Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

UG not processed at window now plenty of P fares available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

Ok, I know I am not the first to complain here about this but here goes.
I am just a GM, but my window has come and gone for a non-stop transcon Friday on a 737-200 with no upgrade. So I go and do a mock booking of this flight and there are P fares available(Seat map shows 50% of first still open) for the a few bucks more than I paid for my U fare last month.

What gives. I realize there are trying to monetize first class with these P fares, but it's just about the same damn price I paid.

Rant over
Old May 23, 2011, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yup, welcome to DL's monetization of F. Its becoming apparent that they would rather collect a few more dollars and stick somebody into F than maintain loyalty from medallions with the upgrade program.

I've also noticed that DL only seems to be allocating up to 1/2 of the F seats for advance for comp upgrade space, if they give any at all. And by that I mean 1/2 total between sold and comp... so if the plane has 24 F seats and they sold 4, then there are only 8 left for upgrades at the window.
Old May 23, 2011, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Hotcarl
Ok, I know I am not the first to complain here about this but here goes.
I am just a GM, but my window has come and gone for a non-stop transcon Friday on a 737-200 with no upgrade. So I go and do a mock booking of this flight and there are P fares available(Seat map shows 50% of first still open) for the a few bucks more than I paid for my U fare last month.

What gives. I realize there are trying to monetize first class with these P fares, but it's just about the same damn price I paid.

Rant over
How much more was the p fare?
Old May 23, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rylan
Yup, welcome to DL's monetization of F. Its becoming apparent that they would rather collect a few more dollars and stick somebody into F than maintain loyalty from medallions with the upgrade program.

I've also noticed that DL only seems to be allocating up to 1/2 of the F seats for advance for comp upgrade space, if they give any at all. And by that I mean 1/2 total between sold and comp... so if the plane has 24 F seats and they sold 4, then there are only 8 left for upgrades at the window.
Really? I guess to each his own.....I think the monetization of F talk has greatly diminished lately and on many routes it seems that DL is only holding back 2-6 seats for gate upgrades.....obviously some markets see more seats (if not all) held back a la JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO...

And to the OP, DL doesn't fly 737-200s anymore so are you maybe on a 73W....The 737-700 with an F cabin of only 12 seats? If so, I'm guessing that you are flying the ATL-SNA route which is an extremely unlikely upgrade for a GM. That flight has been going out with 10-30 PMs and DMs in coach lately so I wouldn't be expecting an UG at the window. I'm curious to hear what the real RT difference was from a U fare to the P fare. I seriously doubt that on a transcon it is any less than $400-600 RT since U fares on transcons seem to be pretty low and I haven't seen any better than an HUP on a transcon
Old May 23, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Do you mean a 757-200 instead of a 737-200? These are used extensively for transcons.

You have three strikes against you...1) A transcon, with lots of paid F, 2) a Friday, arguably the toughest day to snag an upgrade, and 3) a GM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.