Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL 68 ATL to CPH Diverted to Empty Lavatories 6/11

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL 68 ATL to CPH Diverted to Empty Lavatories 6/11

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 3:42 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
It looks like they were part way out over the ocean, and turned around. - Maybe around 400 miles out!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...215Z/KATL/EKCH
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
It looks like they were part way out over the ocean, and turned around. - Maybe around 400 miles out!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...215Z/KATL/EKCH
When ya gotta not go, ya gotta not go.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Pretty crappy reason to divert the plane...
Old Jun 20, 2011, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Pretty crappy reason to divert the plane...
I see what you did there...
Old Jun 20, 2011, 7:49 pm

This is really starting to HEAD in the wrong direction.
I mean, its really starting to commode, er corrode, into something not so nice.
Maybe we should just CAN the thread?
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:13 pm

The "story" is true. I was on flight 68 in BE and had extensive conversations with the purser regarding the lavatory situation. The delay caused me to miss my SAS flight to Stockholm and as a result, the need to purchase a new ticket at the walk up rate. I finally sent my email to Delta today asking for an explanation (and compensation).
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA EP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by planestrainauto
The "story" is true. I was on flight 68 in BE and had extensive conversations with the purser regarding the lavatory situation. The delay caused me to miss my SAS flight to Stockholm and as a result, the need to purchase a new ticket at the walk up rate. I finally sent my email to Delta today asking for an explanation (and compensation).
My aunt has contacted Delta as well! She missed her Swiss Air flight and had to pay a walk up rate on SAS to get to her destination...needless to say, she was angry about the situation.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:42 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
To my knowledge, when you have separate tickets you are SOL. In many cases you can get to your destination cheaper, but that's a risk that you are taking: if the first flight has an issue you can end up with your onwards ticket voided. The airline operating the first flight is not responsible for getting you to your final destination. In fact, even if you are connecting to a flight on the same airline, if you have separate tickets you are SOL.

You should be able to invoke EU regulation for a delayed flight and get some cash compensation (or you can try to bargain with DL for delta dollars or skypesos), but you will most likely not get compensated for the walk-up fare for your onwards flight.

ETA: Since it was clearly a DL mishap and it was their fault (it wasn't the weather or some other objective reason), I think DL should proactively compensate all pax for the delay. Luckily there are EU regulations tho
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:58 am

[QUOTE=florin;16598164]To my knowledge, when you have separate tickets you are SOL. In many cases you can get to your destination cheaper, but that's a risk that you are taking: if the first flight has an issue you can end up with your onwards ticket voided. The airline operating the first flight is not responsible for getting you to your final destination. In fact, even if you are connecting to a flight on the same airline, if you have separate tickets you are SOL.

Correct. Actually, it wasn't an issue of being cheaper, just faster to my destination. My request for compensation does necessarily mean I am asking for cash in the amount of the expenditure. There are many forms of compensation.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:09 am

Don't think the EU regs apply on flights from the USA.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by allergictocoach
Don't think the EU regs apply on flights from the USA.
Yes they do. The EU 261 law applies to any flight to or from the EU.

Last edited by florin; Jun 21, 2011 at 9:55 am Reason: checked the laws and corrected myself in the next post
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:52 am

Actually, I was wrong. According to the actual text of this law, it does not apply to flights TO the EU if the carrier is not a EU carrier. So I guess in this case, if the carrier was Delta and it was flying to (not from) the EU, then the law does not apply.

1. This Regulation shall apply:

(a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies;

(b) to passengers departing from an airport located in a third country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies, unless they received benefits or compensation and were given assistance in that third country, if the operating air carrier of the flight concerned is a Community carrier.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by davetravels
I didn't know you were allowed to use 4 letter words on FT!!
You used two right there, and I used five here as well.

Anyway it's better than having an accident, both airplane crash and/or lavatory accident...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by florin
Actually, I was wrong. According to the actual text of this law, it does not apply to flights TO the EU if the carrier is not a EU carrier. So I guess in this case, if the carrier was Delta and it was flying to (not from) the EU, then the law does not apply.
Even if DL were an EU carrier, they still wouldn't have to pay any compensation. Compensation applies in the cases of cancellation or denied boarding. For delays such as this, EU 261 only provides a right to care, which is defined in Article 9. Even then, if the delay was only 3:59, rather than 4:00, they wouldn't even owe that. For delays greater than 5 hours, they could get a refund and transport back to their origin, but this delay doesn't eclipse 5 hours. Choosing to continue the journey would negate even the refund.

Article 6
Delay
1. When an operating air carrier reasonably expects a flight to be delayed beyond its scheduled time of departure:
(a) for two hours or more in the case of flights of 1500 kilometres or less; or
(b) for three hours or more in the case of all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres and of all other flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometres; or
(c) for four hours or more in the case of all flights not falling under (a) or (b),
passengers shall be offered by the operating air carrier:
(i) the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(a) and 9(2); and
(ii) when the reasonably expected time of departure is at least the day after the time of departure previously announced, the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(c); and
(iii) when the delay is at least five hours, the assistance specified in Article 8(1)(a).
2. In any event, the assistance shall be offered within the time limits set out above with respect to each distance bracket.

<snip>

Article 9
Right to care
1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered free of charge:
(a) meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time;
(b) hotel accommodation in cases
- where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, or
- where a stay additional to that intended by the passenger becomes necessary;
(c) transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).
2. In addition, passengers shall be offered free of charge two telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails.
3. In applying this Article, the operating air carrier shall pay particular attention to the needs of persons with reduced mobility and any persons accompanying them, as well as to the needs of unaccompanied children.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by florin
To my knowledge, when you have separate tickets you are SOL. In many cases you can get to your destination cheaper, but that's a risk that you are taking: if the first flight has an issue you can end up with your onwards ticket voided. The airline operating the first flight is not responsible for getting you to your final destination. In fact, even if you are connecting to a flight on the same airline, if you have separate tickets you are SOL.
It's not always a matter of cost-savings -- some places I fly in Europe are not served by Skyteam, so I am obliged to buy a separate ticket. Case in point, I was recently booked in BE from BGR-DTW-AMS-OSL, connecting to SK for OSL-TOS on a separate PNR. Due to irrops in DTW, I was rerouted via JFK and ARN and missed by SK flight. I fully expected to have to pay the walk-up fare for OSL-TOS, but the PM desk came through and actually called SK to rebook me (at no cost to me!) on a later flight. Not sure if they did this because I was on a BE ticket rather than coach, but it sure was nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.