Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
What is the FARE CLASS associated with the F fare? Do not simply look at the price.

These "cheap" F fares are heavily restricted and are non-refundable, which is why they are less expensive.
Fare class doesn't really mean anything. Y fares are more likely to be refundable than, say, K fares, but there are Y fares that aren't refundable and K fares that are. Need to look at the details in the fare rules.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
I sympathize. I've found the search function here just about useless.
It's tricky. Use FCM* to get around the min length restriction.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: DL, SPG
What is the FARE CLASS associated with the F fare? Do not simply look at the price.

These "cheap" F fares are heavily restricted and are non-refundable, which is why they are less expensive.
While you are correct about the restrictions - not the reason this happened and not the actual intent. You'll notice if you check CLTCMH now, this fare is gone. None of the flight have F at same/less price.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I've noticed very fair markups on First Class seats recently... Economy may be $300, for example, with First class at $450 round trip (I saw this pricing for a LGA-DEN flight). At this point it may make sense to start purchasing F outright, especially as an FO.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:59 am

Of course it's a restricted fare. Really though, is that the 'reason' for this? Are you saying it makes sense for Delta to sell non-refundable F fares for the same (or even few hundred dollars less) than their Economy fare? I mean these are ~$200 tickets anyway, not In'tl travels.

.....F class ticket Fare Code was "G"

Your standard non-refundable/non-cancelable with the cherry top: change fees of more than the ticket value applies.

CHANGES/REFUNDS CHANGE-150.00 USD
CANCEL-NON REF
FOR ALL CONDITIONS SEE TEXT RULE

Finally, the Economy code was "U", which seems to have similar rules. So what's the logic now?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Would love see some (future) examples of this-dates and city pairs....
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: DL, SPG
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Of course it's a restricted fare. Really though, is that the 'reason' for this? Are you saying it makes sense for Delta to sell non-refundable F fares for the same (or even few hundred dollars less) than their Economy fare? I mean these are ~$200 tickets anyway, not In'tl travels.

.....F class ticket Fare Code was "G"

Your standard non-refundable/non-cancelable with the cherry top: change fees of more than the ticket value applies.

CHANGES/REFUNDS CHANGE-150.00 USD
CANCEL-NON REF
FOR ALL CONDITIONS SEE TEXT RULE

Finally, the Economy code was "U", which seems to have similar rules. So what's the logic now?
Right - it makes zero sense for DL to sell Y less than F. You can make as many absurd theories up but in the end they are just wrong.

Originally Posted by twoner32
That fare the OP got is literally gone - look at ITA and you won't find that G selling less than any Y fare.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adelphos
At this point it may make sense to start purchasing F outright, especially as an FO...

..and smirk to the Diamonds at the back of the bus as you glide past them into your cozy F seat
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
example

Originally Posted by twoner32
Here is an example.... I can find these all the time starting around 10 days out....

Old Apr 11, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
..and smirk to the Diamonds at the back of the bus as you glide past them into your cozy F seat
Diamonds are high rollers, they should be able to afford the extra $150 RT for these trips

For my business trips, I still need to primarily book in coach for many segments, but for personal, I will me looking over to the F column more often. No reason not to
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:34 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Its happening more and more with all Airlines, including AA and UA, they are starting to learn that Discounted First Fares produce more revenue than Upgraded Coach. Something I believe they learned from US Airways.

Would anybody really pay over $1000 Business Class on a Regional Jet for a 70 minute flight from NYC to YYZ..thats what it was only a year ago. Now $400 is the norm.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
As I mentioned in another post, I recently just changed a ticket from coach to F for $84--also into CMH....I wonder whats going on with that market in particular? Mine was not cheaper, but for $84, I was happy to have F confirmed, this was CMH to LAX!
I think CMH-LAX is fairly empty a lot of the time...
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Diamonds are high rollers, they should be able to afford the extra $150 RT for these trips.
They are frequent flyers, who may in fact be forced by business circumstances to buy a coach ticket only.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Is it not possible for people in these situations to buy the coach ticket and then right away buy up to F with their own credit card? Do they have to turn in boarding passes with an expense report?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Is it not possible for people in these situations to buy the coach ticket and then right away buy up to F with their own credit card? Do they have to turn in boarding passes with an expense report?
We have to book through the company system.

You can choose an F fare, but there will be explaining to do and accounting is a pita. Reimbursement is slow as it is. Add a 'questionable' choice and the delay stretches.

Funny thing is a more expensive Y fare is very likely to be far easier approved.

Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.