Can I get free Economy Comfort?

Old May 25, 11, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Can I get free Economy Comfort?

I have a long flight to Tokyo at the end of July. I think the upsides of Economy Comfort make it more than worth it. I'm willing to do whatever to get a seat but $120 is crazy. I can't drink that much beer. Is there a Credit Card or another way to get these seats for free? I need one both ways.
Old May 25, 11, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by fearziz View Post
I have a long flight to Tokyo at the end of July. I think the upsides of Economy Comfort make it more than worth it. I'm willing to do whatever to get a seat but $120 is crazy. I can't drink that much beer. Is there a Credit Card or another way to get these seats for free? I need one both ways.
If it's more than worth it, pay it. If it's just for the beer, pack your own from the airport and save the 2x$120.
Old May 25, 11, 9:30 am

$120 is "crazy"? For a flight that long?

I think it's crazy cheap, but.....

If you can find a way to get status you might can get it for free. You can get a boat load of miles by signing up for the Delta Amex Reserve, it's only $300 a year or so (which is of course MORE then the $120)

Honeslty, the cheapest way is going to be to pay. Getting status to get it for free is going to cost more then your current quote!
Old May 25, 11, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post

If you can find a way to get status you might can get it for free. You can get a boat load of miles by signing up for the Delta Amex Reserve, it's only $300 a year or so (which is of course MORE then the $120)

Honeslty, the cheapest way is going to be to pay. Getting status to get it for free is going to cost more then your current quote!
roger that. it's about saving money first but i'll end up paying if needed. The first leg from DTW to HND is 14 hours and is an over night flight. The recline, beer, and power is worth it to me.
Old May 25, 11, 9:42 am

The recline, beer, and power is worth it to me.
Since it's a TRANSPAC flight you'll get free beer even in regular coach (i.e. not Economy Comfort).
Old May 25, 11, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 53flyer View Post
Since it's a TRANSPAC flight you'll get free beer even in regular coach (i.e. not Economy Comfort).
nice to know. thx
Old May 25, 11, 9:48 am

Programs: DL Gold
The only way to get economy comfort for free (that I know of) is by earning medallion status. I have Gold, and an EC seat is $40 for me on an upcoming flight to Europe. I think it's free for Platinum and Diamond members. That being said, there is still way more leg room on a non EC exit row seat than on a regular EC seat.
Old May 25, 11, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta-PM, Marriott-Plat, PC-Gold
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post

Delta Amex Reserve is actually $450 a year.
Old May 25, 11, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Barefootguy View Post
The only way to get economy comfort for free (that I know of) is by earning medallion status. I have Gold, and an EC seat is $40 for me on an upcoming flight to Europe. I think it's free for Platinum and Diamond members. That being said, there is still way more leg room on a non EC exit row seat than on a regular EC seat.
With that said an EC exit row seat is better than a non EC exit row seat or the same? I have non EC exit seats right now. Ones on row 40 and the others on row 50. Delta Boeing 777LR
Old May 25, 11, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
afaik only way to get EC for free is to be a PM or DM
Old May 25, 11, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
With that said an EC exit row seat is better than a non EC exit row seat or the same? I have non EC exit seats right now. Ones on row 40 and the others on row 50. Delta Boeing 777LR
Row 44 is the only exit row on the 77L and 77ER. Rows 40 and 50 are regular Y seats.
Old May 25, 11, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman View Post
Row 44 is the only exit row on the 77L and 77ER. Rows 40 and 50 are regular Y seats.
geeze im an idiot. I was considering the rows exit rows not the literal emergency exit. i retire now lmao
Old May 26, 11, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Perhaps this has already been answered / discussed in one of the MANY EComfort threads, but here goes, anyway!

How are the FA's managing Y pax changing seats when the door closes. Are they policing pax to make sure they don't move from "REGULAR" Y to EComfort? If they do allow it, are they giving those pax free booze? (not that I care, personally). Mostly just curious, but, the OP is flying to HND, and I'm certainly not an expert, but, between lack of connections at HND, and all the other other problems in Japan, and that these flights are just starting back up again, it seems to me that these flights would be fairly open.

Last edited by davetravels; May 26, 11 at 11:27 pm
Old May 27, 11, 12:05 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Perhaps this has already been answered / discussed in one of the MANY EComfort threads, but here goes, anyway!

How are the FA's managing Y pax changing seats when the door closes. Are they policing pax to make sure they don't move from "REGULAR" Y to EComfort? If they do allow it, are they giving those pax free booze? (not that I care, personally). Mostly just curious, but, the OP is flying to HND, and I'm certainly not an expert, but, between lack of connections at HND, and all the other other problems in Japan, and that these flights are just starting back up again, it seems to me that these flights would be fairly open.
I can't answer your question but I'm flying there at the end of next month and the EC seats are more full than the rest of the Y cabin, percentage wise. I'm sure that is because there are a lot of FT folks who jumped on the $589 fares like me and a buddy of mine did. In fact, there are a few of us on here that are on the same flights and we plan on getting together in Tokyo...kind of a mini Do.
Old May 27, 11, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Well, since Medallion status is virtually handed out with every AmEx these days, yes, yes there is a credit card.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: