Kettle Invasion

Old May 11, 2011, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by AUDirt
Don't discount the imagineers just yet, though. Disney World is its own legal city, meaning that they have considerable control over what they do and do not put on their property. It would not shock me (at all) to find out that they have at least kicked around the possibility of nuclear power at some point.

(Note: I have no idea what kind of state and federal oversight is involved in constructing a nuclear reactor. But I'm willing to bet that Disney does )
Disney World has had their own natural gas fired power plant in Orlando for about 20 years. It's known as Reedy Creek Station and operates with 2 gas turbines. Even if they put in solar or wind or nuke power, none of them will be cheaper to install and run than this plant which was paid for years ago. Also note that when you put in solar or wind power, you still need a source of back up power (like their 2 gas turbines) because the wind doesn't always blow and the sun doesn't always shine.
Old May 12, 2011, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Hey all, OP here. Sorry I didn't respond to follow up questions, I was visiting family and didn't check the forum while doing so.

Just to note a few things now that I am home:

Someone asked about the seating configuration. When the kid was kicking my seat, the grandma (who had been in 4D) was sitting in 5C (the other daughter had switched with her).

I actually had 5 drinks on the plane, but only 3 were Woodford. The other 2 were wine with my dinner.

I really did want to send a complaint to Delta, because the flight was an awful experience, but instead I sent the following (I wanted to "protect" the cabin crew, because I was sure the family would make a stink in an effort to get some compensation):

I am currently on DL 1805. Somehow this family of 4 was booked in F on this flight due to IROPS. The family has made it their mission to ruin the flight for everyone else in the cabin. Fortunately, the Orlando-based flight crew led by Ana has bent over backwards to try and offset the disruption this family has caused. Ana and her colleagues are providing the high level of service that is typical of Delta flight attendants, and it is the commitment of these cabin crews that keep customers like myself loyal to the Delta brand, even when other customers do their best to ruin a flight.

I received the following reply yesterday:

Dear Mr. HouseRulz77,

RE: Case Number XXXXXXX

Thank you for contacting Delta Air Lines to share your feedback on the
wonderful service you received from our flight attendants, while
traveling with us on May 5. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

We truly appreciate the time you have taking to share your positive
comments regarding the service provided by our flight attendant Ana and
the rest of the Orlando-based crew, while traveling with us from Detroit
to Orlando. Though it sounds as if our flight attendants were trying
their best to not let other passengers be disturbed by this family, I
apologize that your flight in First Class was not as relaxing as it
should have been.

Additionally, as a SkyMiles member since 1992, you spend much of your
valuable time on our flights. I am so happy to hear that our flight crew
was able to make our experience a little better, despite the family of
four creating a disturbance. On behalf of everyone at Delta Air Lines,
I want to thank you for being one of our most valued customers and for
taking the time to recognize their exceptional service.

Please know I will be sharing your comments with our Inflight leadership
team so Ana and the rest of the crew receive appropriate recognition, on
your behalf. Thank you for sharing your thoughtful remarks.

Mr. HouseRulz77, as a Gold Medallion member, you are an integral part of our
customer base and we are always interested in your feedback. Thank you
for taking the time to write and compliment our flight attendants on
their service. We believe our team members are our most important
assets, and I am happy to learn our flight attendant exceeded your
expectations. We deeply value your business and look forward to serving
you soon.

Sincerely,

XXXX XXXXXXXXXX
Coordinator, Customer Care
Delta Air Lines/KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

All is well that ends well I suppose.
Old May 13, 2011, 5:32 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by Tibs
I grew up in the Orlando area and after 22 years I ran away and never looked back. I would do anything I could to avoid flying into Orlando. I remember when it was the OLD airpot off 50 - thats what - 30 years ago or something.

Orlando made me hate lines.

I hate MCO too which is why I pay xtra and fly in and out of MLB....

Daytona isn't that far away - like an hour - if you can get service on Delta there - or Tampa, hell I would fly to Miami and drive up there just to avoid kids.
Old May 13, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by Tibs
I grew up in the Orlando area and after 22 years I ran away and never looked back. I would do anything I could to avoid flying into Orlando. I remember when it was the OLD airpot off 50 - thats what - 30 years ago or something.

Orlando made me hate lines.

