Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Refund for obese person taking up half my seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund for obese person taking up half my seat?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The clincher for me is the arm rest.
If it is up, I ask that it be lowered.

It is the delineating factor in seat possession.
Old May 16, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I think there's an option that everyone has missed. Perhaps it's a selfish option, but still an option.

As you were seated in the Exit Row, you could have told the FA that you were uncomfortable, and that's an automatic re-seating. Right?
Old May 16, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
One note about the seat belt extender in exit rows.

I believe I read somewhere that the rule about no seatbelt extenders in the exit row exists because an extended seatbelt may create a tripping hazard if needing to exit the plane.
Old May 16, 2011, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
That makes total sense. If I read you correctly, the first choice of course is to move to an empty seat. If there is NO empty seat, then it will at a minimum be a VDB to somebody or possibly an IDB. Are you also saying that if no one takes a VDB to get off the plane to make an empty seat for someone like the OP, then the OP would in fact get IDB compensation if his seat were "unusable" and he had to get off the plane? Sorry for all the questions...just trying to get this right in case I am ever in a situation like the OP.
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I do not buy this at all.

First, IDBs are specifically for oversold situations, clearly not the case here.

Second, the pax has a seat. Granted it sucks (and I would be the first one asking the FA to act). So there is no DB of any sort

I WOULD hope that if it came down to a pax having to leave the plane because no alternative was acceptable that DL would come up with a reasonable compensation..
The answers to both of your questions are found in the link below:

Originally Posted by Spiff
It's definitely not "no other option".

I've posted this before, but here it is again: how to handle POS in your seat.
Bottom line: if there is < 1 seat available on the plane and the passenger refuses to sit in it, there's going to be a DB of some kind if the passenger is willing to push the issue.
Old May 16, 2011, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Spiff
It's definitely not "no other option".

I've posted this before, but here it is again: how to handle POS in your seat.
Thank you! Saving that link for future use.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:16 pm

deleted
Old May 17, 2011, 1:34 am

Programs: AA, ANA, JAL, NW/DL, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Delta flight attendants are REQUIRED to verify exit seat qualifications and get a verbal response from each passenger sitting at an exit seat BEFORE the boarding door is closed. And passengers requiring an extension may NOT sit at an exit seat.

Did the PAX use an extension? Did one of the FAs come to verify seating and get a verbal response? At that time, he/she should have noticed a potential problem and taken care of the issue.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Sorry to the OP . I know how terrible it is to deal with fat people, it sucks. I just had a similar incident on a flight this past weekend where I was in First Class and the gentle was so large that he had to get up so that I could use the bathroom.

Had it of been a normal sized person, it is fairly easy to scoot by them. In addition to this gentleman being so freaking large, I had to use the bathroom a second time and he looked like he was in no condition to get up this time, which he DIDN'T and had to squeeze by him.

Such a shame! And when the snack basket went around he grabbed 3 twix, chips and cookies. He didn't even glance at the banana in the basket, way to be oblivious large man.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posts like that are why these threads end up getting locked.
Old May 17, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
I think there's an option that everyone has missed. Perhaps it's a selfish option, but still an option.

As you were seated in the Exit Row, you could have told the FA that you were uncomfortable, and that's an automatic re-seating. Right?
Ding Ding Ding....show him what he's won Johnny!

I emailed DL about this same issue. I wasn't asking for compensation, just what to do in the future when this happens. They apologized and gave me a $50 voucher.
Old May 17, 2011, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Kevlondon
I'm flying LHR-JFK-LHR in a couple of weeks, and I picked DL as they offer rows of 2 on the 767, unlike BA where it's mostly rows of 3.

I'm a Flying Blue Elite, but nevertheless I was surprised after booking my flight to find that I was able to bag seat 30B, the exit row, on my outbound flight. I paid for a bulkhead eco comfort seat on the way back just to try and get some sleep. But I was surprised that I could pick this seat - is it just because of my FB status? Will I definitely keep this assignment, or might I get bumped when OLCI opens?

Never having done DL before, I'm not sure what to expect. How's the IFE? Food reasonable? How is the legroom in emergency exit rows?
Do a search for London FAQ on DL - should answer your questions.
Old May 17, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by krpjr
Sorry to the OP . I know how terrible it is to deal with fat people, it sucks.
Stay classy.
Old May 17, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ravenboy2001
Would it be wrong to complain about this?
My father got a voucher for a similar situation.
Old May 17, 2011, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Suggestion.

"Per FAA directive, armrests MUST be down until cruising altitude is reached."

I know, it is not going to happen.

But this is one reason to be a gate lice. I will be dammed if somebody is going to raise the armrest on me.Once I have my seat I will enforce it.
Old May 17, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta 1MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz - PC, Marriott Titanium Elite
I'm amused at this issue.

Men with shoulder width's that are greater than the seat width have been forced to sit 3 across for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.