Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RIP CVG

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Nobody wants to take a short red-eye like PHX-CVG. These flights are ideally timed for locals.

Plus why can't CVG support a CVG-PHX flight on O&D alone? PIT -PHX supports 3 nonstop flights per day on other airlines with strictly O&D.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Delta seems quite committed to CVG all of a sudden.

https://news.delta.com/delta-continu...thern-kentucky
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: DL-PM
Originally Posted by pgh234
Nobody wants to take a short red-eye like PHX-CVG. These flights are ideally timed for locals.

Plus why can't CVG support a CVG-PHX flight on O&D alone? PIT -PHX supports 3 nonstop flights per day on other airlines with strictly O&D.
PHX-ATL is 18 miles further and is a very popular redeye, PHX-DTW 100 miles longer, and part of the year DL runs PHX-MSP as a redeye which is quite a bit shorter, so I don't think DL is concerned with having short redeyes out of PHX.

Additionally, in the past PHX-CVG has run as a redeye, though I believe that was when they ran 2x daily. This time around they will likely need some connection opportunities as they no longer have the luxury of being the monopoly carrier on the route... Frontier, Allegiant, and Southwest (seasonally) are now on it as well.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I won't be impressed until I see regular mainline flights to/from PHL (the 5th largest US city, BTW).
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I won't be impressed until I see regular mainline flights to/from PHL (the 5th largest US city, BTW).
I’d be fine with a CRJ7.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by WWads
Delta seems quite committed to CVG all of a sudden.

https://news.delta.com/delta-continu...thern-kentucky
Maybe they realized CVG makes a good reliever hub from ATL, and they want to re-shift more connections to CVG to help ease the congestion in ATL?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Maybe they realized CVG makes a good reliever hub from ATL, and they want to re-shift more connections to CVG to help ease the congestion in ATL?
82 flights a day, with many flight being flown on regional jet's, is not going to provide any meaningful relief to the 1000 flights/day, primarily mainline ATL hub. As already noted, the PHX flights don't even provide any connecting opportunities due to the timing. If/when DL shifts 100+ daily mainline flights from ATL to CVG, one can start to talk seriously about it being a "reliever".
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pgh234

Keep in mind that Frontier and Allegiant also operate CVG-PHX. Do you really think Delta can fill a daily 738 with no connections? I really want the flight to work. But if it's a 738 then it needs to be times for connections at CVG. Otherwise an E175 would be more appropriate for just local demand. November is a long way away and Delta usually plays with the schedule during that time.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
A friggin Men!! Living in Dayton, I am really happy with the various new direct flights out of CVG and Don't mind the drive to save the connection. I am in PHL 1-2x a month and actually will fly out of DAY and connect rather than take the 200 out of CVG. Yes, this is a first world problem and I am a bit of a diva, but i cant stand the 200.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ryno1234
A friggin Men!! Living in Dayton, I am really happy with the various new direct flights out of CVG and Don't mind the drive to save the connection. I am in PHL 1-2x a month and actually will fly out of DAY and connect rather than take the 200 out of CVG. Yes, this is a first world problem and I am a bit of a diva, but i cant stand the 200.
I'm the opposite, I'll take a CRJ-200 through CVG to avoid ATL. The conditions at ATL are reaching the inhumane level.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

I'm the opposite, I'll take a CRJ-200 through CVG to avoid ATL. The conditions at ATL are reaching the inhumane level.
In the past I've loved ATL but I'm beginning to agree. The last four or five times I've been through there, the airport just seems too full. Too bad ATL is the only DL option for a lot of Southern airports.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
82 flights a day, with many flight being flown on regional jet's, is not going to provide any meaningful relief to the 1000 flights/day, primarily mainline ATL hub. As already noted, the PHX flights don't even provide any connecting opportunities due to the timing. If/when DL shifts 100+ daily mainline flights from ATL to CVG, one can start to talk seriously about it being a "reliever".
Yes. This handful of new flights is entirely about demand at CVG. It's ridiculous to think that it has anything at all to do with Atlanta. DL already has more hubs than any other airline in the world (I think!)
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Yes. This handful of new flights is entirely about demand at CVG. It's ridiculous to think that it has anything at all to do with Atlanta. DL already has more hubs than any other airline in the world (I think!)
If you include CVG and BOS, and leave out NRT, AMS, and CDG, they're tied with AA at 10.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WWads
In the past I've loved ATL but I'm beginning to agree. The last four or five times I've been through there, the airport just seems too full. Too bad ATL is the only DL option for a lot of Southern airports.
Yes, I remember a time when you could actually find a quiet corner or gate to sit and relax. On my last trip through ATL it was shoulder to shoulder walking down Concourse B and some lady with spikes on her purse brushed against me and ripped my jacket. The recent words of our president come to mind when describing ATL..
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'm flying LGA-CVG-SLC today and am a little excited to get to connect via CVG. I never get CVG connection options and it brings me back to the 80s/90s when CVG was a much larger hub.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Feb 16, 2018 at 10:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.