Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Allegation: ASA pilot refused to fly with Muslim passengers aboard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Allegation: ASA pilot refused to fly with Muslim passengers aboard

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
Here's the complaint, for you lawyerly types who'd like a read of the complaint:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...1yIqqpUWHF-4bQ

In addition to the what's being reported, it looks like Delta/ASA tried to offer the men $100 in vouchers over the incident, and they refused to accept them.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by neilah
Here's the complaint, for you lawyerly types who'd like a read of the complaint:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...1yIqqpUWHF-4bQ

In addition to the what's being reported, it looks like Delta/ASA tried to offer the men $100 in vouchers over the incident, and they refused to accept them.
$100 in exchange for public humiliation. It's shocking they didn't take it.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Spiff
"According to the suit, the official told passengers that anyone who was apprehensive about the presence of the two men could take a different plane and would be given a generous voucher. There were no takers. The pilot still refused to allow the men to board and they were booked on a later flight, the suit said."

There should have been no generous voucher, just the $150+ change fee and fare difference, if applicable for anyone too cowardly to be on the same plane. I'm pleased there were no takers.

The pilot, on the other hand, should answer personally and financially for his despicable action. I hope a large part of a hefty financial judgement for these 2 men comes out of that captain's personal funds.
+1

I hope Bubba and Goober are compelled to pony up for their prejudices.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:43 pm

The pilot, on the other hand, should answer personally and financially for his despicable action. I hope a large part of a hefty financial judgement for these 2 men comes out of that captain's personal funds.
Unfortunately, it looks like the lawsuit only names Delta and ASA as defendants.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DaDaDan
Unfortunately, it looks like the lawsuit only names Delta and ASA as defendants.
See I think this whole thing was blown way out of proportion. Of course this is all hearsay, but as I heard, the flight was already pushed back from the gate, when the TSA or the police or someone ordered the plane be brought back to the gate because of a security concern. When the captain tried to find out why these men were being pulled off, no one would tell him why. Since no one would tell him why, he decided to go without them, as he should have been told.

Obviously, if the plane was already pushed back from the gate, he had no problem with the men going before. And I'm certain he's probably flown Muslims dressed in traditional gowns and robes before on his flights.

I think we're missing lots of the story here.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
They "were traveling to Charlotte to attend a conference on anti-Muslim discrimination at the time."

Hmm.........quite a coincidence.

Gotta be more to the story.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
"According to the suit, the official told passengers that anyone who was apprehensive about the presence of the two men could take a different plane and would be given a generous voucher."
That might be the oddest part of the whole story.

Of course, if it had been a bigger plane, we might have a thread on here that says, "I was given a generous voucher because ASA employs bigots."

Mike
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
"Two Muslim religious leaders sue airlines for discrimination"

Ticket sold by Delta, segment operated by ASA. Plantiffs are going after everyone.

Sounds like the PIC for ASA is going to find himself under a microscope.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/19/travel...ml?hpt=hp_bn13

Yet...

The Delta manager made an announcement in the cabin of the plane stating if any passengers felt apprehensive about either of the men then they could get on another plane and receive a voucher, the lawsuit stated. "Except for the pilot, however, no one else on that plane indicated that they were uncomfortable with either plaintiff being on the flight," the complaint said.

Bad story that's going to get worse, yet to bring some levity to the situation...

There must not have been any FT'ers on the flight... our first words would have been... how much?...
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
wow. just wow.

The comments supporting the pilot on the CNN article show a disturbing number of ignorant people have access to the internet....
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by corbetti
The comments supporting the pilot on the CNN article show a disturbing number of ignorant people have access to the internet....
.... and that's CNN with a supposedly somewhat more educated demographic for an audience. There are other mainstream popular media sites where the audiences are even more radical.

Mix together the increased popularization of the internet and its supposed anonymity with the growing public tolerance for intolerance directed at some religious and/or ethnic demographic groups, the vulgarity -- even if profane four letter words or their derivatives/equivalents are removed -- really is not a surprise.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
If Delta is smart, they will offer a highly attractive settlement (many factors more than a $100 voucher), cut their losses, and run. This is not the kind of case to hang your reputation on, even if there is more to this story.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
"According to the suit, the official told passengers that anyone who was apprehensive about the presence of the two men could take a different plane and would be given a generous voucher. There were no takers. The pilot still refused to allow the men to board and they were booked on a later flight, the suit said."

There should have been no generous voucher, just the $150+ change fee and fare difference, if applicable for anyone too cowardly to be on the same plane. I'm pleased there were no takers.

+1 but pilots don't make much money especially flying the regionals so their payday (which they deserve) will have to come from the airlines.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by HongKonger
+1 but pilots don't make much money especially flying the regionals so their payday (which they deserve) will have to come from the airlines.
Depends. Perhaps the plaintiffs care less about getting money for themselves and more about making the captain suffer. A crushing debt that leads the captain to declare bankruptcy could exact a substantial penalty.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by DaDaDan
Depends. Perhaps the plaintiffs care less about getting money for themselves and more about making the captain suffer. A crushing debt that leads the captain to declare bankruptcy could exact a substantial penalty.
^ ^

It's a shame that a lengthy prison term is not possible.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
I'm sure the pilot will get his payday too. Rupert Murdock and the folks at Fox News probably need an in-house aviation expert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.