Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A332 DTW-ORD on 13May

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

A332 DTW-ORD on 13May

DL1059 DTW-ORD-DTW got upgraded from a DC-9-50 to an A330-200 today due to the weather and ATC delays in the Chicago area. Can't say I ever thought I'd see an A330 on this route!

DL1059 DTW 5:11pm ORD 5:31pm
DL1059 ORD 6:23pm DTW 8:45pm

Anyone on this flight?
Old May 13, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by aeolos
DL1059 DTW-ORD-DTW got upgraded from a DC-9-50 to an A330-200 today due to the weather and ATC delays in the Chicago area. Can't say I ever thought I'd see an A330 on this route!

DL1059 DTW 5:11pm ORD 5:31pm
DL1059 ORD 6:23pm DTW 8:45pm

Anyone on this flight?
I am not on the flight, but I am definitely jealous
Old May 13, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by apados
I am not on the flight, but I am definitely jealous
It may take longer to get everyone on, than to make the flight -- assuming it's full that is

<lol>

Bob H
Old May 13, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
I hope everybody up front gets enough time to enjoy the ride.

A long time ago I used to fly back and forth between DTW and ORD 3 days a week and I remember how it took longer to get to the airport than to get from one airport to the other.
Old May 13, 2011, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by BobH
It may take longer to get everyone on, than to make the flight -- assuming it's full that is.
It should be full, or close to it -- they cancelled the last three departures (over 350 seats) and dumped them onto the 332 (less than 250 seats). Probably a slew of unhappy passengers (time, seats, etc.) I'm certain.

Boarding shouldn't be too bad. UA flew a pair of DC-10 and later 763 ORD-DTW during the work week until 9-11. During ProAir's short-lived tenure, UA actually served meals (think cereal, etc.) on their widebodies. Now it's too short for a beverage on a 50-seat RJ.

Amazing to think that just a decade ago UA was flying 7 mainline flights (mostly 72S, 757, 763 and D10), AA 8 (mixture of F100, 72S and M80) and NW up to 10 (mostly DC-9, but some 320, 72S and 757) to ORD... and now the route's mostly RJ. And WN's hourly shuttle to MDW has been halved whereas NW's DC-9 service to MDW is now all-RJ. No doubt DTW-CHI's a strong causality of post-9/11 security rules. (As somebody who regularly commutes between Metro Detroit and Chicago, I can vouch that it's just as fast & easy to drive nowadays)...
Old May 13, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Bagels
I No doubt DTW-CHI's a strong causality of post-9/11 security rules. (As somebody who regularly commutes between Metro Detroit and Chicago, I can vouch that it's just as fast & easy to drive nowadays)...

+1 -- and the economy -

Depending on where you start in the DTW area and where you have to be in Chi town -- it's about a 5 hour drive.

When I have to be in the loop, Amtrak's faster.

Bob H
Old May 13, 2011, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by BobH
Depending on where you start in the DTW area and where you have to be in Chi town -- it's about a 5 hour drive...When I have to be in the loop, Amtrak's faster.
But Amtrak's too unreliable to depend on consistently. Too bad, high speed rail (and I mean TRUE high speed rail, not the 90 MPH garbage they're upgrading a portion of the DET-CHI line to) would be ideal for a route like this.

If you can catch a ride and/or have access to parking downtown, Mega Bus is an excellent option -- 5-hour ride, free wi-fi and fares topping at $33. Not sure why the double-deckers are on this route, or why Mega Bus is inaugurating service to Pittsburgh... I've been the SOLE passenger on board more than once.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:32 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...323Z/KORD/KDTW

Let's see . . . . 42 minutes flight duration. 10 minutes to get up - - 10 minutes to get down - - 32 Business Elite pods. How much Woodford can 32 DM's drink in 22 minutes?!?!

. . . . or Coke Zero, in my case!!
Old May 13, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Very odd to see that...You figure an 80 minute flight gets an A332, LAX-HNL/OGG/KOA/LIH would get better planes, but nah they still get some dirty old 752s...
Old May 13, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I remember back in the 80's when AA had DC-10s on DTW-ORD, then had 757 service on through a good portion of the 90s.

Anyways, DTW-CHI there are a lot of variables on whether to fly/drive/train.

If I'm going solo, going into the city, for work, or just for a quick weekend, and have no need for a car, then flying is typically the best option.

If I'm going solo, for leisure, out in the suburbs, and need a car, then driving is the best option.

If I'm going with a group of people, into the city, don't need a car, then the train is the best option.

I've been tempted to drive to K-zoo and hop the train into Chicago from there.

The stretch of track from Birmingham to K-zoo seems to take forever, with too many delays.

I can walk to the Birmingham stop and I know the schedule and hear the trains daily. The train is regularly 1-2 hours late.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Back in the day I had a number of one-days to Chicago, and right now the plane still is the only way to make that happen, if only because were I to drive there leaving the house at 4:00 or so (say 5 hours driving plus an allowance for construction delays plus time to stop somewhere for breakfast) I'd be too fried to be any good in the meetings, and after a day of meetings I really wouldn't be looking forward to 5 hours driving back, arriving at 11-11:30.

Now, if they could upgrade the train to 2:30-3 hours (the present upgrades are intended to get the time down to around 5 hours) and had a train leaving New Center at around 6:30 and the northern burbs at 6:00 (I live about 15 minutes from the Birmingham station), that would be ideal. Close to home, drop off adjacent to the Loop, way more comfortable than a plane, time for a bite to eat, a nap, and review notes. What's not to like? Of course, I'll be long dead and in my grave before that train ever comes about.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by davetravels
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...323Z/KORD/KDTW

Let's see . . . . 42 minutes flight duration. 10 minutes to get up - - 10 minutes to get down - - 32 Business Elite pods. How much Woodford can 32 DM's drink in 22 minutes?!?!

. . . . or Coke Zero, in my case!!
Seems like every time I fly DTW-ORD, the FA is in no hurry and the F cabin gets their drinks at the start of the descent and has them taken away two minutes later.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I remember flying ORD-DTW back in 1999 on NW on the A319 when it was brand new to the fleet, it was literally within the first few weeks of them entering the fleet.

The best service I ever had on that route was when XJ operated it with the ARJ. There was a 9pm departure out of ORD on the ARJ in about 2002-2005. I really miss that plane.

The train really is nice for the ability to sleep, read, use a laptop (with an aircard), but is is about 2 hours too long to be competitive.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL PM
Me and my wicked bad mulllet got to ride MSP-ORD on the 747 c.1985 when my MDW bound 727 went mx.
Old May 14, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by javabytes
Seems like every time I fly DTW-ORD, the FA is in no hurry and the F cabin gets their drinks at the start of the descent and has them taken away two minutes later.
Having flown this flight 4-5 times this year I have not had this experience at all. Seems like I usually end up on shuttle America and the FAs do a PDB, beverage after takeoff and snack basket service....you must be flying on off days or delayed flights??? I'm growing to like some of the regionals and love the E75....no bad seat on that plane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.