FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL Starting ORD-CDG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1225382-dl-starting-ord-cdg.html)

WidgetKid Jun 12, 2011 11:13 am

DL Starting ORD-CDG

Starting Oct. 29, DL is starting ORD-CDG 5x weekly (no Mon/Wed) with a 763. The AF flight goes from a 343 to a 332.

The flight operates through the end of March, when the AF flight goes back to a 343.

jimyvr Jun 12, 2011 11:46 am

DL ORD CDG service starts from 29OCT11, and is replacing AF on this route given the departure time is identical and "both" are flying 5 times a week (no flights on Mondays and Wednesdays). Skyteam is cutting capacity on Trans-Atlantic route so it doesn't make sense for DL to add capacity on non hub-to-hub routes anyways.

DL592 ORD1810 - 0835+1CDG 767 x13
AF667 ORD1820 - 0835+1CDG 332 x13

DL593 CDG1035 - 1340ORD 767 x13
AF664 CDG1035 - 1245ORD 332 x13

http://airlineroute.net/2011/06/12/dlaf-ordcdg-w11/

trvlr70 Jun 13, 2011 8:25 am

Wow! I just can't imagine AF no longer flying the Chicago route. This is a fairly pretisge route to surrender. Is this permanent?

lseflyer Jun 13, 2011 8:31 am

Bad news. One less city that has a real premium economy service from the midwest.

elkapong Jun 13, 2011 8:55 am

I'm really surprised that AF would surrender this route... I can't say I am particularly happy about it.

stevekstevek Jun 13, 2011 9:04 am

Originally Posted by elkapong (Post 16552034)
I'm really surprised that AF would surrender this route... I can't say I am particularly happy about it.

It isn't really a surrender. All North America <-> Europe flights are covered by the Joint Venture, so it really shouldn't matter to them, other than branding, who operates the flight.

DaddyRabbit Jun 13, 2011 9:06 am

AF ORD Decision

I am quite surprised that AF would give it up. SkyTeam members must really be concerned about capacity. I am a DL guy, a DM who usually in in Y acorss the point and thus happy with the new EC option. However, outside the U.S. I use AF when possible.

jmertic Jun 13, 2011 11:06 am

What does this mean for the ground staff and AF lounge in T5? I would imagine that the new DL flight will arrive at T5, and be towed over to the DL gates in T2 for departure, and whomever handles DL flights will also handle this one as well.

The AF lounge in T5 was unique in that it has direct boarding from the back of the lounge. It was also used as an overflow lounge for KE. Will they close this location, or just shudder it over the winter? I imagine the location of this lounge would make it a popular choice for other carriers.

Gnopps Jun 13, 2011 11:26 am

Personally I am sad to see this change. I much prefer to fly AF over DL TATL (always in Y).

trvlr70 Jun 13, 2011 11:31 am

Originally Posted by elkapong (Post 16552034)

This route has been going strong for apparently over 60 years! It's amazing that you'll not see an AF in Chicago! I believe there even used to be more than one a day!

mcavin Jun 13, 2011 12:16 pm

DL phone supervisor just told me this yesterday. I had booked a Decemer AF trip in "A" class to use SWU's for "O," but the rules changed an prohibit using "A" for swus and the selling agent didn't know. Supervisor switched me to DL metal and confirmed Z.

The supervisor promised a "comparable" experience in J on DL's 763 vs AF 330. Except, of course, that the return flight lands one hour later.

Thoughts? I've only seen DL's domestic 763 fleet and never flown AF.

Bestbob Jun 13, 2011 12:43 pm

AF flight ORD-CDG still available in November

Originally Posted by trvlr70 (Post 16551870)
Wow! I just can't imagine AF no longer flying the Chicago route. This is a fairly pretisge route to surrender. Is this permanent?

Right now on the AF website you can find flights ORD-CDG on November 6... did not check later dates. I have a reservation on hold for another week (out on Nov 6, back on Nov 11)... ORD-CDG-BLL in PV class and I can still book that routing.

So it seems that AF is not giving up this route completely over the winter?

FlytheTail Jun 13, 2011 2:20 pm

Too bad... Upgrade inventory is generally much more generous on AF than on DL.

Originally Posted by Gnopps (Post 16553059)
Personally I am sad to see this change. I much prefer to fly AF over DL TATL (always in Y).

+1

Originally Posted by mcavin (Post 16553359)
The supervisor promised a "comparable" experience in J on DL's 763 vs AF 330.

DL's 763s are crusty, the IFE is old, and the cradle seats are narrow. If I were you, I'd see if I could switch to ORD-DTW on DL and then fly AF to CDG. It adds some time, but the experience is much more classy and comfortable IMO.

WidgetKid Jun 13, 2011 2:27 pm

I don't think AF is completely giving up the route as some people seem to think; I can still find the AF flight (AF667) as a 332 during the winter months.

mtkeller Jun 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bestbob (Post 16553535)
Right now on the AF website you can find flights ORD-CDG on November 6... did not check later dates. I have a reservation on hold for another week (out on Nov 6, back on Nov 11)... ORD-CDG-BLL in PV class and I can still book that routing.

So it seems that AF is not giving up this route completely over the winter?

Originally Posted by WidgetKid (Post 16554194)
I don't think AF is completely giving up the route as some people seem to think; I can still find the AF flight (AF667) as a 332 during the winter months.

The source linked above states "Currently AIRFRANCE operating flight (AF664/667) is still available for reservation but will be closed soon." I expect this is correct, because why on earth would DL and AF put out ORD-CDG at the exact same time on the exact same days of the week? The TATL JV is cutting capacity this winter, so DL starting new service and AF maintaining it would be absurd.