Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
I've upgraded two domestic flights this year (via the FCM Link on the My Reservation page) and both gave me the bonus MQM and also extra RDM because of the higher cost @:-)
wow, OK... Thanks. Might be worth it then, for the extra MQM.

@SFO777, that's a great deal you got Mind sharing the travel dates?

Even more great F fares...JFK to MSY for $398.00. Coach is $196.00 which is also pretty decent.

Last edited by DL2SXM; Feb 15, 2015 at 8:01 pm
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jn in ca
I agree with you, but... how many of these super cheap upgrades are really being offered? Do we have any numbers? I know people come to FT and post this stuff, but personally, I've never been offered an FC upgrade for <$200.
My personal data points:

- RDU-ATL-EWR-DTW-RDU on an X Fare ($209). FCM was $170 for the entire itinerary
- RDU-DTW-JFK-RDU on a U/X Fare ($289). FCM was $89 for the entire itinerary

I took both.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
My personal data points:

- RDU-ATL-EWR-DTW-RDU on an X Fare ($209). FCM was $170 for the entire itinerary
- RDU-DTW-JFK-RDU on a U/X Fare ($289). FCM was $89 for the entire itinerary.
so the math comes out to $378-$379 ... what have you found the going rate to book G/A directly? (presumably you're traveling on business so you can only be reimbursed for the nominal coach fare, and you're ponying up out of your own pocket for the UG)
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
@SFO777, that's a great deal you got Mind sharing the travel dates?
March 24.
The non-stops were $309, but JFK-DTW-DEN and JFK-MSP-DEN were both $259.
Would have taken a nonstop but there are no flights between 8AM and 5PM.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
My personal data points:

- RDU-DTW-JFK-RDU on a U/X Fare ($289). FCM was $89 for the entire itinerary

I took both.
Despite "big data" I only ever get offers I would never take, like PHF-ATL-HOU and return FCM of $453. Given that PHF-ATL is a CRJ, you want me to pay more than double for a 90 minute flight? Someday they will recognize I am a cheapskate and only offer me $89 upgrades, but they aren't there yet.

I note for completeness that the value to me is also decreased by the probability I will get upgraded, which still runs around 40% for these shorter trips.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
so the math comes out to $378-$379 ... what have you found the going rate to book G/A directly? (presumably you're traveling on business so you can only be reimbursed for the nominal coach fare, and you're ponying up out of your own pocket for the UG)
Nope personal travel, might be a waste of money but I don't mind doing it. But as a mere Silver Medallion upgrades are rare and I'm way ahead with MQM (already at 25K) and need the spend. The $89 upgrade was $30 cheaper than what F was pricing at when I booked. The $170 one was the same as F would have been outright. I'd bought that one partially because there was supposed to be snow storms in NY that weekend and I thought being in paid F might help me.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
I have said it before, FCM is for FOs so they can feel like DMs. But for $400 I can get a couple of bottles of JW Blue so feel as important as you like, I am still sitting next to you and have more money in my pocket.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I have said it before, FCM is for FOs so they can feel like DMs. But for $400 I can get a couple of bottles of JW Blue so feel as important as you like, I am still sitting next to you and have more money in my pocket.
*Snort*. I don't need to feel like anything, I'm me and I'm happy being me. I don't think many FTers buy upgrades to feel important or to feel like DMs. While I can't speak for everyone, I certainly don't have status envy.

Last edited by CMK10; Feb 15, 2015 at 9:56 pm Reason: Being Less Snarky
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:41 am
Suspended

Is This a good deal?

is this a good deal? I bought a coach ticket a few months ago...

jfk to atl to cak then cak to atl to lga. Price of the ticket was $195.00.

I can upgrade it to F in My Trip Details for $255.00. I'm fairly confident I will get upgraded on all segments but wondering if its worth it for the extra MQM? Also, jfk to atl is on a flatbed 757. I know its a short flight but still helps out a little bit.

Its about an extra 1400 MQM's...

Last edited by DL2SXM; Feb 16, 2015 at 11:47 am
Old Feb 16, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)

well for $500 in fees I can pay my estimated taxes with my Amex Reserve and net 15K MQMS and hit the waiver so 1400 MQMs for $250 doesn't seem like a deal to me.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 1:04 pm

I don't think I'd pay more than the ticket cost to upgrade, especially if i had PM or DM status.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I don't think I'd pay more than the ticket cost to upgrade, especially if i had PM or DM status.
Upgrading (e.g.) JFK to SFO is worth the same amount to me whether I paid $100 or $1000 for the coach ticket. (It might depend on which coach seat I have, time of day, etc.; but the ticket is a sunk cost.)
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Upgrading (e.g.) JFK to SFO is worth the same amount to me whether I paid $100 or $1000 for the coach ticket. (It might depend on which coach seat I have, time of day, etc.; but the ticket is a sunk cost.)
I didn't say any ticket, I said the ticket that DL2SXM is referring to. JFK-CAK and r/t. Transcon is different.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
Agree.

Here the OP would be paying close to twenty cents per MQM, which is high but not totally high compared to purchasing a new FC/BE cheap ticket and flying it to earn those MQMs. OP might need the MQDs too.

Note that the flat bed 757 only has 16 FC/BE seats, which isn't a good ratio for upgrades.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:00 pm
Suspended

I didn't say any ticket, I said the ticket that DL2SXM is referring to. JFK-CAK and r/t. Transcon is different.
I am considering it from a MQM standpoint. $255.00 is not worth an extra 1400 MQM's for NYC to CAK. If it drops below $199.00, then I will probably spring for it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.