Delta SkyClub Lifetime Membership

Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:30 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by hockeystl
A few updates for Lifetime Members based my email correspondence with the Delta SkyClub Service Center regarding recent access changes :

1) The three hour early arrival rule does not apply to Lifetime Members
2) When clubs have a "line pass" sign for 360/Diamond/Delta One guests, Lifetime Members are excluded from the line pass benefit.
3) Lifetime Members continue to have Sky Club access regardless of air carrier.
The #2 item needs more clarity

When you say excluded from benefit does that mean us old folks have to stand in the long line even if we are Diamond?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
A few updates for Lifetime Members based my email correspondence with the Delta SkyClub Service Center regarding recent access changes :

2) When clubs have a "line pass" sign for 360/Diamond/Delta One guests, Lifetime Members are excluded from the line pass benefit.
Do these apply to refugees from NWA WorldClub life members?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:35 am

this was obvious from the moment they announced it. since lifetime members don't have to have a same-day flight, they are never "outside the three-hour window" to begin with.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
this was obvious from the moment they announced it. since lifetime members don't have to have a same-day flight, they are never "outside the three-hour window" to begin with.
Actually, they still need a same-day flight, it just doesn't have to be on DL or partners --

"Lifetime Members may continue to access the Club with same-day ticketed air travel on any airline. "
hockeystl likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:17 am

Programs: DL DM

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
The #2 item needs more clarity

When you say excluded from benefit does that mean us old folks have to stand in the long line even if we are Diamond?
Since the posting refers to #2 as a "benefit", I read it to mean that in order to skip the line, you have to be "360, Diamond or Delta One". Being a Lifetime Member does not, in and of itself, gives you the "benefit" of skipping the line.
hockeystl likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by cre95
Being a Lifetime Member does not, in and of itself, gives you the "benefit" of skipping the line.
it's kind of crazy that people feel like it SHOULD give that benefit.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
it's kind of crazy that people feel like it SHOULD give that benefit.
Given that DL has offered dispensations for Lifetimes on all the access rule changes this past few years including having to fly DL and waiting until 3 hours prior to departure.

It's just CRAZY that anyone would think that Lifetimes MIGHT be excluded from the lines and email Delta for clarification. That's borderline insane isn't it? Bahahahaha
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:56 am

I seem to recall that NW had a limited-time promotion for like $1500 for a lifetime membership in the early/mid 2000s around the holiday time, although it may have been a 10-year membership and not lifetime (memory is a little fuzzy). I remember chatting with someone at a law firm that had bought up a whole bunch of them for their staff as a holiday bonus that year and it was a huge hit.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 12:31 pm

Given that DL has offered dispensations for Lifetimes on all the access rule changes this past few years including having to fly DL and waiting until 3 hours prior to departure.
This is a misunderstanding of what has been done for lifetime members. What has happened is that the rules have remained the same for them - the same as they were when they stopped selling lifetime memberships. Whereas other access methods are all time limited, you're essentially agreeing to a new "contract" of access each year when you buy a membership, renew your Amex, or a one-time "contract" when you buy a D1 ticket. The fact that the rules were X last year is irrelevant when you're buying access now.

That's not the case for lifetime members, they've already bought the thing. Immediate access regardless of current occupancy or even access ahead of other members was not part of what they bought.

Additionally, there's no incentive for DL to give them anything they didn't actually pay for. They're by definition not going to write a check for future access.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
This is a misunderstanding of what has been done for lifetime members. What has happened is that the rules have remained the same for them - the same as they were when they stopped selling lifetime memberships. Whereas other access methods are all time limited, you're essentially agreeing to a new "contract" of access each year when you buy a membership, renew your Amex, or a one-time "contract" when you buy a D1 ticket. The fact that the rules were X last year is irrelevant when you're buying access now.

That's not the case for lifetime members, they've already bought the thing. Immediate access regardless of current occupancy or even access ahead of other members was not part of what they bought.

Additionally, there's no incentive for DL to give them anything they didn't actually pay for. They're by definition not going to write a check for future access.
I agree with the interpetation.

Now all we have to do is to have Delta state the same and get away from all our ad-hoc interpretations
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctsgoblue
I seem to recall that NW had a limited-time promotion for like $1500 for a lifetime membership in the early/mid 2000s around the holiday time, although it may have been a 10-year membership and not lifetime (memory is a little fuzzy). I remember chatting with someone at a law firm that had bought up a whole bunch of them for their staff as a holiday bonus that year and it was a huge hit.
It was lifetime for $999 near the end of the last millennium
Old Jun 18, 2022, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctsgoblue
It was lifetime for $999 near the end of the last millennium
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
That is what I paid for mine in 1999
NOLAnwGOLD likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
My father acquired his lifetime DL membership via Western. Although born in the 1980s, I heeded his advice about buying lifetime lounge memberships as a twenty-something.

Right out of college I bought a life CO Presidents Club membership, followed by a TWA Ambassadors life membership. I'll echo the feelings of others who still have a bad taste left when AA did not honor the program.

Regardless, a few years later AA offered lifetime Admirals Club memberships for a brief period of time (Three months?) so I signed up.

Immediately after the DL/NW merger was announced, I bought a life WorldClubs membership.

Overall I'm quite happy not being locked into one airline; it also occasionally means being able to pick and choose from lounges, i.e. at HNL the AC used to offer showers, the DL SC better food and the NW WC better drinks.

Ironically I now spend most of my time lounging in Centurion lounges; fortunately the $550 annual fee is basically a wash after $200 in airline fee credit, $200 in Uber credit and Boingo acccess.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 6:28 pm
Suspended

E mail me .I am in exact same position you are.
bought my lifetime in 79 or 80 from Western. I am a retired Western/Delta pilot.. we need to talk

[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.