Daytona isn't that far away - like an hour - if you can get service on Delta there - or Tampa, hell I would fly to Miami and drive up there just to avoid kids.
I hate MCO too which is why I pay xtra and fly in and out of MLB....
Old May 14, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by mattwilkins
Originally Posted by houserulz77
First off......I swore I would never use the term "kettle" because I felt it was degrading.....but oh well.

I'm on 1805 DTW/MCO. Apparently this group of a mom, 2 daughters and the grand kid are all headed to see Mickey Mouse. They had some IROPs situation (probably got ejected from some flight) and because they no doubt complained something awful, they were put in F on this flight. The idiot (man I wish I had a name) CSA who dealt with them thought it would be ok to put this clan in 4A/D and 5A/D.
I'm sitting next to the mother, who is sitting in front of child, who is sitting with the sister. The mom is across the aisle from me, and she is working the guy in 4C to join the mile high club as much as the daughter is working me.
The kid is running up and down the aisle like a mad man, the FA (MCO based so used to this crap) is doing her best to keep everyone happy, and I am on my 5th Woodford.

Oh and the guy in 5C has an "emotional comfort animal" or whatever they call them - my allergies are going nuts.

This is how a young professional like me ends up like Thomas Hudson without the sense of humor.
I'm like you and really thought the term was somewhat degrading (I know it's used somewhat in jest), by my opinion changed as well on a recent, very delayed, LIT to ATL flight.

I normally dont get in on the discussions of "do kids belong in F or in the Sky Club," because as a kid I was lucky enough to ride F and go into the SC every time I flew. However, I honestly didn't act out because I knew that traveling with my parents was one of those times I had to be on my BEST BEHAVIOR. My mom always brought lots of stuff to keep me occupied and I always felt somewhat special getting to ride up front.

On my recent flight I had was in F and there was a family in F on a very early morning LIT to ATL flight. There were 4 adults and 2 lap children in total. We were on the plane a total of 4 hours for the flight and I swear by thirty minutes in I was trying to figure out a way to end my misery. Between people constantly kicking my seat and kids SCREAMING I couldnt take it. Halfway through the actual flight (significant ground delay) I ended up getting up and asking the FA permission to move back into couch as it was fairly empty and the entire bulkhead was free. It was my single worst experience on a plane....EVER.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
OP, you should have joined the mile high club with the daughter. (Was she hot?)

I definitely would have had the FA tell the grandmother to control the kid. I've never had a kid kick my seat, but I was once on a trans-Pacific flight with a loud kid across the aisle from me (not a baby who can't help it, a kid old enough to know better) and while everyone else was trying to sleep this kid was just playing very loudly. I first asked the kid directly, then later the father, then finally an FA to get him under control. Step 3 worked.
Old May 15, 2011, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I've never had a kid kick my seat, but I was once on a trans-Pacific flight with a loud kid across the aisle from me (not a baby who can't help it, a kid old enough to know better) and while everyone else was trying to sleep this kid was just playing very loudly. I first asked the kid directly, then later the father, then finally an FA to get him under control. Step 3 worked.
A week ago thursday when I flew DEN/LAX on Southwest, I had a family of kettles going to Disney sitting behind me. I had the worst IROPS situation imaginable with WN on the first leg of the trip and ended up getting less than 3 hours sleep in DEN and I just wanted to sleep for the entrie 2 hours of that flight and was impossible with the kettles sitting behind me. Was only a 2 hour flight and the kid kept getting up. Pa took the middle seat and MA conveniently took the window seat and Kelly took the aisle seat and I heard pa tell kelly several times ma was trying to sleep. Nice he was concerned about Ma getting rest but not the other people on the plane (2 hour flight and she got up at least 3 times).

While not kicking the seat, kelly kept putting her feet on the seat pushing in to me. I put the seat back up and GENTLY reclined it hoping she would get the hint. A couple minutes later she did it again so I repeated the procedure except not being gentle when I reclined the seat that time. She was still doing it and I just took my elbow and rammed it into the seat back where her feet were pushing and she FINALLY got the hint. Still wasn't able to sleep with the racket her and pa were causing but at least I didn't have anything pushing into my seat anymore.
Old May 15, 2011, 1:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Time to lock this one up.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.