Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL4157 - 4 hour Tarmac Delay @ JFK on 5/26

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL4157 - 4 hour Tarmac Delay @ JFK on 5/26

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2011, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Josher747
Thats odd, I've never seen southwest do a full service during taxi out...
That's odd, I never saw where LarryJ claimed that.

He quoted your claim that "it would take hours to serve 70 people their beverage of choice that way" and responded with an example that showed that it can be accomplished in less than an hour. He did not comment on whether it should or could legally be done in this particular situation.
Old May 28, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM. EK Gold. UA1K. BA Silver. SPG Plat. HH. Diamond.
Originally Posted by sxf24
Outside of less than ideal communication, what exactly was irresponsible?
Sorry, but to me, having people out on the tarmac that long is irresponsible. Just go back to the gate, get everyone off the plane, and reboard when things are back to normal. It's way too stressfull, and it's not about security anymore, it's about money. If Delta can turn around a flight because a guy was wasted, then i see no reason why people should suffer for hours in their seats without food or water, that is for those in coach.
Old May 28, 2011, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by telloh
Fair enough. ATC tells the captain "Weather blocking west departure gates. Will advise."

Once the pilot tells you that, what more communication do you want?

When you can leave, you will leave. Or did you just want a "things still the same" message every so often?
I do, yes. I think that's the least they can do...
Old May 28, 2011, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oreo2222
Sorry, but to me, having people out on the tarmac that long is irresponsible. Just go back to the gate, get everyone off the plane, and reboard when things are back to normal. It's way too stressfull, and it's not about security anymore, it's about money. If Delta can turn around a flight because a guy was wasted, then i see no reason why people should suffer for hours in their seats without food or water, that is for those in coach.
At JFK (or many other large airports) in poor weather, "back to normal" would be the next day. While waiting sucks, sometimes it is better than the alternative: cancellation.
Old May 28, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hdtv4me
Safety first. No debate about that. But I find it hard to believe that every minute is fully consumed when they are sitting, just like us, for four hours on a tarmac. An update every now and then seems only courteous at the very least - necessary when you're the airline at the top of the worst-customer-service list.
And DL does mention they will provide timely updates I know it use to say every 15 minutes, not sure if it still does or not. True it rarely was that frequent, but it did prod people to give updates.
Old May 28, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sxf24
At JFK (or many other large airports) in poor weather, "back to normal" would be the next day. While waiting sucks, sometimes it is better than the alternative: cancellation.
I disagree 100% it all depends if that is your destination. If I am connecting and have no chance do to the delay I rather get a room and do it again the next day.
Old May 28, 2011, 9:00 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by troyintn
I disagree 100% it all depends if that is your destination. If I am connecting and have no chance do to the delay I rather get a room and do it again the next day.
What if the flight is only once a day or less (especially for international flights)? Then you're waiting 24 hours rather than a shorter delay.
Also, for those passengers that are on your flight that are not connecting, there is essentially no benefit to them to cancel the flight.
Old May 28, 2011, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by troyintn
That's why the airline should give you the option to deplane and cancel your ticket. Passengers who want to travel can stay on...
Old May 29, 2011, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by bpe
What if the flight is only once a day or less (especially for international flights)? Then you're waiting 24 hours rather than a shorter delay.
Also, for those passengers that are on your flight that are not connecting, there is essentially no benefit to them to cancel the flight.
If i'm flying international, i would definately not want to be 4hrs on the runway, plus the flying time!
Old May 29, 2011, 9:01 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Treating a US to Canada flight with the same rules that apply to TATL or TPAC flights seems a bit ludicrous, but you have to suspect there was some powerful lobbying going on behind the scenes.
Travel to Canada: Domestic rules for lounge access, and international rules for just about everything else.

If you are flying up to yyz from JFK, pax might consider LAN's [daily] service from JFK to yyz. They operate this service on an internationally equipped 767. I have searched and often find their fares on this route to be less than DL, AA or AC's.

While LAN has no advantage over JFK runway delays, and only offer one departure option, they win in term of aircraft type on this route. If their schedule aligns with yours, it is worth considering.
Old May 29, 2011, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
The primary points are that:
  • Immediately after the door was shut we were told of a 2-stage delay totaling 90 minutes. They clearly knew this in advance and we could have waited it out inside the terminal instead.
  • I understand the helplessness of a weather delay, and I know that neither the FA or the pilot can do anything other than wait along with us, but the quality of the updates/service during the 4 hours was substandard. As someone pointed out, if WN can serve 140 passengers without a cart surely this FA could have made a similar effort for the 30 we had onboard (flight was 1/2 full).

The manner in which a company addresses its problems and challenges speaks volumes about its true commitment to customer service. It may not change the outcome but at least I may think that you actually care about me as something other than a revenue stream.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.