Wiki Posts
Search

6 hours in DTW.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver
6 hours in DTW.

So, I have a 6 hour layover at DTW on July 13th.
What should I do?
Delta says that people under 21 (I'm 18), are not allowed in any lounges with self serve bars. I am lead to believe that all the lounges at DTW have self service bars.
I think it might take an hour or so to disembark, clear passport control and customs.

I would love to get some free internet - but if I have to I will pay for it seeing as it's such a long time there. I will have my laptop so could maybe watch some shows or a movie - but is there many Charging ports?

Is there anything you can suggest for me to do?
I could go to McDonalds - that's always fun.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
IMO DTW is one of the best of the US airports. Light and open, lots of shopping, a wide variety of restaurants. My favorite is a Japanese restaurant called Sora. The airport WI-FI is not free (or wasn't the last time I was there) but the Online Cafe, near gate 36 (roughly midway in the A concourse) offers complimentary internet access if you buy some food.

Edit: I may be wrong about the comp internet access, but I think the rates are pretty reasonable.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Jun 16, 2011 at 9:59 am
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by nufcrule3
What should I do?
Delta says that people under 21 (I'm 18), are not allowed in any lounges with self serve bars. I am lead to believe that all the lounges at DTW have self service bars.
I think it might take an hour or so to disembark, clear passport control and customs.

I would love to get some free internet - but if I have to I will pay for it seeing as it's such a long time there. I will have my laptop so could maybe watch some shows or a movie - but is there many Charging ports?

Is there anything you can suggest for me to do?
I could go to McDonalds - that's always fun.
There is an Internet cafe right in the middle of Terminal A. Burgers etc with power at each table and you can buy wifi. If you like Japanese food Sora is pretty good.

http://onlinecafebarandgrill.net/
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
If I was getting stuck at an airport DTW would be high on the list of places to be. The terminal is very large and has tons of shops and restaurants. As the previous posters have mentioned, internet is not free in the terminal, but you can definitely find someplace to hang out. There are several food options.

Maybe take a good book.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Multi-year NW PE, CO SE, Former F9 Ascent
If you decide to pay for wi-fi, Delta has installed power stations throughout the airport.

If you want to leave the airport for a couple of hours, The Henry Ford is a good place to visit. www.thehenryford.org Unfortunately, there is no (reasonable) public transport. You could take a quick (20min) cab ride and then arrange for them to pick you up after spending a couple of hours there.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
I heard the Westin has a gym but I've never tried it out. Apparently, the Westin is connected to the concourse and I think I've seen some sort of TSA screening entrance while running by.

Speaking of a gym, has anyone see people jog the length of the terminal? At 1 mile, it might not be a bad way to get some exercise and then shower at the SkyClub...
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Speaking of a gym, has anyone see people jog the length of the terminal? At 1 mile, it might not be a bad way to get some exercise and then shower at the SkyClub...
I came pretty close to this a few months ago on a tight connection due to a delayed flight.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I heard the Westin has a gym but I've never tried it out. Apparently, the Westin is connected to the concourse and I think I've seen some sort of TSA screening entrance while running by.

I would totally do this if it wasn't for the sweaty clothes that I'd then have to store somewhere!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM

The Westin does have its own TSA line.
Monday I got a 1/2 mile run in while lugging a backpack and rollerboard.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 747UpperDeck
If you decide to pay for wi-fi, Delta has installed power stations throughout the airport.

If you want to leave the airport for a couple of hours, The Henry Ford is a good place to visit. www.thehenryford.org Unfortunately, there is no (reasonable) public transport. You could take a quick (20min) cab ride and then arrange for them to pick you up after spending a couple of hours there.
I'll 2nd this...the Henry Ford is a truely awesome museum
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
The tunnel is not to be missed.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 1:16 pm

What to do, Oh what to do?

Originally Posted by nufcrule3
What should I do? .. snip .. I could go to McDonalds - that's always fun.
There are four lounges at DTW, three in terminal A, one close to each stop of the train, and the fourth is upstairs at the junction of terminals B&C. They are all self-service bars so no love for <21yrs without "guardian".

On the WiFi front, there are power ports throughout and a couple of the restaurants have WiFi service if you're frequenting their establishment as indicated by the other responders. However, if you are willing to sit in the hall near one of the clubs you might be able to log onto the T-mobile service emanating through the walls. Regular service checks the DL-FF# but "Guest" is an option. I have seen people sitting on the floor with their notebook computers, smurfing the web I presume.

There are plenty of good choices for food, so take a stroll or ride on the train before choosing. There are food courts on each end of terminal A with different establishments. Nothing at the ends of terminals B&C except glass windows. The tunnel between A and B&C is worth a look as indicated above.

Leaving the airside requires an adventuresome personality because the airport is pretty isolated. In addition, the TSA security at DTW has a particularly bad rep on FT and unless you have DL status you could be caught in a long line of unhappy people.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djm3
On the WiFi front, there are power ports throughout and a couple of the restaurants have WiFi service if you're frequenting their establishment as indicated by the other responders. However, if you are willing to sit in the hall near one of the clubs you might be able to log onto the T-mobile service emanating through the walls. Regular service checks the DL-FF# but "Guest" is an option. I have seen people sitting on the floor with their notebook computers, smurfing the web I presume.
There is a food court with seating directly beneath the A concourse center-point SC lounge were you can pick up the free lounge (T-mobile) Wifi. Also, there is some seating outside the B/C SC lounge where you access the lounge Wifi.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by 747UpperDeck

And if you do decide to do the Henry Ford Museum, call ahead and order a couple of burgers from Miller's. It won't be out of the way.. Some people (me included) will tell you that Miller's burgers beat In-and-Out and Five Guys and Apple Pan's burgers hands down...
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:16 pm
kjh

Unfortunately, IMO, 6 hours is not really enough time to go off-airport (public transportation is only bus/cab) and get back, through security, and be at your gate enough ahead of time for boarding (DL flights occasionally leave up to 15 minutes early and they can refuse boarding 20 minutes before departure .. that's another story though).

So ... as suggested above you can probably get "free" wifi at the 2 suggested locations (click the "guest" button on the browser login screen). There are about 50+/- shops in the airport on the airside (within the "secure" area) to poke around in and the A concourse is about 1 mile (1.6km) long so if you feel like getting some exercise, it's good for walking, and, as you noted, there is also McDonalds (but with NO free wifi and only Pepsi products - airport contract requirements). If you do decide leave the "secure" area, depending on the time of your departure from DTW, be aware that the security lines can get sort of long, perhaps 30 minutes at the worst, especially if they are having everyone go through the body scanners instead of the metal detectors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.