FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   You might be a Kettle with Medallion Status if (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1229144-you-might-kettle-medallion-status-if.html)

mfong Jun 22, 2011 3:39 pm

I understand what a "kettle" is, but why are they called kettles?

I always show up 5 minutes before boarding, but I always stand way way in the back until my zone is called. Today when I ran late, there were about 5-8 people left who were boarding, I said to myself "I could be a brat and just stand in the SP line", but I just stood right behind the last pack.

I also laugh when I see the plastic tags, because I try my very best to be as modest as possible. I just give my tags to my kids and they wear them on their luggage when they travel =D They are 9k miles from FO status, I told them that if I can find 2 good MRs to the West Coast, we're doing it because it would be neat to see 2 tweens with FO status =D

Crazyhotelguy Jun 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by mfong (Post 16608606)
I understand what a "kettle" is, but why are they called kettles?

I always show up 5 minutes before boarding, but I always stand way way in the back until my zone is called. Today when I ran late, there were about 5-8 people left who were boarding, I said to myself "I could be a brat and just stand in the SP line", but I just stood right behind the last pack.

I also laugh when I see the plastic tags, because I try my very best to be as modest as possible. I just give my tags to my kids and they wear them on their luggage when they travel =D They are 9k miles from FO status, I told them that if I can find 2 good MRs to the West Coast, we're doing it because it would be neat to see 2 tweens with FO status =D

Using the SP line does not make you a brat...

Passing others in the SP line does!:)

Lefleur Jun 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by PepeBorja (Post 16608198)

If you are in first class and bring fast food on board then you might be a Kettle with Medallion Status.

I don't think I'm a kettle, and I have Medallion status, but I totally do this, even when my upgrade cleared at the first window, when I can get ChikFilA in Atlanta (YUM).

CMK10 Jun 22, 2011 3:43 pm

- You still refer to it as the "Breezeway Lane".

- You're angry you missed the upgrade on the 8 AM weekday ATL-RDU flight

- You ask for a ticket jacket at check in.

Vuelos Jun 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 16608625)
Using the SP line does not make you a brat...

Passing others in the SP line does!:)

Brat is a much nicer word than what I call those who do that... (hint it sounds similar)

localady Jun 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by dickinson (Post 16608517)
Short for Ma, Pa and all the little Kettles. Used to describe inexperienced, infrequent travelers and their antics. Named after some old movies about the misadventures of some rather unsophisticated folks. I'm sure Wikipedia has an entry for Ma and Pa Kettle.

Man.. I'd always heard the term, but never knew where it came from. Thanks for the explanation.

bwhite Jun 22, 2011 3:51 pm

If you have ever said "I'll never fly this $#^%*^# airline again!" to a GA...

Originally Posted by mfong (Post 16608606)
...it would be neat to see 2 tweens with FO status =D

Mine got it and once they got the taste of a free UG they were impossible...

BondAir007 Jun 22, 2011 3:55 pm

Rumor is that DL will offer Kettle Medallion which will be above Diamond status. ;)

Bicostal Jun 22, 2011 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Vuelos (Post 16608654)
Brat is a much nicer word than what I call those who do that... (hint it sounds similar)

OK Vuelos - here's the drill. The GA announces FC boarding. Three people at the head of the SP line board - a throng of 10 people just stand there waiting for Zone 1 to be called. I have seat 1A and it ain't a CRJ200. You want me to wait?:confused:

BeachBum770 Jun 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Vuelos (Post 16608654)

Originally Posted by Bicostal (Post 16608706)
OK Vuelos - here's the drill. The GA announces FC boarding. Three people at the head of the SP line board - a throng of 10 people just stand there waiting for Zone 1 to be called. I have seat 1A and it ain't a CRJ200. You want me to wait?:confused:

I think the poster is referring to those in the same zone, be it FC of Z1 who feel they are more important than those in the same zone and push their way to the front of the line.

I actually had a Non-Rev and his sons do this to me recently. FC was called, we lined up and then the GA put us on hold for a couple of minutes. This guy comes crashing through the line to get to the front saying he is in FC. When I told him they weren't boarding yet, he gives me this look, makes a rude comment and then gripes because his teenage sons are 4 people behind him in line (and they are sitting in the back of the bus).:mad: Really chapped my cheeks, so to speak.

dickinson Jun 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Wouldn't it be great to have a shirt and hat with the word "Kettle" embroidered on them? Maybe a future offering of FlyerTalk Marketplace?

Bicostal Jun 22, 2011 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by dickinson (Post 16608798)
Wouldn't it be great to have a shirt and hat with the word "Kettle" embroidered on them? Maybe a future offering of FlyerTalk Marketplace?

"Diamond Kettle" to go along with the Hat!

RobH Jun 22, 2011 4:31 pm

you should ask for ticket jackets

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 16608638)
- You ask for a ticket jacket at check in.

when I don't print my boarding pass from home I always ask for a ticket jacket. I know they don't have any, but I ask anyway. If everyone asks maybe they will bring these back. I like them, they are convenient for keeping all my travel paperwork together.

United still has them, Delta should follow suit.

Vuelos Jun 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by BeachBum770 (Post 16608740)
I think the poster is referring to those in the same zone, be it FC of Z1 who feel they are more important than those in the same zone and push their way to the front of the line.

Sounds like you have flown with Bicostal

Crazyhotelguy Jun 22, 2011 5:19 pm

If I were in 1A, I would be herder for the day. (that's what I call the one who starts the SP lineup for position)

That is one of the nicer names I use....:)