Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else been physically pushed away from Sky Priority check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:39 am
Original Poster

I may be young, but I do actually have a good job and I travel regularly. Sure, I'm only an FO but that is still FF status, low as it may be. So when I walked into JFK T3, upgrade confirmed, and headed straight for the Sky Priority check-in desk, I couldn't believe some red coat agent physically pushed me back and treated me like I had no idea what I was doing. He asked, "Do you have a boarding pass?" I said no and that's why I need to check in, pointed to the Sky Priority desk, but before I could say anything else he said, "Okay. See those kiosks over there? You need to go over there." I was waiting for him to say something like, "This section is for first class only," to which I could have responses, "Yeah, I'm flying first class. Thank you." But he didn't. I just stood there for a few seconds, confused as to why he wouldn't even ask if I was in FC or explain why he wasn't letting me through. I then just told him I was Sky Priority; he grunted and let me through. Meanwhile, another older couple walked right by into the SP line in front of me.

Usually, if anyone even stops me, which is rare, the first question they'll ask is if I am flying first class. I'll say yes, and they'll let me be on my way. This attitude of patronizing passengers and physically pushing them away from the line they're allowed to use is really unacceptable. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
The price we pay for being young and having status, im in my early 20s and have had this happen to me many times, it really sucks
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by markraby
I may be young, but I do actually have a good job and I travel regularly. Sure, I'm only an FO but that is still FF status, low as it may be. So when I walked into JFK T3, upgrade confirmed, and headed straight for the Sky Priority check-in desk, I couldn't believe some red coat agent physically pushed me back and treated me like I had no idea what I was doing. He asked, "Do you have a boarding pass?" I said no and that's why I need to check in, pointed to the Sky Priority desk, but before I could say anything else he said, "Okay. See those kiosks over there? You need to go over there." I was waiting for him to say something like, "This section is for first class only," to which I could have responses, "Yeah, I'm flying first class. Thank you." But he didn't. I just stood there for a few seconds, confused as to why he wouldn't even ask if I was in FC or explain why he wasn't letting me through. I then just told him I was Sky Priority; he grunted and let me through. Meanwhile, another older couple walked right by into the SP line in front of me.

Usually, if anyone even stops me, which is rare, the first question they'll ask is if I am flying first class. I'll say yes, and they'll let me be on my way. This attitude of patronizing passengers and physically pushing them away from the line they're allowed to use is really unacceptable. Has this happened to anyone else?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rity-line.html
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta, United
Has not happened to me, that I was physically pushed away. I have been refused cause I did not have my BP nor my medallion card. However, had I been pushed back I would have found a LEO and had him/her explain the definition of assault to the red coat preferably with their supervisor present.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
The price we pay for being young and having status, im in my early 20s and have had this happen to me many times, it really sucks
I'm in my late 20's (and if you look at the top of my head, you'd think I'm older), but I had the AZ Business/ST Elite+ agent at TLV give me a weird look when I stepped up to check in there. Apparently people under 40 don't fly business class and aren't ST Elite+ when flying on AZ
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, IHG SA, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Silver
Not young...but once had to rebook a flight mid-route at JFK due to weather. Stood in the medallion line for about an 30-45min (lots of people waiting to get rebooked), was about two from the front when they announced:

"We don't have a medallion line after xx:xx, please go to the other line." Stood in that regular pax line for another hour or two. I finally got rebooked on the red eye to CDG.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mtkeller
I'm in my late 20's (and if you look at the top of my head, you'd think I'm older), but I had the AZ Business/ST Elite+ agent at TLV give me a weird look when I stepped up to check in there. Apparently people under 40 don't fly business class and aren't ST Elite+ when flying on AZ
Yea, ive gotten treated poorly by check in agents at priority, at the skyclubs, flew to LHR in jan and was upgraded to BE and (long story short) the FA yelled at me in front of the cabin that everyone else had paid for their seats and i should be happy and just be quiet when asking why my companion wasnt upgraded with me (lots of empty BE seats).

Last edited by xolinlevh; Jun 9, 2011 at 8:15 am
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Has not happened to me, that I was physically pushed away. I have been refused cause I did not have my BP nor my medallion card. However, had I been pushed back I would have found a LEO and had him/her explain the definition of assault to the red coat preferably with their supervisor present.
I know I'm going off on a tangent, but if that happens ask them to explain battery. Assault (from a legal standpoint at least) is the threat of violence, while battery is the actual physical contact.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by markraby

Goodness - there's nothing quite like DL's NYC version of Minnesota Nice. I wonder if this is one of the very same helpful Red Coats that Donald Sutherland drones on about in Delta's gauzy commercials that just makes a body want to get up and hug their TV because it's such a darn nice airline.

Once someone starts getting physical, it's LEO time. Obviously not much would come of this incident, but I bet Mr. Red Coat would keep his hands to himself next time.

Send DL an e-mail - they'll shower you with SkyPesos and promise not to do it again. "As a Silver Elite, you are among our least-valuable clientele, and I can only imagine your disappointment when our Red Coat shoved you towards the check-in kiosk.

Last edited by Sabai; Jun 9, 2011 at 10:21 am
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Why is it people don't want to use the kiosks? I get the feeling that many people here just like the idea of being in the "elite" line, even when it's quicker to just check yourself in. (Not talking specifically about the OP). I know I'd much rather check myself in and not have any more human interaction than necessary.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Generally it takes me less time to go to an agent in the skypriority line and check in than it would to use the slow kiosk.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Why is it people don't want to use the kiosks? I get the feeling that many people here just like the idea of being in the "elite" line, even when it's quicker to just check yourself in. (Not talking specifically about the OP). I know I'd much rather check myself in and not have any more human interaction than necessary.
Depends. If I've got to check a bag and show a passport because the itinerary is international, I'd rather not waste time waiting for a kiosk to find my reservation, etc., etc., etc. If I'm carry-on only for a domestic flight and don't need to make any changes, I have no issues with a kiosk. (Of course, I've probably done OLCI or mobile BP at that point and don't even need the kiosk.)
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pdac1975
If there's no one waiting in the Sky Priority line, then a human agent can almost certainly check you in more quickly than a kiosk. The kiosks' response time is embarassingly slow, from the lag between screens to the unnecessary pop-ups ("Your upgrade has been confirmed!") to the delay before the boarding pass prints. Sometimes they even freeze. If you're checking a bag, then you need to see an agent anyway, so why deal with both the the painfully slow kiosk and the bag-drop line? I don't understand the aversion to human interaction.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:39 am

I did get the dirty eye and asked "Are you a medallion?" in an unpleasant tone last week while trying to check my luggage at PHL. Of course there was only one TA actually working as the other two were standing by the non-status line talking. Just a lowly FO in his 30's that looks younger that can read and follow directions.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MS02113
If there's no one waiting in the Sky Priority line, then a human agent can almost certainly check you in more quickly than a kiosk. The kiosks' response time is embarassingly slow, from the lag between screens to the unnecessary pop-ups ("Your upgrade has been confirmed!") to the delay before the boarding pass prints. Sometimes they even freeze. If you're checking a bag, then you need to see an agent anyway, so why deal with both the the painfully slow kiosk and the bag-drop line? I don't understand the aversion to human interaction.
Because Delta beancounters and computers have probably calculated that it costs $2 for an agent to check someone in and 10 cents for a kiosk to check someone in..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.