Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Just checked in as a Silver Medallion, getting Sky Priority messages

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just checked in as a Silver Medallion, getting Sky Priority messages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Gold, National Executive
Sky Priority as an FO with no upgrade??

I just checked in for MSP-LAS tomorrow, and saw the "Now that you're checked in, be sure to use your Sky Priority benefits at the airport." Sure enough, my e-boarding pass has Sky Priority and Zone 1 on it. It's an L fare, no upgrade, and I don't a DL Amex or anything. And I'm only Silver.

So yea, that's weird. ^
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Exit row? Would that do it?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cabingirl
I just checked in for MSP-LAS tomorrow, and saw the "Now that you're checked in, be sure to use your Sky Priority benefits at the airport." Sure enough, my e-boarding pass has Sky Priority and Zone 1 on it. It's an L fare, no upgrade, and I don't a DL Amex or anything. And I'm only Silver.

So yea, that's weird. ^
Not sure I understand what's wierd. Help me out. If it's the lack of an upgrade, depending on the route, upgrades for FOs have gone the way of the dinosaur.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Not sure I understand what's wierd. Help me out. If it's the lack of an upgrade, depending on the route, upgrades for FOs have gone the way of the dinosaur.
What's weird is getting SkyPriority as a Silver in Y. That's normally for Gold and higher only unless you get an upgrade. When I don't get upgraded (which is 80% of the time) I don't get the SP designation on my boarding pass. Trust me, I look every time because I want to use the security lane whenever I can.

I am in an exit row, but that doesn't get me SP normally either.

Last edited by cabingirl; Aug 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm Reason: got my percentage wrong :)
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
FO does not get SkyPriority if in Y. Though recently it seems exit rows have been getting Zone 1/SP.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
What's weird is getting SkyPriority as a Silver in Y. That's normally for Gold and higher only unless you get an upgrade. When I don't get upgraded (which is 90% of the time) I don't get the SP designation on my boarding pass. Trust me, I look every time because I want to use the security lane whenever I can.

I am in an exit row, but that doesn't get me SP normally either.
It's my understanding that anyone seated in an exit row now boards in Zone 1 regardless of status. I also think you get use of the SP security line. Not sure if your checked baggage gets higher priority as well or not though.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
It's my understanding that anyone seated in an exit row now boards in Zone 1 regardless of status. I also think you get use of the SP security line. Not sure if your checked baggage gets higher priority as well or not though.
That's interesting. On my last trip at the end of July, I was in an exit row on the first leg. I had SP on the first boarding pass, but I assumed it was because I had an upgrade on the second leg.

The checkin page indicated that "my" SP benefits included priority baggage handling...
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: DL Plat, LH Freq Traveller
Which routes do you usually fly and when? I fly out of MSP all the time and almost always get upgraded. When I was an FO, I was still upgraded about 75% of the time no matter where I was going. I was always under the impression that MSP's size and location is kind of a godsend for DL FOs because the chance of getting upgrades is much better than say, LAX, ORD, or other big airports.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Monoliths
Which routes do you usually fly and when? I fly out of MSP all the time and almost always get upgraded. When I was an FO, I was still upgraded about 75% of the time no matter where I was going. I was always under the impression that MSP's size and location is kind of a godsend for DL FOs because the chance of getting upgrades is much better than say, LAX, ORD, or other big airports.
Most of the time I'm flying MSP-IAD. My upgrade percentage for 2010 and so far in 2011 is around 20%. I won't mind as much if I keep getting flagged as SP! I just want an excuse to use the security line since MSP excludes Silver from that line.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If I'm in an exit row and don't get the UG (most of the time, of course), then I am zone 1 and SOMETIMES get SP (security/baggage), SOMETIMES I'm just zone 1 without SP. It would seem there is no logic or consistency. I've had it both ways numerous times.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Everytime I get an exit row, I get "Sky Priority" on the boarding pass, and zone 1. Works for me at the Sky Priority lane when I don't get an upgrade prior to check in. Silver exit row is almost like being Gold Medallion, without the milage bonus, and still a shot at gate upgrade. Silver may be not as good as Gold, but I'm digging it. Only 16 more segments to Gold for me. Not going to be a problem.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Cabingirl, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Rest assured, we have our IT team working on this issue so that we may soon deliver the proper benefits that you're entitled to as a Silver Medallion!

Sincerely,
Delta Airlines Flyertalk Lurking Team

Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta, BA
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Cabingirl, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Rest assured, we have our IT team working on this issue so that we may soon deliver the proper benefits that you're entitled to as a Silver Medallion!

Sincerely,
Delta Airlines Flyertalk Lurking Team

Yeah seriously lol delete this thread.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
I have been silver for 40 Delta segments since beginning to travel in March (because I was gifted status by a PM and have not yet earned GM). I am 6'5" so I always book the exit row because if I don't have the extra leg room and the person in front of me reclines, it will literally dig into my kneecaps.

Since June 1st all of my boarding passes have been zone 1 (a nice perk since overhead bins on Mon/Thu ATL-ORD routes can fill up midway through zone 2!).

Until today (the last segment I flew was Mon) any flight I check in online for gave me a Sky Priority boarding pass, whether I printed at home, at the airport, or had it sent to my phone via email/SMS. If I checked in via the iphone app, the boarding pass did not show the SP logo.

Today my boarding pass is still zone 1, but it no longer says SP. It's a shame, because it didn't provide expedited baggage service or any other SP perks, but it was a godsend getting through security in ATL on Monday mornings and ORD on Thursday afternoons.

Good thing Delta fixed this glitch, because otherwise they might have accidentally continued to make travel slightly less miserable for their customers with no cost to Delta or other elites!

Good thing any other airline will match the status I have with DL at the end of the year...
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Ok, your post made me curious, so I just checked in for my flights tomorrow. My wife and I (exit row) both got Zone 1 with no Sky Priority. I'm a Silver, she is just a general member. Another interesting thing is that I have the DL Reserve card and I don't see 'Expedite' on mine either. I wonder if they are working with the systems to get ready for the new AMEX boarding benefits, which I think are supposed to take affect in September.

Either way, I'll hit GM on this trip, so I can join the group who is angry that these lowly FO's have been clogging my Sky Priority lanes!

EDIT: Just checked 'my trips' on delta.com and I see the Sky Priority banner. My guess is that they are doing work on the systems. I'll reprint my BP at the kiosk tomorrow and see what I get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.