FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   You might be a Kettle with Medallion Status if (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1229144-you-might-kettle-medallion-status-if.html)

jamesteroh Jun 23, 2011 7:37 am

Originally Posted by DHG(Th) (Post 16611396)
Does it apply if the FA ASKS if you want another PDB? Is it kettlish to say sure?

I don't think it is at all. I also don't think it's kettlish to ask the FA for a PDB, especially if it appears they aren't going to do a service and are up front in the galley talking with other crew members. THere are times I pay for a FC ticket and I think I deserve good service. If people are up front due to an upgrade, delta is making a lot of money off them on their frequent flying.

mrredskin Jun 23, 2011 7:41 am

Originally Posted by DaveNC (Post 16610299)
So I can't bring fast food into FC and I can't look forward to the meal service in FC, or else I'm a Kettle? That's funny.

exactly what i was thinking. so, basically, if you like to eat a meal, you're a kettle.

if i knew i would be sitting next to OP, i would make sure to eat a sackful of Krystal burgers at 3am that morning after spending 3-4 hours at the Cheetah before my 9am flight - without a shower. you smell what i'm cookin', here?

DHG(Th) Jun 23, 2011 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 16611517)
I love it! FT will be a buzz trying to figure out who it is, bashing them daily, and secretly wanting to be that Kettle! Oh the irony!

:D:D

I'm ordering new "hat stock" as I type and will see my local embroidering lady. First one to acknowledge the new hat in an airport, I'll by the drinks at the SC. ^

Phil2016 Jun 23, 2011 7:56 am

Apparently, by some of these standards, I too am a "kettle." And I'm OK with that.

But, what are you called if you spend your free time generating a list that underhandedly says your travel methods/standards are superior to others; something that seems to happen repeatedly in this forum? Maybe "PMDL Medallion?" <ducking for cover> ;)

pdac1975 Jun 23, 2011 8:01 am

Originally Posted by PepeBorja (Post 16609736)
You might be a Kettle with Medallion Status if...

If you have gifted status

If you don't tip at the Skyclub

If after 500K miles there are no GAs or SkyClub people that recognize you

If you look forward to the meal service in FC

If you use the call button to get the FA

If you have to stow your rollerbag sideways

If you think the wine selection is pretty good

If you "hang out" with the FAs by the galley

If you dont shut off your electronics when asked to do so

If you watch Morning Joe

If you look forward to using the AVOD system

If you ask for a second PDB

If you are in FC and stow your jacket/coat on the bin

If you think the MD-XXs are great

If you reach for your phone upon landing and make a call saying "I just landed"

If you use your cell phone and make "deals" loudly while sipping on a PBD

If you wear flip flops in FC

If you "poop" in the A/C WC

If you bring a newspaper with you to go "poop" in the A/C WC

If you have never bought a gogo pass

If you think it is cool to get 500 skypesos for flying in a middle seat

If you flatulate in the airplane and think nothing of it

If your music selection in your playa' includes Lady Gaga

If you don't know what a job well done certificate is

These are very good. :p I especially like the one about hanging out with the FA's in the Galley. I love watching the faces of the FAs when a guy does this. They look so pained but they have to be polite. Doe's Mr's Salesman really think FA's are impressed by how much a guy flys (which inevitably seems to be the topic of conversation)? Really?

DHG(Th) Jun 23, 2011 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 16611397)
Come clean and take the first step to recovery!

Originally Posted by DaveNC (Post 16611684)
I'll come clean:
  1. I bring food to FC if I have short connection and there's no meal service.
  2. I look forward to the meals in FC, because unlike the DMs, I can't subsist on the crushed souls of the FOs on board.
  3. I like the MD-88s for my 1-hour flights to ATL because the exit row is freakin' huge.

I'll get a t-shirt made ("Platinum Kettle") so y'all won't be surprised by my low-class behavior.

My name is DHG and I might be a kettle....

If you have gifted status: Given it but never received it.

