Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta #151 5-13 dumped fuel returned to ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta #151 5-13 dumped fuel returned to ATL

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
Indeed. I've been on two 777 flights on which fuel was dumped.
Now, I apologize if my question is stupid, but I thought one could only dump fuel over the ocean or a body of water... I've been on a few flights were we had to dump fuel, and from my recollection, we always made a detour to the ocean.

I mean, I had the grill on outside yesterday, I would hate if 10,000lbs of jet fuel were dumped on me. It would ruin my steak.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by mbarreto
Now, I apologize if my question is stupid, but I thought one could only dump fuel over the ocean or a body of water... I've been on a few flights were we had to dump fuel, and from my recollection, we always made a detour to the ocean.

I mean, I had the grill on outside yesterday, I would hate if 10,000lbs of jet fuel were dumped on me. It would ruin my steak.
+1^
Old May 16, 2011, 10:39 am

Depending on the nature of the incident, there will likely have to be a full report to the FAA.

Last edited by meh130; May 16, 2011 at 10:45 am
Old May 16, 2011, 10:45 am

You can dump at higher altitudes. The fuel will evaporate, and dissipate. The worst situation would be for the fuel to evaporate just above the ground, as that would create the basis for a fuel-air explosion.

If it was in liquid form, Jet A has a high flashpoint (kerosine based), and would likely douse flames rather than flash (like gasoline).
Old May 16, 2011, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Odd to fly dirty for 2+ hours.
Actually, not odd at all. If they needed to burn fuel, that would be normal. Or if they needed to talk to the engineers at Boeing to determine a course of action, it is normal.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
NEW REQUIRED READING FOR POSTING IN THIS THREAD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dumping

Regulations set a minimum altitude and speed for fuel dumping such that the fuel will evaporate and dissipate in the atmosphere long before it makes it to the ground.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by meh130
You can dump at higher altitudes. The fuel will evaporate, and dissipate. The worst situation would be for the fuel to evaporate just above the ground, as that would create the basis for a fuel-air explosion.

If it was in liquid form, Jet A has a high flashpoint (kerosine based), and would likely douse flames rather than flash (like gasoline).
Thanks, I never knew that!! ^
Old May 16, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Thanks, I never knew that!! ^
Yup, I've dumped fuel over the center of the country twice -- once on a DC10 and once on a 747, I believe.
Old May 16, 2011, 9:49 pm

I should have clarified... many modern planes do not dump fuel, like the Airbus A320 or Boeing 737/757. Some can, but this is rarely done, the preference being to burn it off normally.
Old May 17, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Originally Posted by BonzoESC
Flightaware record, including a precise little racetrack northeast of KMCN http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...130Z/KATL/KMCN
That was right over my house! Too bad I did not look up. Not a lot of traffic in this area. Close enought to ATL or for that matter Warner Robins AFB is things really went haywire, but out of the way.
Old May 17, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
My sources tell me you should kiss the ground and enjoy tomorrow's sunrise.... it was a bit prickly....
Care to elaborate?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by estedman
Care to elaborate?
Apparently, a small issue with the landing gear. There was a noise shortly after takeoff, with the pilot announcing the it was the landing gear deploying. That's why the plane flew dirty for about 130 minutes before returning to ATL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.