Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Economy Comfort Experiences: Need your opinions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, LH Freq Traveller

I'm flying home from AMS->MSP on Tuesday and curious to hear your opinions on the newly added EC seating. The seating was implemented for this route after I arrived in Europe so I haven't seen it firsthand.

I searched through some other EC threads, but they quickly derail off topic with DYKWIAs complaining about the roll-out not going so smoothly, or other American-tinged self-entitled complaints. I'm looking for simple first-hand experiences about whether it was worth it or not. I'm a GM looking to spend the $30-40 on the upgrade for the flight home, but I am also wondering if it's going to be a burden. Some people are complaining that the recline in front of you creates an issue when trying to watch the AVOD, work on a laptop or play with the iPad.

Also another quick question: On Delta's EC landing page, they say it's only created for long-haul international flights, but it seems that some reports say there are domestic flights with this class too? Doesn't make sense.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Monoliths
... but it seems that some reports say there are domestic flights with this class too? Doesn't make sense.
These are the 752 BE transcon planes that sometimes do hops to Europe. Domestically they also handle JFK-SFO/LAX so there are cases where EC exists in a domestic situation, but is available as a regular priority seat at no extra charge. In this configuration, it's the first 4 rows of the ABC side.

My experience with EC is only in the bulkhead row, and the added recline was definitely welcome. I have also read about the AVOD/Laptop issues in previous threads, but haven't experienced that aspect firsthand. All said, I would definitely spring for EC given the chance. Especially if you can snag a bulkhead.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM
I get EC for free but my GM SO has to pay $40 for it (when on a separate PNR, that is, as she recently was). We thought it was worth it on DL 31 (SVO-JFK) recently (the first time I flew it as official EC, though I had flown it unofficially twice before the rollout). The extra space is great and the recline did not disturb the seatback entertainment (which is tiltable). That assumes your plane is equipped with seatback entertainment -- DL 30 on the way back was a typical 767-300 with only overhead screens, showing dreck at that. (So I watched films on my iPad instead, and was not bothered by the recline.)

What's not worth it is the free drinks. The FAs don't make any additional passes through the EC section offering additional drinks (heck, on DL 31 two days ago they didn't even return to offer coffee, tea or water... ).

At the end of the day every person values $40 differently, but if I had a choice between taking a cab from central Amsterdam to AMS, or riding the train and spending the money on EC, I'd pick the latter.

P.S. Another interesting data point is that since DL 30 was not full in back, the FAs were actively booting people out of EC that hadn't paid for it (and who declined the offer to pay for an upgrade to EC on the spot). One guy complained that he had gotten EC for free on his outbound flight, evidently because the back of the bus was full. But it seems that if regular Y is not full, they will actively guard interlopers. This means I had an empty seat next to me and another EC pax had a full row of three seats to himself.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eheinz
What's not worth it is the free drinks. The FAs don't make any additional passes through the EC section offering additional drinks (heck, on DL 31 two days ago they didn't even return to offer coffee, tea or water... ).
I read some complaints about that. I'm surprised people aren't more eager to hit the flight-attendant call button. I usually fall asleep on the runway (lucky me) and wake up hours later after the service. I ring that button and get whatever I need to drink.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by eheinz
P.S. Another interesting data point is that since DL 30 was not full in back, the FAs were actively booting people out of EC that hadn't paid for it (and who declined the offer to pay for an upgrade to EC on the spot). One guy complained that he had gotten EC for free on his outbound flight, evidently because the back of the bus was full. But it seems that if regular Y is not full, they will actively guard interlopers. This means I had an empty seat next to me and another EC pax had a full row of three seats to himself.
On my flight from JFK to CPH, Y was empty as well and the FAs were trying to figure out how to police the EC seats. They ended up letting people sit there, but not serving them the upgraded alcohol selections.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
If you are on the A333, go for row 10 if it's open - exit row/EC seat = recline and legroom. On the 763, Row 16 has tons of legroom - do a search - I posted pics.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
If you are on the A333, go for row 10 if it's open - exit row/EC seat = recline and legroom. On the 763, Row 16 has tons of legroom - do a search - I posted pics.
I'm traveling on the A330. All of row 10 is open so I am thinking of going for it. The only reason i question not to is because I actually like tucking my bag down by my feet so I can reach magazines, ipads, snacks and stuff.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jpmardini
On my flight from JFK to CPH, Y was empty as well and the FAs were trying to figure out how to police the EC seats. They ended up letting people sit there, but not serving them the upgraded alcohol selections.
If this becomes standard practice it will diminish the value of the product. If you give away something for nothing, you inevitably value it less. It is a different situation if all seats in Y are full.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Monoliths
I'm traveling on the A330. All of row 10 is open so I am thinking of going for it. The only reason i question not to is because I actually like tucking my bag down by my feet so I can reach magazines, ipads, snacks and stuff.
Once the seatbelt sign goes off, you can bring your stuff down from the overhead bin - I've never had an issue doing this and keeping it there until preparations for landing. I also sometimes use my backpack as a leg rest.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I paid the $120 upgrade fee (NRT-ATL as FO) and probably wouldn't do it again. The recline and legroom was nice, I didn't have a problem viewing my avod (and I heard no complaints from behind me, though my seat was reclined). I normally sleep ok in a standard coach seat when I have a window which is why I don't know if I would do it again. (I was not in the bulkhead - I was one back from bulkhead, row 32? In the 777)
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by rwoman
Just flew in row 10 on an A333 from ATL to BCN and back. 10 H has leg room for miles but the leg room in 10 J is blocked somewhat by the emergency slide there. If leg room is your concern, 10 H is the seat to book. Other benefits to this seat included being among the first on and the very first off (which is especially nice returning to the US and being first in line for customs), potentially being offered a pre-flight drink from the FAs (happened in both directions) and being very close to the Business Elite bathroom (which a LOT of people in economy used). But there are some drawbacks: you can't lift your arm rests like you can in some of the other rows. Also, the galley was pretty noisy.

