Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sidebar: what is the military bag fiasco going to cost us, the FF'ers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

Even though those military guys who posted the video about bag fees were wrong/uninformed on the policy and that they could expense them, Delta reacted to the fuss by waiving even more bag fees for military members. And due to the backlash, Delta likely is giving orders to staff to be very lenient on charges for anyone in uniform (and with a YouTube account).

So this means less revenue for Delta, who must now make up for it in other areas. What do you think this will cost us, the loyal, frequent travelers?

Higher fees for our excess bags?
Tougher enforcement of collecting fees for civilians?
Kissing any chance DL was close to relaxing the tough SWU fares goodbye?

Thoughts?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Nothing... until they make a video about not getting upgraded too.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by javabytes
Nothing... until they make a video about not getting upgraded too.
On the Denver Transit system they can travel for free if they are in uniform. Why not make everything free for everyone?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, DL PM, Marriott Gold, HIlton Gold
Find a recruiter, raise your right hand and stop whining.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Plat, Everything else basic
Several thousand waived bag fees each year isn't going to make a dent in Delta's bottom line. In fact, I bet DL (and all other US Airlines which also waived bag fees) will increase military contract fares by a few bucks to make the difference. What I think must have made a MAJOR impact was the millions and millions of dollars of bad PR this casued.

There will be people who will think negatively of Delta for years to come (even though, as you point out, this was a long standing policy and not Delta's fault, per say).

There will be people who avoid Delta for years to come because of this. Fixing PR mistakes costs money. Expect to see a lot of it spent.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:31 pm

I don't think many people are whining.
I think alot of people find it odd that Delta is held RESPONSIBLE to transport the gear, which the government should be paying for.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL SM, PC Gold Elite
I'm just wondering how each soldier can have 4 checked pieces. They literally pack up everything and ship them home via milair in tri-walls when they leave here. All I see them leave with is 2 items a duffel bag and a backpack
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by Pinehurstgolfer
Find a recruiter, raise your right hand and stop whining.
and make sure you take the O program...
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by MCI2OMA2ATL
There will be people who will think negatively of Delta for years to come (even though, as you point out, this was a long standing policy and not Delta's fault, per say).

There will be people who avoid Delta for years to come because of this. Fixing PR mistakes costs money. Expect to see a lot of it spent.
Bah. There will be about 12 people who will hold this against DL for more than six months, and probably under 100 who hold it against them for for more than three. Well, I mean among people who actually fly more than once per year. Most of those who blew up about this will move on to whatever travesty Faux News tells them to be upset about next week and their next once-every-five-years trip will be booked on the cheapest carrier, regardless of whether or not it's DL.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by DODexpat
I'm just wondering how each soldier can have 4 checked pieces. They literally pack up everything and ship them home via milair in tri-walls when they leave here. All I see them leave with is 2 items a duffel bag and a backpack
OT...but, can someone tell me why a soldier would be taking his M4, grenade launcher, etc as personal baggage back to home base? Are they issued before they leave and they carry them overseas? Or..are they issued overseas?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
If it costs a few bucks so our Men and Women that serve our country can get a little assistance...count me in.

It's the least we can do for them.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Other than the cost of the PR debacle, I doubt there will be any action that will be to the detriment of frequent flyers. I get the feeling that the people that are vowing to never fly Delta again are people that probably don't fly too often. But that's my perception based on the atrocious spelling and grammar of the comments I'm seeing on Delta's facebook page. If anything, fewer uneducated kettles strolling around Delta gates may be a good thing.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Even though those military guys who posted the video about bag fees were wrong/uninformed on the policy and that they could expense them, Delta reacted to the fuss by waiving even more bag fees for military members. And due to the backlash, Delta likely is giving orders to staff to be very lenient on charges for anyone in uniform (and with a YouTube account).

So this means less revenue for Delta, who must now make up for it in other areas. What do you think this will cost us, the loyal, frequent travelers?

Higher fees for our excess bags?
Tougher enforcement of collecting fees for civilians?
Kissing any chance DL was close to relaxing the tough SWU fares goodbye?

Thoughts?

No impact.

The amount DL will lose on this is peanuts compared to the amount of taxes DL and its flyers pay to support the military in the first place.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta, mariott, national
Get a life dude

Military personnel should not be charged fees for bags. I'd gladly pay their fee and buy them a beer on top of that.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TimAtl
Military personnel should not be charged fees for bags.
Then the military can fly them on their own planes wherever they need them to go.

The private sector can provide travel for much cheaper. If the government chooses to use these resources rather than provide their own transportation for soldiers, then the government should pay accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.