Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta and Air France to cut Europe flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 5:32 am
Original Poster

"Delta Air Lines, Air France-KLM and Alitalia will sharply reduce flights across the Atlantic starting this fall, after airlines added too much flying on those routes just as fuel prices shot up.

The change will leave travelers between the U.S. and Europe with fewer choices. "

Link to full article:
http://ap.stripes.com/dynamic/storie...MPLATE=DEFAULT
Old May 20, 2011, 5:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Fewer choices and higher ticket prices, even for when oil goes back to a price closer to half its record high price than up to the record high price.
Old May 20, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
I quit caring any more and my loyalty to Delta is slowly dwindling... I guess that for me that means less trips over the pond or using other carriers... While Delta has only one main concern - revenue, I have options... Save my money or use it on another alliance... but then I'm sure that my measly revenue cut of two or three trips won't affect their bottom line either...
Old May 20, 2011, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Guess thats it for the new BOS-LHR and MIA-LHR routes.
Old May 20, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by localady
... While Delta has only one main concern - revenue, I have options ...
It is understandable that they care about revenue and I don't see anything wrong with this. Otherwise, they might not be around anymore sometime in the future ... I prefer to use a financially sound airline than one I don't know when they will be grounded and will leave me on my own anywhere in the world.

To be revenue focussed does not necessarily imply that they have to be more expensive than competition, just not cheaper either.
Old May 20, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Didn't DL just spend bundles to configure Economy Comfort on these routes? If they're now dropping these flights what sense does that make? Are we sure Delta's not being run by the government?
Old May 20, 2011, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by FetePerfection
Didn't DL just spend bundles to configure Economy Comfort on these routes? If they're now dropping these flights what sense does that make? Are we sure Delta's not being run by the government?
DL's not retiring any aircraft from their long-haul fleet although some planes will briefly be parked to defer maintenance during the slower travel months.

DL has been the most aggressive airline worldwide in adding Atlantic capacity over the past several years. Some routes have allegedly been very successful (DXB, ACC, LOS) while others haven't. Kudos to DL for experimentation.

But really, with the sharp increase in fuel, is it really a surprise that marginal flying will be dropped? Does MSP need three daily flights to AMS? DTW four flights?
Old May 20, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by FetePerfection
Autumn and winter are not high season for travel to Europe from the US, perhaps outside of some ski destinations. They're not talking permanent capacity reductions, just seasonal compared to what they ran during the previous low season. As others have said, I'd rather have a solvent DL (and TATL JV) than one that's hemorrhaging cash, and this is part of that.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by rylan
Guess thats it for the new BOS-LHR and MIA-LHR routes.
Do we know that for sure? The article indicated that the city pairs were not announced yet. If these flights are profitable, they won't be cut...
Old May 20, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by james318
Do we know that for sure? The article indicated that the city pairs were not announced yet. If these flights are profitable, they won't be cut...
I would guess that if DL has started making inroads for LHR from BOS and MIA, we might see the flights downgauged (although that's not good for their revenue-driving BE cabin) instead of cut. Perhaps the second BOS flight will become seasonal only, since it was already dropped to a 757.

Seems more likely that some of the less popular European markets will lose their flights from ATL or JFK with routing through AMS or CDG coming into play.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:18 pm

Great that DL and Skyteam is balancing supply and demand. I hope the others follow suit and we have better managed loads. Good for the airlines, good for the environment, good for shareholders.
Old May 21, 2011, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bagels
DL's not retiring any aircraft from their long-haul fleet although some planes will briefly be parked to defer maintenance during the slower travel months.
That's not what the media have been reporting over the past couple of weeks; for example:

Delta has previously said it plans to retire 140 aircraft in the next 18 months, including some widebody planes used on international routes. Anderson didn’t specify which additional types of planes would be removed from service.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

If fuel remains expensive (in the $3/gal range), look for 744s to be parked in the desert.
Old May 21, 2011, 2:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
So there is no chance that flights to places like SVO, IST, and ATH will get better aircraft finally? I am dreading the old 764 this week SVO-ATL and next go to ATH.
Old May 21, 2011, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Xeno
So there is no chance that flights to places like SVO, IST, and ATH will get better aircraft finally? I am dreading the old 764 this week SVO-ATL and next go to ATH.
They're trying to save money, not spend more.
Old May 21, 2011, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Xeno
I am dreading the old 764 this week SVO-ATL and next go to ATH.
It was noted last week that every 764 in service has lie-flats seats in BE; all have AVOD in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.