Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Rookie - change flight question

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2011, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Delta Rookie - change flight question

Have a flight tomorrow and would like to either change my flight to an earlier flight or standby for the earlier flight. I don't fly Delta much and not sure what my flexibilities are with a non refundable ticket. I don’t have approximately 30,000 miles I wouldn't mind using if that would assist.

Ideally, I'd like to change the flight and know today if I have a seat on the earlier flight, but will stand by if necessary.

Appreciate the assistance.
Old May 12, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by samgvb
Have a flight tomorrow and would like to either change my flight to an earlier flight or standby for the earlier flight. I don't fly Delta much and not sure what my flexibilities are with a non refundable ticket. I don’t have approximately 30,000 miles I wouldn't mind using if that would assist.

Ideally, I'd like to change the flight and know today if I have a seat on the earlier flight, but will stand by if necessary.

Appreciate the assistance.
If you are not Gold or above you have to pay the change fee unfortunately. I believe it is $150 + the fare difference if any.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avidflyer
If you are not Gold or above you have to pay the change fee unfortunately. I believe it is $150 + the fare difference if any.
If it is a same day confirmed change, it is only $50 (free for Golds and above). The same day confirm change must be made within 3 hours of the new flight (not the original flight). Standby is only available to Golds or above.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by LBJ
If it is a same day confirmed change, it is only $50 (free for Golds and above). The same day confirm change must be made within 3 hours of the new flight (not the original flight). Standby is only available to Golds or above.
Yes for SDC but the OP was hoping to confirm today for a flight tomorrow.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I figured it would be difficult and expensive to lock in today.

Guess I'm still confused, can I standby tomorrow for the earlier flight and if available pay the $50?

Thanks!
Old May 12, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Here's the information on Same Day Confirmed (SDC), which you can do within three hours of the earlier flight you would like to take, for a $50 fee.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...nges/index.jsp
Old May 12, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Plat, Everything else basic
Assuming the old and new flights are on the same day, "Same Day Confirmed" (SDC) is probably your best bet, but it is a risk.

Wait until 3 hours before the flight you want to be on, call Delta and ask to "same day confirm" to the new flight.

If there are seats it will be 50 bucks. The risk is if there are no seats you would have to go on your originally scheduled flight.
The safer way to to call now and pay the $150 change fee and change to the newer flight now (assuming there are seats now).

You can sometimes get an idea ahead of time how likely SDC is by either poking around on vairous web sites, or just calling and asking how full a flight is. If there are only a couple of seats odds won't be as good as if the plane is half empty.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Silver, AVIS First
Originally Posted by MCI2OMA2ATL
The safer way to to call now and pay the $150 change fee and change to the newer flight now (assuming there are seats now).
$150 plus any fare difference... it's the (sometimes drastic) fare difference that usually deters me.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCI2OMA2ATL
Assuming the old and new flights are on the same day, "Same Day Confirmed" (SDC) is probably your best bet, but it is a risk.

Wait until 3 hours before the flight you want to be on, call Delta and ask to "same day confirm" to the new flight.

If there are seats it will be 50 bucks. The risk is if there are no seats you would have to go on your originally scheduled flight.

You can sometimes get an idea ahead of time how likely SDC is by either poking around on vairous web sites, or just calling and asking how full a flight is. If there are only a couple of seats odds won't be as good as if the plane is half empty.

They are, the new flight is approxmately 4 1/2 hours earlier and KVS is showing just 3 empty seats in first, nothing in the back.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
They are, the new flight is approxmately 4 1/2 hours earlier and KVS is showing just 3 empty seats in first, nothing in the back.
If Y0, you can't do SDC (assuming of course you're not on an F ticket). And the fare difference would obviously be very substantial today as you'd be purchasing an F ticket from your original Y.
Old May 12, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I'm not a KVS user (so I'm unsure of what you're getting) but don't look at seat maps - look at inventory for sale. Even just Y1 will allow you to SDC. (Yes, I have tested this.) F3 Y0 leaves you out of luck unless somebody clears into F and Delta restores inventory to Y.

There is a very lengthy thread on SDC strategies and limitations.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...tions-faq.html
Old May 16, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: 1FS Frequent Diner
When can I request a SDC change?
SDC changes can be requested up to 3 hours before the departure of your desired flight. The desired flight must be within the same calendar day as your originally scheduled flight (time zone of departure city). As an example, if you are ticketed to travel on Monday at 10:00am from LAX-ATL but you want to travel on the Monday morning/Sunday night 12:15am LAX-ATL then you can call no earlier than 9:15pm on Sunday night.
So a day for SDC is considered a calendar day? The policy and conditions on the Delta website don't specifically say "calendar day", but I assumed that's what it was getting at.

If I want an SDC for my 12:40am flight, I would only be able to grab a flight if it departs up to 40mins prior and not the evening/afternoon before, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.