quoted sounded like you were enabling them (unless it was meant as sarcasm... we really do need a sarcasm smilie.)

If I misinterpreted, my apologies. It's just that VA Ave have too many enablers here already.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Your perception of a caste system amount DL elites and kettles is amusing and that your are championing the cause by upselling to F.
What?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:57 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FF524
All I know is that I continue to see deadhead folks filling up first and no room left for the dozens of schleps on the upgrade list. Two flights today, one out of SFO and of the 12 FC seats, two were DHs, one was a non Delta pilot. And folks - "First Class has checked in full"...
I remember reading on here that NetJets pilots fly first.

I just checked my mom in for a flight tomorrow, her offer was $199 for a flight about 600 miles on an E175. Did not take it. First was basically empty, as was C+ and preferred seats.

Edited to add: my mother is just a regular SM member, no elite status.

Last edited by United747; Mar 6, 2015 at 3:00 pm Reason: See above
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by United747
I remember reading on here that NetJets pilots fly first.

I just checked my mom in for a flight tomorrow, her offer was $199 for a flight about 600 miles on an E175. Did not take it. First was basically empty, as was C+ and preferred seats.

Edited to add: my mother is just a regular SM member, no elite status.
Interestingly - I was in 38, and there was a NetJet pilot sitting behind me in 39. The pilot in 1C had a lanyard around his neck promotig a labor contract - caught it in passing.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Heading to MCO with the kids in a few months, been watching the weekly non-stop MCI-MCO flight, just booked for early May, $298 for coach or $456 for first each. Opted to use my AMEX Reserve Companion for two of the tickets, which bumped it up to $550 for an A-class first fare, or $578 for two with the taxes and fees on the companion, redeemed 60k for PWM on the other two, so out of pocket is $890 and 60k miles for four tickets. I'm quite happy with that, though I'm sure some others will find it a less attractive value ($223 + 15k miles each, and I earn MQM/RDM on the paid $550 fare, I don't much care about what the others earn, the two on PWM tickets will earn a few RDM). I appreciate the non-stop flights at convenient times, not the private plane my wife thinks we should charter, but not a huge step down from it either. Admittedly we're likely not stealing upgrades from Diamond members, so it's not perfect.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Beckles
I appreciate the non-stop flights at convenient times, not the private plane my wife thinks we should charter, but not a huge step down from it either.
Huh?
What kind of private plane would you be flying that Delta would not be a huge step down?

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 10, 2015 at 1:30 pm
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Huh?
What kind of private plane would not be a huge step down from a Delta flight??
Delta gets a lot of guff, much of it for good reason, but the reality is that first class in a CRJ-900 provides a roomy cabin, large and comfortable seats, relatively large luggage capacity, relatively roomy lavatories, and a high-level of service relative to the private plane needed to haul a family of four from MCI to MCO (my wife certainly has researched it!) ... of course you could opt for a larger private plane to erase those short-comings, but then the cost difference becomes even more dramatic.

I was disappointed that this flight was 'down-graded' (in my opinion) from an EMB-175 to a CRJ-900 a few weeks ago.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Delta gets a lot of guff, much of it for good reason, but the reality is that first class in a CRJ-900 provides a roomy cabin, large and comfortable seats, relatively large luggage capacity, relatively roomy lavatories, and a high-level of service relative to the private plane needed to haul a family of four from MCI to MCO (my wife certainly has researched it!) ... of course you could opt for a larger private plane to erase those short-comings, but then the cost difference becomes even more dramatic.
Dunno. I paid all of $8 for our 850XP to LA last week.

Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Dunno. I paid all of $8 for our 850XP to LA last week.
Well, I certainly can't count on finding empty legs for my vacation ... and let's see, I could charter a plane through them ... for just $25,000 round-trip.

To bring this back on topic, the point of my post was that for some folks, like me, I find the FCM trend with Delta to be a good thing ... I like being able to secure first-class seats for my family at a reasonable cost and it makes for a very comfortable way for us to get to our vacation in this case quickly. The only thing more convenient than non-stop flights in first class (even on a Delta CRJ-900) is a private plane ... and if you factor in cost, FCM makes Delta a downright bargain.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
...The only thing more convenient than non-stop flights in first class (even on a Delta CRJ-900) is a private plane ... and if you factor in cost, FCM makes Delta a downright bargain.
This is a statement to which I can agree. ^
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)

still amazes me that people actually think the DL product in F is worth $150-200 dollars, especially Medallion members who already get most benefits.

And I really like how annoyed you are I.get to board with you as a DM.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Never though I would do a $129 buy up on MSP to BWI. I have a flight booked tomorrow and Delta is telling me I have to fly standby for an earlier flight to DCA or pay a $200 change fee plus the fare class difference to be confirmed

I saw the $129 buy up when checking in so decided to do it and then called the diamond line and got confirmed on the DCA flight I wanted on.

Not a fan at all of FCM but it helps a lot in these situations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.