If you look forward to the meal service in FC

If you think the wine selection is pretty good: Any free wine is a good :D

If you "hang out" with the FAs by the galley: Only while waiting on the lav but never with my newspaper or other library materials

If you think the MD-XXs are great ^

If you reach for your phone upon landing and make a call saying "I just landed": Does texting count? :confused:

If you flatulate in the airplane and think nothing of it Can't be accused of giving but I have received, esp during boarding....ugh :mad:

Seabilly Jun 23, 2011 8:25 am

Originally Posted by PepeBorja (Post 16609736)
You might be a Kettle with Medallion Status if...

If your music selection in your playa' includes Lady Gaga

That was close, almost didn't make the Kettle cut off. Luckily mixed in with my music by Mumford/Sons, Buffett, Strait, Prine, Beatles, Mraz, and a bunch of indy music by songwriting friends is Ms Gaga.

Knowing it puts me in this exclusive club, I'll now be forced to turn my music up so that those around me will be able to hear my mama monster tunes and know my Kettleness without having to buy special bag tags :)

DHG(Th) Jun 23, 2011 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Seabilly (Post 16612119)
Knowing it puts me in this exclusive club......and know my Kettleness without having to buy special bag tags :)

My goodness, has a new term been spawned, Kettleness ????

trlaura Jun 23, 2011 8:57 am

So what does sitting in FC have to do with bringing food on the plane to eat?
If you just made a tight connection and haven't eaten all day, and then have to do another 2.5 hour leg with no meal service, I see no issue with grabbing a quick sandwich and bringing it on board. This thread reeks of FTS's

Crazyhotelguy Jun 23, 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by pdac1975 (Post 16611967)
These are very good. :p I especially like the one about hanging out with the FA's in the Galley. I love watching the faces of the FAs when a guy does this. They look so pained but they have to be polite. Doe's Mr's Salesman really think FA's are impressed by how much a guy flys (which inevitably seems to be the topic of conversation)? Really?

^. some guys just think that they are charmers... Ususually this causes a lack of cabin service as my drink sits empty...

Crazyhotelguy Jun 23, 2011 9:03 am

If you. Think the galley is your home pantry....,

Crazyhotelguy Jun 23, 2011 9:06 am

Originally Posted by DHG(Th) (Post 16611919)
I'm ordering new "hat stock" as I type and will see my local embroidering lady. First one to acknowledge the new hat in an airport, I'll by the drinks at the SC. ^

Would that be the new premium drinks or the well variety?:)

Bicostal Jun 23, 2011 9:06 am

Originally Posted by trlaura (Post 16612299)
If you just made a tight connection and haven't eaten all day, and then have to do another 2.5 hour leg with no meal service, I see no issue with grabbing a quick sandwich and bringing it on board. This thread reeks of FTS's

Bringing food onboard a flight catered for an FC meal and being seated in first, especially if the food brought on board is nondescript airport food (the infamous slice of pizza, big mac, or the saran wrapped ham and cheese) suggests that the upgrade was unexpected (FO?) or the experience of FC insufficient (kettle). Hence, the supposition of Kettle medallion status. This is especially obvious on the BE transcons (saw it last week).

Crazyhotelguy Jun 23, 2011 9:09 am

Originally Posted by trlaura (Post 16612299)

That is not cabin specific. Think about the guy who just spun through Manchu Wok, On The Border, Popeyes, and Sbarro to feed the family. Such lovely and inviting aromas you will now enjoy for the next 2.5 hours....

This is not Kettle medallion specific.

BICOSTAL's response is correct.

mfong Jun 23, 2011 9:12 am

I may not have ridden on many MD 90s, but I love them. I don't care what you guys say =)

I would ride that for 3 hours than a NW metal Boeing 757s (Pacific and Domestic). I was on an MD 90 from MSP - BOS yesterday and it was great. The seats aren't too firm that it makes your butt hurt, like the Airbus A319s or A320s they're too firm and after awhile I start to get aches especially on my left butt cheek. And also, I'm a pretty big guy and I feel so squished when I sit in a 757 and the CRJ's because the seat belt is a little smaller than the MD 90s and the Airbus'. The seat belts on the MD 90s make me feel skinny again =), there's at least 6-8 inches of seat belt left for me =)