Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

You might be a Kettle with Medallion Status if

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
How about drinking Fresca and vodka? (GUILTY of that here).
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer

you hang by the gate waiting to board last and hoping to score an UG

you wear shorts, tube socks, and sandals in FC

you need a sealt belt extender and bring fast food on board

you bring a Sodoku book into FC

you fall asleep and snore like a hog in FC

you are over 30 and wear t-shirts with "hip" messages in FC

you own 1 rollerbag, it is green, it is old, and looks like hell

you have one of them doughnut pillows on top of your rollerbag

you watch R rated films on your laptop for all to see

you wear a Columbia fleece vest

you bring a half empty bottle of soda on board

you ask for seconds on your FC meal

you think Delta should add more MD-XXs

your upgrade success rate is below 50%

you tip the FAs upon deplaning

and one of my favorites....

You might be a Kettle with Medallion status if you board in FC wearing a wife beater, cargo shorts at half-mast, a cap worn sideways, and boots.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
Keeping with the intent of the thread, You might be a Kettle with Medallion Status if:

3. You think that the only phone number for Delta is 1-800-221-1212.

What if you know there are other numbers but just can't remember them?

I've dialed that damn number so many times over the past 20 years (most of which I was definitely a kettle) that it is burned into my eyelids.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: DL: PM/2MM; MHG; HH;
Originally Posted by PepeBorja

you have one of them doughnut pillows on top of your rollerbag

you think Delta should add more MD-XXs

and one of my favorites....

You might be a Kettle with Medallion status if you board in FC wearing a wife beater, cargo shorts at half-mast, a cap worn sideways, and boots.
MD-XXs: Guilty But I'll take MD-XX's any day over CRJ1's, 2's and 7's w/o FC

Seen the sideways cap and boots before. Must have been a travel displaced kettle who got put on after many lengthy trip delays.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DaveNC
What if you know there are other numbers but just can't remember them?

I've dialed that damn number so many times over the past 20 years (most of which I was definitely a kettle) that it is burned into my eyelids.
Well I have the medallian number, as well as the hilton diamond desk in my contacts in my phone since I can nenver remember them.

But don't feel bad, before I programed them in my contacts in my phone, I was dialing 1-800-225-2525 (old NWA number). And when I dialed it a few months ago it still worked.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
You were UG'd and avoid ordering an alcoholic drink because you don't know they are free...

You ask "what kind of beer do you have?"...

You try to specify the variety of wine rather than simply saying "white" or "red" in domestic F ...

You ask the majority of the FC cabin to change seats so that your BF UP'd family can sit together for a 1 hour flight...
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:48 am

Programs: NW-PE (ret.) DL-Diamond & 1M, Hertz #1, UA-1P
Originally Posted by bubbashow
IT IS?!?!?! If you came to my house or office and put your feet up on my wall (no matter how nice the shoes), I'd be pi$$ed. I think that is the tackiest behavior regularly shown in F. The way I was raised, feet don't belong on walls. Period.
+1
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by dickinson
If you ask where to line up for Early Bird seating, you might be a Kettle with Medallion status.
HAHAHA, that was great!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by bwhite
You were UG'd and avoid ordering an alcoholic drink because you don't know they are free...

You ask "what kind of beer do you have?"...

You try to specify the variety of wine rather than simply saying "white" or "red" in domestic F ...

You ask the majority of the FC cabin to change seats so that your BF UP'd family can sit together for a 1 hour flight...
^

If you let your kids treat the SC like the home playroom.

If you think that other pax in FC and at the SC should be thrilled to help watch your unattended children.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
This deserves a thread of its own.....

If you call the FA a stewardess........

This one just makes me cringe every time I here it..
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:39 am

--Display Airtran Elite bag tags. Nice metallic kettle look
--Think a Flying Colonel is a 3-piece box from KFC. OK, that one is a trip down memory lane.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:56 am

Even though I'm not a DL flyer, this thread encouraged me to find a new name for my United 1K status...1Kettle.

I'm getting 1Kettle luggage tags.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
You might be a DYKWIA (Diamond Yes Kettle With Immense Attitude) if:

Complained 2 anybody around you that you were 45th out of 63 on the upgrade list because you bought a T fare and that you should been upgraded.

You board before FC as part of early "Special Boarding" (e.g. those needing extra time) as you sprint in an agile manner through the crowds, cutting off the elderly, stepping over small children so you can put your two roller boards plus two other bags in the overhead bin above your exit row middle seat.

Your laptop is still powered on and you have not even begun to save your work as the plane cross the threshold at the end of the runway seconds before touchdown. Even worse is when you look out the window knowing where you are and sitting in a bulkhead or exit row. Even worse (or better) when you have your companies logo all over your material and screen so that everybody else can see who you are.

If you empty the entire contents of the snack basket into one of your carry on bags leaving nothing for the others around you to at least look at.

After using the WC you dont flush toilet.

You spill your drink or beverage on to your neighbors seat and dont tell anyone and look out the window when your seat mate returns, sits down and looks surprised.

Your iPad, blackberry, 17" monitor for your laptop, USB wireless mouse, plus pocket calculator along with all of your folders and reciepts spill over from your tray table across the middle (if in FC) on to your seat mates table plus you tell your neighbor to move their items to make more room for you.

While boarding you try to push me aside while I wait for elderly, parents with infants or others who truly need extra time boarding while you are making a dash to 27E and talking very loudly on your bluetooth device.

During flight, your sales projections that you are talking to someone via skype elsewhere are so loud that the pilot makes a PA for you to quiet down so that they can hear the engines. This also applies to while on the ground and they need to hear if the APU or ground power is functioning.

Air traffic control calls the cockpit to tell the crew to tell the person in 2C to tone their cell phone conversation down as they can hear it from the tower (and not via radio waves) plus a reminder that you are on an active taxi way.

For a one hour flight you rotate all four members of your traveling party so that each gets about 15 minutes in seat 1A.

While pulling up to the gate you have roller boards out of the bin ready to race from 27B in a 757-300 as it is a full flight and you want to be moving before the chime/bell rings signaliing that it is ok to move. After all, you want to get to "The Clubd" before the other DYKWIAs on the flight.

The two back packs over your shoulder bounce off of everyone in an asile seat as you try to talk on your phone, hold an over sized cup of coffee plus pull that "kettle sized" trunk with wheels to your seat in the back of the plane.

In the gate area or in "The Club" you have at least one if not two seats on either side of you blocked off with your extra carry on bags and stuff so that nobody intrudes on your space.

If you complain about all of the other elites who got their status with a combination of flying and Amex Delta Reserve cards yet you only have a fraction of the total flights flown during lifetime compared to them.

Use the seatback in front of you to pull back and catapult the person in front of you forward everytime you get up or return to your seat.

You smile at me and I respond with a "nice tooth" comment.....

-H
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL DM & 2MM
You jump up as soon as or before the seat belt sign is turned off after reaching the gate so you're off the plane as quickly as possible only to walk at a snails pace up the jetway upon deplaning! ATL-PBI on 7/15 6:35pm departure (you know who you are).
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton, Hertz
Kettle Def

Originally Posted by nytraveller53
Forgive me for my newbie question, but what is a "kettle"?
Hello nytraveller a 'kettle' refers to 'Ma and Pa Kettle' i.e. people who are backwoodsy (yeah I know its not a word) and don't travel a lot. I checked in at wikipedia, and the deets are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pa_Kettle

Not terribly flattering is it? But let's face it we've all seen Kettles on flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.