As to whether the economy comfort is worth the price. I think it's probably worth the price in this seat (assuming the noise from the galley won't disturb you) because of the convenience of being near the front, having the extra leg room, and getting on and off quickly. But don't expect to be wowed. The extra recline didn't seem all that significant. And I was only offered two drinks the entire 9 hour flight, so FREE spirits was not a big issue.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, DL GM, SPG Gold
Just flew on a 777 from JNB to ATL...and definitely thought paying for EC was worth it. So did the other 4 people in my family.

I did only get one mixed drink...but I'm sure I could have gotten more.

I thought the extra leg room was great. The extra recline was ok. I had no problem watching AVOD in front of me.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, HH Diamond
Three benefits of EC:

1. More legroom. Not a lot but it makes a difference on long flights. I discovered some seats on the 767s have significant leg room so it pays to know which seats in EC are better than others.

2. The chance of an empty seat next to you. This will happen if the flight is partially full and the gate area isn't full of stand by non-revs.

3. Free cocktails - not really a benefit since its hard getting one. There is no enhanced level of service in EC. The cart comes by twice, one for drinks and the other for the meal. When it comes by for drinks, be sure to stock up because it will be difficult to get another drink until the carts have been put away and even then, you will have to venture to the back of plane and "annoy" the FAs.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold
I just flew 13 hours in EC from Seoul (ICN) to Detroit (DTW). Here are my thoughts:

1. Legroom is nice, especially for a bulky guy like me. Being in economy "non-comfort" is truly uncomfortable because the seat in front of me presses against my legs.

2. Recline is blah. It reclines just slightly more than a regular seat. This 50% more recline as advertised is a lot of bull crap.

3. Service is EXACTLY the same as other coach. You must ask for cocktails, and the FA's seem to give a bit of trouble for paying. They tried at first to get me to pay; I asked if EC meant anything and they said "oh, my bad, let me help you." Could have been the new service kicking in? Regardless, you are just another seat assignment in coach if you fly Delta.

Also, I think I've truly figured out why Delta started EC. There are several reasons. First, it is an extra source of revenue for gullible passengers who want all of those cool advertised benefits on the website, when in fact they are not worth the extra money.

However, I think that one of the biggest things Delta is telling their employees is to advertise EC as an alternative to Business for all of those passengers who try to get an upgrade. Despite my best efforts to get an upgrade, every time I asked someone I ALWAYS got "well, you could always get a super-comfy EC seat as an alternative." I also heard this at the airport as other passengers asked, and I talked to a DM in the Sky Club and he had similar experiences. It's a way to get frequent flyers off their back.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, National Emer-Exec, SPG-Plat, Ichotels-RoyalAmba/Plat
I've only flown in the 767-300ER(?) to/from Lima, I'll be trying the SCL flight from ATL soon. I'm 6" tall so not short/tall, the space between the seats is great I can even have my backpack under the seat in front of me without any stretching issues. The planes have only had the overhead CRAPPY monitors so no feedback on the IFE. As I've mentioned in another thread the beverage service is lacking the "free spirits" without some discussions with the FA's, it's happened to me every time. I do NOT expect them to cater to the new section more than the rest of the ECONOMY cabin, since well we are in the "back of the plane", but when I ask for vodka, rum, whiskey I shouldn't have to remind them of the new offering. The seats recline a little more but not that big of a deal for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.